digest for Sunday, July 4

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 1999
      Nondual digest for Sunday, July 4

      Today's digest includes postings from
      both the Nonduality Salon and HarshaSatsangh.

      What a lively group!

      From: WillCalvin@...

      This "universal sadness" is something felt, neither "good nor bad" but felt
      at the core. Nisargadatta once said something to the effect that "if there
      was no suffering, no one would turn to God". I see for myself that seeing and
      feeling what I would term a "sadness" is actually a quiet sweetness, a
      tearful pointer. My attention is there, but does not dwell there, simply

      Sadness is an aspect of my connection to humanity. I am grateful for it.

      I feel sadness, but I am not sad. The shades I wear aren't
      my eyes.

      What you are in essence - not the body, mind or personality - is already free
      and has never been anything but free. The rediscovery of that simplicity
      feels miraculous in the context of our complex human existence.

      Gloria G:

      The only true freedom comes from Divine Will so that in this we are absorbed
      into the truth of the universe and free from the anchors of the Earth. This is
      the freedom to be cosmic travelers.

      I am the pain and complexity
      of the one dreaming mind in miriad expressions
      and I am the silent perfect love behind, within,
      around all that - hidden and not hidden.

      I feel that it is possible to create something in the
      space between two people.

      "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name there
      I am also."

      life is beyond pain? Why should I live my life by anothers
      conditions(ing)? Why should I live life in fear? Your escape to the
      Buddha mind is just that, an escape... just like drugs, alcohol, tv,
      sleep, vacation, sex, whatever you do to get away... wholely satasfying
      and yet empty of reason in life nor can they be maintained for any
      length of time.

      No. Life is alive. Life is passion. Life is a cause. Life is a purpose.
      Life is love. Life is creation.. and destruction. Life is e-motion
      (energy motion). Life is all. Life is nothing. Is that not the message
      of the Buddha mind? Then, once learned, why do you cling to this
      attachment? Let it go and get back to your friends. Play with them,
      teach them, and 'learn' with them. Share a life that is abundant in all
      things. Or is it that you fear that you may lose that feeling of the
      Buddha mind? How can one unknow? Did Buddha 'stop' after he reached his
      Buddha mind? No. He 'moved', he taught, he learned, he shared and was
      shared with, he laughed, he cried... he lived 'secure' in his 'knowing'.

      "Take chances. Get messy. Make mistakes" is a quote from a show (The
      Magic School Bus) that I watch with my son. Get involved. Why do you
      drop your chains of existence only to bound yourself with the chains of
      nonexistence. Why 'bound' your 'self' with 'freedom'? Don't preach your
      truth.. live it! And see people open like flowers before you...
      believe.. have faith.. live and be free... are these not the paths that
      lead you to the Buddha mind? Then why now, upon attainment, do you drop
      these things? You are only half way there!

      Gentle Peace.

      Tim Harris

      Each of us, each point, is an actualization of the same point.
      We are each in all.

      from Nirmala

      " Light through a prism, a rainbow.
      Love through my heart,
      the spectrum of feelings revealed.
      Red anger to blue sadness,
      yellow fear to black dispair.
      Allow them back into my heart
      and the prism works in reverse
      turning the most deeply
      tinted pain back into
      pure white love."

      From: Xanma@...

      from Pamela Wilson

      " Love is like Mercury: Ungraspable.
      It rests in the silence of
      The Heart like the Sun
      at the core of the galaxy.
      Be quiet
      and It seeks you,
      until there is no difference
      between seeker and sought.
      Only the thrill of Oneness remains."

      Bruce wrote:

      .... Picture a
      few dozen pointing fingers,
      some slender and graceful,
      some callused and hirsute,
      some straight and still,
      some wagging and
      gesturing passionately --
      yet all honestly trying to
      draw the reader's
      perception toward the very
      same great, ultimately
      inexpressible truth.

      Conjoining happens when we
      let go of our desire for recognition and
      connection and notice the unity that
      already exists.

      Personally, I believe
      that it is this stillness of the Buddha mind is the half way point and that
      task becomes the ability of one to 'move' in this state in everyday
      experience... thus not creating bad karma but only good.

      As for who the 'masters' are, they are you, they are me... we can only master
      our 'self'.... anything else is teaching or learning... thank you for your
      response... it clears 'my' muddied waters on this issue... in other words.. I
      don't want to be a monk... I want to be a father, a husband, a friend, an
      experience... lol...

      Gentle Peace.

      Tim Harris

      realization may be
      instantaneous and
      effortless, but
      communication always
      seems arduous in one way
      or another. ...

      That which is instantaneous and effortless
      is also deep and difficult to grasp...

      Its appearance as a "thief in the night"
      isn't always so easy to accomodate

      Tim G:

      freedom HAS to begin with "the individual." The only divide that can
      be crossed is the divide within, our own tendency to separate everything
      into "good and bad," "right and wrong," "freedom and slavery," "us and
      them." The duality of opposites must be annihilated within each person, or
      freedom does not exist and will never exist. As long as there is conflict
      and duality within "individuals," there will be conflict in "the external
      world." Freedom begins within, and nowhere else.

      I have found that when I think I know I am least likely to
      know and when I am unknowing I am open.

      Though I think that I know what I know and thus mean what I say
      This doesn't mean that what I think I know is meaningful

      My knowing is not what I think
      My meaning is not what I think I mean

      I can't really know anything afresh. If I know it, it
      is already in the past.

      What I know is in the past
      My knowing is the present

      My knowledge is static
      My knowing is being

      I know my name
      My knowing has no name

      An early stage seems to be
      the idea of Self and infinity is
      there and the real-ization of it
      has yet to come. We humans,
      especially westerners have
      come to exalt the intellect.
      Moreover, many of us moved
      up to live in our heads to avoid
      the pain in our bodies from not
      being loved, heard and accepted.
      Naturally, this phase of awakening
      would begin here for many people.

      As Glo said "It's all perfect."
      My understanding of that is,
      there is an evolution of con-
      consciousness going on in
      our world and the more we
      accept this present moment
      of that process the more
      ease and joy there is in it.

      Marcia -

      Personally I think that alot of talking about realized states
      and realization is all in the head and not grounded in the

      Knowing in the body is key...
      The body is the container of the fear and wisdom
      It is where the ongoing work is done
      Jesus: This is my body
      (my body is the world)

      When hungry, be hungry
      When suffering, suffer

      There is no accepting or not accepting
      no entity who can accept or reject
      I am not saying this glibly, or as if it is an easy "answer"

      (borrowing from one of Sandeep's poems,
      and offered to my family on this
      'Independence Day'....)

      There is a place
      buried deep within all of us

      where there exists no
      from our yesterdays,

      where there exists no fear
      for our

      There is a place
      buried deep within all of us,

      where Love simply Is.

      I'll meet you there.
      ~Melody Anderson
      'Independence' Day, 1999

      >Ahhh......I call meditation the non-centered awareness. All
      >other forms of forml meditations are, imo, diferent kinds of con-
      >centration, practices, efforts -- even the effort not make efforts......

      Yes, then meditation and non-meditation are one at this point.
      Ivan: Finaly we may disgree :^)

      Does disagreement mean one is right and one is wrong?
      If so, then how can disagreement lead to truth?
      These disagreements are simply one opinion conflicting with another.
      As truth is not an opinion, no truth can come from this kind of argument.
      Only a better-informed opinion.

      From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@...>

      Tidbits from "Jonathon Livingston Seagull," by Richard Bachman...
      "Nonduality and Fiction" is the appropriate category.

      "Sullivan sighed, but he did not argue. 'I think I'll miss you, Jonathon,'
      was all he said.

      'Sully, for shame!' Jonathan said in reproach, 'and don't be foolish! What
      are we trying to practice every day? If our friendship depends on things
      like space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome
      space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left
      is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might
      see each other once or twice?'

      Sullivan Seagull laughed in spite of himself. 'You crazy bird,' he said

      "The next night from the Flock came Kirk Maynard Gull, wobbling across the
      sand, dragging his left wing, to collapse at Jonathon's feet. 'Help me,'
      he said very quietly, speaking in the way that the dying speak. 'I want to
      fly more than anything else in the world...'

      'Come along then,' said Jonathon. 'Climb with me away from the ground, and
      we'll begin.'

      'You don't understand. My wing. I can't move my wing.'

      'Maynard Gull, you have the freedom to be yourself, your true self, here
      and now, and nothing can stand in your way. It is the Law of the Great
      Gull, the Law that Is.'

      'Are you saying I can fly?'

      'I say you are free.'

      As simply and as quickly as that, Kirk Maynard Gull spreads his wings,
      effortlessly, and lifted into the dark night air. The Flock was roused
      from sleep by his cry, as loud as he could scream it, from five hundred
      feet up; 'I CAN FLY! LISTEN! I CAN FLY!'

      By sunrise there were nearly a thousand birds standing outside the circle
      of students, looking curiously at Maynard. They didn't care whether they
      were seen or not, and they listened, trying to understand Jonathan Seagull.

      He spoke of very simple things--that it is right for a gull to fly, that
      freedom is the very nature of his being, that whatever stands against that
      freedom must be set aside, be it ritual or superstition or limitation in
      any form.

      'Set aside,' came a voice from the multitude, 'even if it be the Law of the

      'The only true law is that which leads to freedom,' Jonathan said. 'There
      is no other.'

      'How do you expect us to fly as you fly?' came another voice. 'You are
      special and gifted and divine, above other birds.'

      'Look at Fletcher! Lowell! Charles-Roland! Judy Lee! Are they also
      special and gifted and divine? No more than you are, no more than I am.
      The only difference, the very only one, is that they have begun to
      understand what they really are and have begun to practice it.'

      Nav stated in his or her first letter:
      "Friend of mine recommended this list (HarshaSatsangh)
      because I am interested in spirituality." Please read that
      line again. If it didn't sound wimpy to you the first time,
      I hope it does now.

      Being curious is okay, but being very hungry, or aching 'to
      know', is a lot better. I hope you have some fire in you.
      Because your questions are nothing better than green

      Now curiosity can lead to hunger. If one can see why they
      are curious, and penetrate what that is, then one can become
      hungry to go deeper and deeper. And that's really why you
      were sent here, not to have your questions answered.

      So, as I asked in a separate post, Why are you here? Is it
      mere interest and curiosity? Or are you a drowning man in
      need of oxygen? There isn't much in between.

      I remember in 1975 asking for a book on Kundalini, and they
      wouldn't sell it to me. The guy said it was too dangerous.
      He said those books were only for people who'd gone through
      certain training. He probably sized me up and knew me better
      than I knew myself. Nowadays you go into the Bodhi Tree and
      they're handing out discount coupons for Kundalini books.
      How times have changed.

      Gloria Lee offered:

      Simplify, simplify, simplify. _____Thoreau

      "I love you just the way you are." _____Mr. Rogers