Wednesday/June 14

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2000
      Here Comes the Flood

      When the night shows
      the signals grow on radios
      All the strange things
      they come and go, as early warnings
      Stranded starfish have no place to hide
      still waiting for the swollen Easter tide
      There's no point in direction we cannot even choose a side.

      I took the old track
      the hollow shoulder, across the waters
      On the tall cliffs
      they were getting older, sons and daughters
      The jaded underworld was riding high
      Waves of steel hurled metal at the sky
      and as the nail sunk in the cloud, the rain was warm and
      soaked the
      crowd.

      Lord, here comes the flood
      We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
      If again the seas are silent
      in any still alive
      It'll be those who gave their island to survive
      Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

      When the flood calls,
      You have no home, you have no walls
      In the thunder crash
      You're a thousand minds, within a flash
      Don't be afraid to cry at what you see
      The actors gone, there's only you and me
      And if we break before the dawn, they'll use up what we used
      to be.

      Lord, here comes the flood
      We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
      If again, the seas are silent
      in any still alive
      It'll be those who gave their island to survive
      Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

      --Mark Otter

      What could be more ludicrous
      Or boring
      Than a discussion about the truth?
      --Michael Johnson

      1.

      Ram Tzu has some questions for you...
      Just who do you think you are?
      Are you other than God?
      Are you separate from Me?

      If so...
      What are you made of?
      Where did it come from?

      Don't look to science to help you.
      The physicists have all become mystics.
      They're of no more use to you than is Ram Tzu.

      If you're really clever you'll turn around
      And walk away
      Fast!
      Hang around here and you're liable to lose
      Everything you hold dear.

      Your therapist, your drug dealer, your ashram.
      There you may find a moments peace.
      You found it there once.
      Here is only emptiness for you.
      You'll find no food for your ego here.

      What if your precious sense of self
      Were to shrivel up and die?
      Where would you be then?
      What would happen?

      Best not to risk it.

      -- RAM TZU

      http://www.advaita.org/

      Dave (Manchine):

      Here in central Chile, there was a 20 year record
      rainstorm, closed down everything, practically. Man we
      humans don't like to get wet... almost worse than cats.

      I was driving to work, (more like rowing, the streets turn
      into rivers here) when I looked over and saw a dog picking
      away happily at his regular smorgasbord of garbage, as if
      nothing was happening.

      Man it's a dog's life, no?

      *****

      Melody:

      That reminded me of a scene in the movie 'Instinct' I
      talked about last week.

      The character played by Anthony Hopkins was sitting in the
      forest.... in the midst of a rain storm. He was huddled
      under a giant leaf, miserable, trying to stay dry.

      He looked up and noticed that the apes were all going about
      their day....with no show of resistance ....no show of
      aggrevation or discomfort....no hiding from the elements.

      So he dropped his leaf, and within moments, he was
      celebrating the experience of rain.... arms
      outstretched....eyes turned upwards... welcoming every
      drop.

      Melody

      \ /
      \O/
      | \ ^ ^
      | | __/OvO\
      / \ /\ /\U
      _/ \_ / \/ \

      --Dave

      A great place to buy and sell used books: half.com

      --Michael Johnson

      Everything simply *is*. Call it perfect if you want? :-) Go
      right ahead, I dare you! :-)

      --Judi Rhodes

      *****

      Found this little ditty by my very dear friend Steven
      Lightfoot over in the zen newsgroup....

      Someone said: The heart is a lonely hunter.

      Steven Lightfoot: An empty heart is a lonely hunter, a full
      one overflows and finds others.

      --Judi Rhodes

      Gloria Lee gives in and starts an online journal:

      Okay, okay..you talked me into it. For better or worse,
      here is my first one. I hadn't quite realized where this
      was taking me until I did write it down, so it does take
      one deeper simply to start writing about the day.

      Gloria

      http://www.livejournal.com/users/nirvana/

      David Hodges discusses journal keeping. There was a second
      letter in this series by David, but it is not included. It
      will be posted to a web page along with other material on
      the subject.

      One of the best - and oldest - workshops available on
      journalling teaches Ira Progoff's "Intensive Journal"
      method. I went to one of their workshops about 10 years
      ago, and I got a lot out of it. But I found the loose leaf
      notebook approach, with lots of tabbed sections in it, got
      unwieldy, and I lapsed back to my more sequential method
      which I had been using since I was in high school. Of
      course the Internet then was unknown by the general public
      and the thought of doing my journalling online would never
      have occurred to me.

      There is a website at http://www.intensivejournal.org with
      information about Intensive Journalling. And an excellent,
      book, "At a Journal Workshop: Writing to Access the Power
      of the Unconscious and Evoke Creative Ability" at
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0874776384/qid=961027457/sr=1-1/104-3969909-5374348
      Here is a lengthy quote from Ira Progoff about his method.

      The Intensive Journal workbook contains both "log" sections
      and "feedback" sections. In the log sections, we record the
      factual data of our lives. The feedback sections are used
      to carry out the active exercises that generate the energy
      and momentum to propel us forward to develop our lives
      further. The workbook also is divided into four main parts
      or dimensions that each have their own realm of human
      experience, content, and characteristic ways of expression.
      These are: "Life/ Time," "Dialogue," "Depth," and
      "Meaning." Each of these dimensions in turn, is divided
      into subsections or "miniprocesses."

      In the Life/Time Dimension, we deal with the other level of
      experiences, our personal life history. This dimension
      includes the major periods or phases (Steppingstones) of
      our lives, important choices made (Roads Taken and Not
      Taken) and provides a vehicle for reviewing these periods
      to gain a perspective on the continuity of our lives.
      Through these exercises, we explore in detail new
      possibilities and interests that were not developed yet as
      a way to broaden our range of opportunities in life.

      Working in the Dialogue Dimension, we enter into a dialogue
      relationship with each of the major facets of our lives:
      personal relationships, work and special projects, body and
      health, events and society. By "walking in the shoes" of
      the other person or object, individuals deepen their
      relationship with that aspect of our lives, avoid blockages
      and preconceived notions and gain insights that otherwise
      would not be possible. In the course of these dialogues, we
      often find that we write things that we do not know that we
      knew.

      In the Depth Dimension, we explore our symbolic messages in
      the form of dreams and imagery. The exercises provide a way
      for individuals to bring these elusive images up from their
      depths to the surface to be developed further through
      various non-analytical techniques. By developing our
      sensitivity to these messages, our intuitive capacities are
      strengthened that provide new energy and leads for our work
      in other dimensions of the workbook.

      The fourth dimension, the Meaning Dimension, focuses on the
      fundamentals of life: values, priorities, and ultimate
      concerns that motivate people. We focus extensively on
      connecting to larger than personal aspects of society
      whether through symbols or experiences. When people become
      connected they are strengthened inside. Individuals also
      utilize the dialogue techniques to learn from a person,
      whether from the past or present, who can teach us
      something about life.

      This dimension also includes Entrance Meditation techniques
      that are used throughout our Journal work, that provide a
      neutral way for entering into our depths to tap into these
      symbolic feelings. The Meaning Dimension is helpful to
      people because they can only be fulfilled when they have
      meaning in life. Meaning also produces a great energy that
      can have very positive effects on their lives.

      Interviewer: Initially, the amount of sections seems
      overwhelming. A person could spend hours on their journal
      daily. Is that what typically happens?

      Ira: The Intensive Journal workbook is not overwhelming.
      Rather, the Method helps individuals get a handle on the
      many elusive and challenging aspects of life. Because the
      workbook mirrors the contents of our lives, the Method's
      structure and organization helps people to write down their
      journal entries in a systematic way and to develop them
      further.

      "All your efforts to become enlightened are ridiculous if
      you don't accept this basic fact, that you are buddhas.
      This has to become a tacit understanding, that you are it!
      This is the right beginning, otherwise you go astray. This
      is the right beginning! Start with this vision, and don't
      be worried that this may create some kind of ego--that "I
      am a Buddha," because the whole process will make it clear
      to you that the ego is the only thing that doesn't
      exist--the only thing that doesn't exist! Everything else
      is real. Once the buddhahood becomes revealed the 'I'
      disappears, just like darkness disappears when you bring a
      light in."

      ~ Osho (contributed by Melody)

      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com