#3778 - Saturday, January 16, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2010

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3778, Saturday, January 16, 2010

      Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works.

      Thomas J. Peters, posted to Distillation

      When you truly realize that this life and living is an absurdity, then you join in the dance. You take part in this absurdity. The body-mind organism continues to live in the world, but without any sense of personal doership.

      everywhere
      the aroma of God
      begins to arrive

      look at these people
      not knowing their feet from head
      as they begin to arrive

      every soul is seeking His soul
      every soul parched with thirst
      they've all heard the voice
      of the quencher of thirst

      everyone tastes the love
      everyone tastes the milk
      anxious to know
      from where the real mother
      begins to arrive

      waiting in fever
      wondering ceaselessly
      when will that final union
      begin to arrive

      Moslems and Christians and Jews
      raising their hands to the sky
      their chanting voice in unison
      begin to arrive
      how happy is the one
      whose heart's ear
      hears that special voice
      as it begins to arrive

      clear your ears my friend
      from all impurity
      a polluted ear
      can never hear the sound
      as it begins to arrive

      if your eyes are marred
      with petty visions
      wash them with tears
      your teardrops are healers
      as they begin to arrive

      keep silence
      don't rush to finish your poem
      the finisher of the poem
      the creator of the word
      will begin to arrive

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 837, translation by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Once you know your mind and its miraculous powers, and remove what poisoned it - the idea of a separate and isolated person - you just leave it alone to do its work among things for which it is well suited. To keep the mind in its own place and on its own work is the liberation of the mind.

      From Dede:

      I find myself in this state that I can only describe as "waiting" Waiting for the moment when this belief in "me" evaporates and I am gone. I really want to be gone, to escape the suffering that being a body/mind entails. I notice the desire to be free, and that is a form of grasping.... so there I am... grasping for freedom...knowing full well that it is the very grasping that prevents the freedom form being realised! Feels like such a trap. I know there really is no prison Blah blah blah, but that is like telling a thirsty man that he is made of 98% water! WHo cares, if suffering feels real, then for all practical purposes it is! What am I missing here? What will finally trigger a "seeing"?

      From Scott:

      This "waiting" is the story of me. It is the story of time, of always placing freedom out beyond ourselves, in some future moment, in avoidance of the fact that presence is already free. You realize this, as you've stated in your question.

      What will finally trigger a "seeing?" When that question is no longer really prominent for you. The question is still placing it out in time, like an event. It can look like an event. Everything looks like an event from the point of view of the story. Although spiritual experiences can happen, the seeing itself is not an experience or an event. It is a seeing that all experiences, questions, answers, pointers, emotions, thoughts, and event come and go within a space that never leaves. That space is what you are.

      Be only interested in your present experience. As the thought appears, "I'll like to have this seeing," just notice that thought. Look at it and watch it gently fall away. If emotions appear with the story, just notice them also. Be only interested in present space, in the space that sees both the story and the emotions. Rest there and see, if only for one moment, that this awareness is already free. It is free because it is not involved in the game of time. Only thought is involved in that game. Awareness is just here, always, as the present space in which these thoughts about future awakening come and go.

      As you are looking from and as this awareness, it is like that another thought will appear that says, "This awareness doesn't feel enlightened. It doesn't feel free." Just see that thought and notice that what sees it is awareness. Just stick with this basic fact. You know already that going back time and again into these appearances has not brought the freedom you are looking for.

      In no longer adding to these thoughts, no longer trying to manipulate them, analyze, or get rid of them, they are allowed to gently come to rest. And every time they come to rest, they rest back into the very awareness that you are seeking. Be only interested, at least for a while, in what this space is right here and now that never changes. It is so intimately here. It is the only thing you can never escape because it is you. Everything else comes and goes. Thoughts, emotions, questions, answers, spiritual pointers, all of it comes and goes. But the space remains. The space doesn't even leave while things are appearing within it. Space can't leave. But in continuously looking to appearances like, "When will this happen for me?" which is a thought, we miss the stable space that is what we are.

      As you read even these pointers on this page, watch them all go. They just leave like everything else. And yet you remain, the space in which everything comes and goes. The tendency when these pointers go away is to look for more pointers, more thoughts, more appearances. And yet, if you are really paying attention, you will see that those appearances also come and go. As soon as something appears it is already on its way out. The death of each appearance is revealing to you your real identity as that which remains as the appearances leave.

      Scott Kiloby, posted to OAStudygroup

      True understanding, which is enlightenment, can happen only when there is total effortlessness - in other words, in the utter absence of any comprehender. Then there is only the witnessing of the dream of life without the least desire to change anything.

      - Ramesh S. Balsekar, posted to Distillation