#3773 - Monday, January 11, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2010

      #3773 - Monday, January 11, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -

      Those who don't feel this Love
      pulling them like a river,
      those who don't drink dawn
      like a cup of spring water
      or take in sunset like supper,
      those who don't want to change,

      let them sleep.

      This Love is beyond the study of theology,
      that old trickery and hypocrisy.
      If you want to improve your mind that way,

      sleep on.

      I've given up on my brain.
      I've torn the cloth to shreds
      and thrown it away.

      If you're not completely naked,
      wrap your beautiful robe of words
      around you,

      and sleep.

      - Rumi

      posted to Facebook by Mark Roske

      Greg Goode and Chris Hebard

      Common Misconceptions regarding Enlightenment
      http://www.stillnessspeaks.com/ssblog/greg_goode_and_chris_hebard/

      Today, we begin sharing footage filmed at The Science and NonDuality Conference 2009 starting with our interview for Conscious.tv with Greg Goode and Chris Hebard discussing," Common Misconceptions regarding Enlightenment."

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Proverbs and Songs

      By Antonio Machado
      (1875 - 1939)

      English version by Robert Bly

      Dedicated to Jose Ortega y Gasset

                The eye you see is not
      an eye because you see it;
      it is an eye because it sees you.

      II
                To talk with someone,
      ask a question first,
      then -- listen.

      III
                Narcissism
      is an ugly fault,
      and now it's a boring fault too.

      IV
                But look in your mirror for the other one,
      the other one who walks by your side.

                Between living and dreaming
      there is a third thing.
      Guess it.

      VI
                This Narcissus of ours
      can't see his face in the mirror
      because he has become the mirror.

      VII
                New century? Still
      firing up the same forge?
      Is the water still going along in its bed?

      VIII
                Every instant is Still.

      IX
                The sun in Aries. My window
      is open to the cool air.
      Oh the sound of the water far off!
      The evening awakens the river.

                In the old farmhouse
      -- a high tower with storks! --
      the gregarious sound falls silent,
      and in the field where no on is,
      water makes a sound among the rocks.

      XI
                Just as before, I'm interested
      in water held in;
      but now water in living
      rock of my chest.

      XII
                When you hear water, does its sound tell you
      if it's from a mountain or farm,
      city street, formal garden, or orchard?

      XIII
                What I find surprises me:
      leaves of the garden balm
      smell of lemonwood.

      XIV
                Don't trace out your profile,
      forget your side view --
      all that is outer stuff.

      XV
                Look for your other half
      who walks always next to you
      and tends to be what you aren't.

      XVI
                When spring comes,
      go to the flowers --
      why keep on sucking wax?

      XVII
                In my solitude
      I have seen things very clearly
      that were not true.

      XVIII
                Water is good, so is thirst;
      shadow is good, so is sun;
      the honey from the rosemarys
      and the honey of the bare fields.

      XIX
                Only one creed stands:
      quod elixum est ne asato.
      Don't roast what's already boiled.

      XX
                Sing on, sing on, sing on,
      the cricket in his cage
      near his darling tomato.

      XXI
                Form your letters slowly and well:
      making things well
      is more important than making them.

      XXII
                All the same...
                                    Ah yes! All the same,
      moving the legs fast is important,
      as the snail said to the greyhound.

      XXIII
                There are really men of action now!
      The marsh was dreaming
      of its mosquitoes.

      XXIV
                Wake up, you poets:
      let echoes end,
      and voices begin.

      XXV
                But don't hunt for dissonance;
      because, in the end, there is no dissonance.
      When the sound is heard people dance.

      XXVI
                What the poet is searching for
      is not the fundamental I
      but the deep you.

      XXVII
                The eyes you're longing for --
      listen now --
      the eyes you see yourself in
      are eyes because they see you.

      XXVIII
                Beyond living and dreaming
      there is something more important:
      waking up.

      XXIX
                Now someone has come up with this!
      Cogito ergo non sum.
      What an exaggeration!

      XXX
                I thought my fire was out,
      and stirred the ashes...
      I burnt my fingers.

      XXXI
                Pay attention now:
      a heart that's all by itself
      is not a heart.

      XXXII
                I've caught a glimpse of him in dreams:
      expert hunter of himself,
      every minute in ambush.

      XXXIII
                He caught his bad man:
      the one who on sunny days
      walks with head down.

      XXXIV
                If a poem becomes common,
      passed around, hand to hand, it's OK:
      gold is chosen for coins.

      XXXV
                If it's good to live,
      then it's better to be asleep dreaming,
      and best of all,
      mother, is to awake.

      XXXVI
                Sunlight is good for waking,
      but I prefer bells --
      the best thing about morning.

      XXXVII
                Among the figs I am soft.
      Among the rocks I am hard.
      That's bad!

      XXXVIII
                When I am alone
      how close my friends are;
      when I am with them
      how distant they are!

      XXXIX
                Now, poet, your prophecy?
      "Tomorrow what is dumb will speak,
      the human heart and the stone."

      XL
                But art?
                                    It is pure and intense play,
      so it is like pure and intense life,
      so it is like pure and intense fire.
      You'll see the coal burning.

      -- from Times Alone: Selected Poems of Antonio Machado, Translated by Robert Bly

      Amazon.com

      / Photo by lanchongzi /

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      The ego is a tension in the awareness.
      It is a psychic muscle spasm.
      When you finally relax out of it,
      the relief is so immense
      that you are overcome with bliss.

      ============

      Here's your Daily Music selection --

      Sufi Moon

      Sufi Moon

      Listen - Purchase

      More Music Selections

      Hi Gloria -

      Aren't these riddling, haiku-like proverbs wonderful? I'm not sure they all entirely make sense even, but they bring the mind to a stop in contemplation and happy confusion.

      Gathered together, I notice certain themes in these verses: Water keeps appearing, how its flow animates us and sustains us as it does the world. Narcissism and relationship with others. Action and stillness, how stillness underlies action, stillness suggesting something of the eternal. The seeing beyond the surface of reality to its inner depths, seeing the true nature of things. Waking up. And the secret, mysterious self.

      Let's just take a look at the opening verse, delightful and arcane:

      The eye you see is not
      an eye because you see it;
      it is an eye because it sees you.

      That first verse draws me in immediately. If I really want to find meaning in that first verse, perhaps he is saying that an eye is not an eye because it appears to be so (not "because you see it") but because it sees. Maybe he is suggesting that it is not surface appearance but function and action that reveals the true nature of things. ...But I don't think reading such specific meaning in the verse is as important as simply being knocked cold by it.

      Almost every pithy, strange saying stands out to me here. I could highlight them all. Instead, I encourage you to go back and read them slowly, one at a time, let them parade through the back of your thoughts as you go through your day. What are they saying to you?

      Ivan

      Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

      Support the Poetry Chaikhana

      Poetry Chaikhana Home

      New
      | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | Contact
      Poets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | Commentary

      Blog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

      www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

      Poetry Chaikhana
      P.O. Box 2320
      Boulder, CO 80306

      Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.
      All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.