#3766 - Monday, January 4, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2010

      #3766 - Monday, January 4, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -

      Hypothetical questions get hypothetical answers.
      - Joan Baez

      "This aloneness is worth more than a thousand lives.
      This freedom is worth more than all the lands on earth.
      To be one with the truth for just a moment,
      Is worth more than the world and life itself."

      - Rumi

      posted on Facebook by Chris Hebard

       by Alan Larus

      "The silence of a quiet mind is the essence of that beauty. Because it is
      silent and because it is not the plaything of thought, then in that silence
      there comes that which is indestructible, which is sacred. In the coming of
      that which is sacred then life becomes sacred, your life becomes sacred, our
      relationship becomes sacred, everything becomes sacred."

      - Krishnamurti

      Scott Kiloby

      When we say that all there is, is `this,' it includes the whole
      ball of wax.  Recognizing timeless presence reveals that time is an
      appearance of presence, as is cause and effect, becoming, evolution,
      etc.  Yet it doesn't mean that we throw all those appearances out.
      This, again, is why I think the teaching of inseparability is important.
      This is not about denying time, cause and effect, evolution, and other
      concepts.  It is about seeing that they are concepts and they are
      appearing within timeless awareness.  They are inseparable from the
      awareness within which they come and go.  So far from being a denial of
      the "world," this is about seeing that the world is an
      inseparable appearance within that which sees the world.  This is the
      end of separation. It is not just the end of believing we are separate
      people.  It is the end of believing that awareness is some metaphysical
      realization detached from our everyday experience.  There is no
      awareness "over here" and the world "over there."  There
      is no separation between what we are calling awareness and the world.
      This was expressed beautifully by the Indian sage, Shankara:

      The world is an illusion
      Brahman alone is real
      Brahman is the world

      The recognition of awareness is the seeing that what we took to be
      totally real, the "world," is merely an appearance within
      something completely stable and eternal-awareness.  The world is
      illusory, like a dream.  And there is an actual recognition of awareness
      available.  It's not a fairy tale.  But then we see that there is no
      separation between those two things.  There is no gap.  Brahman
      (awareness) IS the world.

      In Zen, it is expressed this way:

      First there are mountains

      Then there are no mountains

      Then there are mountains again

      As mountains return, we see that they (and all other "things")
      have no independent existence from the space within which they appear.
      You are THAT.

      This is stated in other ways when we say that consciousness is the
      content of consciousness and vice versa, or emptiness is none other than
      form. This is "not two."  Non-duality.

      When I speak of recognizing non-conceptual awareness, that is the seeing
      that there are no mountains.  Mountains are concepts.  There is no
      world.  The world is a set of beliefs.  Yet, when there is real clarity
      in that, concepts appear again.  Yet now they are seen to be what they
      are, empty, inseparable appearances within the empty awareness that sees
      them.

      So, in the recognition of awareness, life will continue to unfold in
      appearances.  Isn't it wonderful and mysterious to realize this?
      Non-duality leaves you right where you started, in the here and now, but
      without the notion of separation.

      How will that manifest in the future?  Will "This" appear
      differently?  Of course it will, appearances move and change.  That is
      what they do.  Awareness is like the unmoving and unchanging space
      within which that happens.  The two are inseparable.

      We want to be clear about the fact that "future" is nothing more
      than a thought appearing in present awareness, right here and now.  This
      brings it home completely.  We see that we are already at home.  This is
      utopia.  This is love.  This is the Kingdom of Heaven.  In seeing this,
      there really is the possibility of transformation, ironically.  There
      will be the appearance of a next moment.  And it will also be
      `this.'  But it will look very different.  It may appear
      conceptually as "evolution."

      How will it actually look?  Who could know . . .   We could speculate.
      And speculation is quite fun.  Maybe there is a bright future for
      humanity.  Maybe the earth will destroy itself.  Who could know?

      Although there is no "we" ultimately, paradoxically, we are in
      this together.  This unfolding..  What else is there to do other
      than to be peace, to show compassion, to love, to be there for others
      when there is suffering, to speak of how separation is illusory?  How
      that will manifest is a mystery.  We'll see.

      posted on