#3759 - Monday, December 28, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2009
      #3759 - Monday, December 28, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nisargadatta Maharaj: When the words are spoken, there is silence. When the relative is over, the absolute remains. The silence before the words were spoken, is it different from the silence that comes after? The silence is one and without it the words could not have been heard. It is always there -- at the back of the words. Shift your attention from words to silence and you will hear it.

      The mind craves for experience, the memory of which it takes for knowledge. The jnani is beyond all experience, and his memory is empty of the past. He is entirely unrelated to anything in particular. But the mind craves for formulations and definitions, always eager to squeeze reality into a verbal shape. Of everything it wants an idea, for without ideas the mind is not.

      Reality is essentially alone, but the mind will not leave it alone -- and deals instead with the unreal. And yet it is all the mind can do -- discover the unreal as unreal.

      Questioner: And seeing the real as real?

      Maharaj: There is no such state as seeing the real. Who is to see what? You can only *be* the real -- which you are, anyhow. The problem is only mental. Abandon false ideas, that is all. There is no need of true ideas. There aren't any.

      posted to Facebook by Tim Gerchmez

      From: 'The Essential Rumi'  Barks/Moyne

      ~ The Dream That Must be Interpreted ~

      This place is a dream.
      Only a sleeper considers it real.

      Then death comes like dawn,
      and you wake up laughing
      at what you thought was your grief.

      But there's a difference with this dream.
      Everything cruel and unconscious
      done in the illusion of the present world,
      all that does not fade away at the death-waking.

      It stays,
      and it must be interpreted.

      All the men laughing,
      all the quick, sexual wanting,
      those torn coats of Joseph,
      they change into powerful wolves
      that you must face.

      The retaliation that sometimes comes now,
      the swift, payback hit,
      is just a boy's game
      to what the other will be.

      You know about circumcision here.
      It's full castration there!

      And this groggy time we live,
      This is what it's like:

      A man goes to sleep in the town
      where he has always lived, and he dreams he's living
      in another town.

      In the dream, he doesn't remember
      the town he's sleeping in his bed in. He believes
      the reality of the dream town.

      The world is that kind of sleep.

      The dust of many crumbled cities
      settles over us like a forgetful doze,
      but we are older than those cities.

      We began
      as a mineral. We emerged into plant life
      and into the animal state, and then into being human,
      and always we have forgotten our former states,
      except in the early spring when we slightly recall
      being green again.

      That's how a young person turns
      toward a teacher. That's how a baby leans
      toward the breast, without knowing the secret
      of its desire, yet turning instinctively.

      Humankind is being led along an evolving course,
      through this migration of intelligences,
      and though we seem to be sleeping,
      there is an inner wakefulness
      that directs the dream,

      and that will eventually startle us back
      to the truth of who we are.

      ---
      gill
      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      74) What Is Meant By Transparent And Luminous? (OASG 83)
      I would like to ask you to expand upon the words, transparent and luminous, that you use a lot, both here and in your book, which I feel reflect a greater depth of understanding and Presence.

      Excerpt:

      Dear Ian,

      Ian: "In the knowledge that 'I am', Consciousness and Being are one.
      When this is known, the mind, the body and the world become transparent and luminous. They shine with Presence, as Presence."

      Rupert: The world is made only of seeing, hearing, touching, tasting and smelling. Let us call these, perceiving.

      Perceiving is made of mind and mind is made of Consciousness.

      Consciousness has no colour of its own and as the world (that is, perceiving) is only made out of this colourless Presence, it is sometimes referred to as being transparent.

      Consciousness is the light that illumines all experience and as there is no other substance to our experience of the world other than this luminous Consciousness, the world is known to be luminous, made out of the light of Knowing.

      Consciousness illumines the apparent world and its light is also the substance of that which it illumines and knows. In other words, the Knowing of the world and the Existence of the world are made out of the same transparent, luminous stuff.