#3751 - Sunday, December 20. 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3751, Sunday, December 20, 2009

      Be fully aware of your own being and you will be in bliss consciously. Because you take your mind off yourself and make it dwell on what you are not, you lose your sense of well-being.

      When 'my' and 'thy' merge, there is total surrender; your will is one with the totality.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches?

      Have you ever tried to enter the long black branches of other lives -
      tried to imagine what the crisp fringes, full of honey, hanging
      from the branches of the young locust trees, in early morning, feel like?

      Do you think this world was only an entertainment for you?

      Never to enter the sea and notice how the water divides
      with perfect courtesy, to let you in!
      Never to lie down on the grass, as though you were the grass!
      Never to leap to the air as you open your wings over the dark acorn of your
      heart!

      No wonder we hear, in your mournful voice, the complaint
      that something is missing from your life!

      Who can open the door who does not reach for the latch?
      Who can travel the miles who does not put one foot
      in front of the other, all attentive to what presents itself
      continually?
      Who will behold the inner chamber who has not observed
      with admiration, even with rapture, the outer stone?

      Well, there is time left -
      fields everywhere invite you into them.

      And who will care, who will chide you if you wander away
      from wherever you are, to look for your soul?

      Quickly, then, get up, put on your coat, leave your desk!

      To put one's foot into the door of the grass, which is
      the mystery, which is death as well as life, and
      not be afraid!

      To set one's foot in the door of death, and be overcome
      with amazement!

      To sit down in front of the weeds, and imagine
      god the ten-fingered, sailing out of his house of straw,
      nodding this way and that way, to the flowers of the
      present hour,
      to the song falling out of the mockingbird's pink mouth,
      to the tippets of the honeysuckle, that have opened

      in the night

      To sit down, like a weed among weeds, and rustle in the wind!

      Listen, are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?

      While the soul, after all, is only a window,

      and the opening of the window no more difficult
      than the wakening from a little sleep.

      Only last week I went out among the thorns and said
      to the wild roses:
      deny me not,
      but suffer my devotion.
      Then, all afternoon, I sat among them. Maybe

      I even heard a curl or tow of music, damp and rouge red,
      hurrying from their stubby buds, from their delicate watery bodies.

      For how long will you continue to listen to those dark shouters,
      caution and prudence?
      Fall in! Fall in!

      A woman standing in the weeds.
      A small boat flounders in the deep waves, and what's coming next
      is coming with its own heave and grace.

      Meanwhile, once in a while, I have chanced, among the quick things,
      upon the immutable.
      What more could one ask?

      And I would touch the faces of the daises,
      and I would bow down
      to think about it.

      That was then, which hasn't ended yet.

      Now the sun begins to swing down. Under the peach-light,
      I cross the fields and the dunes, I follow the ocean's edge.

      I climb, I backtrack.
      I float.
      I ramble my way home.

      - Mary Oliver, posted to Allspirit

      The shell must be cracked apart if what is in it is to come out, for if you want the kernel you must break the shell. And therefore, if you want to discover nature's nakedness, you must destroy its symbols, and the farther you get in the nearer you come to its essence. When you come to the One that gathers all things up into itself, there your soul must stay.

      - Meister Eckhart, posted to AlongTheWay

      If we are still wondering how to awaken, I suggest that we meditate now and then and focus on the following question: "What is holding me back from realizing my true nature, my Buddha Nature?" This is a very powerful inquiry. I am sharing this based on my own meditation practice. This is one of my favorite meditations because it always takes me to the place where I cannot blame anybody or anything for my lack of awakening.

      When we open our hearts and let go of all of our theories and speculations, when we are not distracted even by spiritual fantasies, when we simply wholeheartedly and courageously inquire into what is holding us back, that is all that we need to do. Sometimes it is good when we are by ourselves to.. shout loudly to the sky, "Who is holding me back from awakening right now?" Or we can just ask the truth, "What is holding me back from awakening right now?" Either way we can't find any answer because there is nobody there. There is nothing holding us back and that's why we never really find any answers.

      If anybody tells us that they have the answer, they are obviously lying because there isn't any answer. Next we might ask, "If there are no obstacles holding me back, then why am I not awakened right now?" And when we look we realize that we are attached to our thoughts. That's all that is happening. Samsara is nothing more than our identification with thoughts. That's all there is. There is nothing there except thoughts.

      - Anam Thubten, from No Self, No Problem, posted to Distillation