#3750 - Saturday, December 19, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3750, Saturday, December 19, 2009

      Mameen

      Be infinitessimal under that sky, a creature
      even the sailing hawk misses, a wraith
      among the rocks where the mist parts slowly.
      Recall the way mere mortals are overwhelmed
      by circumstance, how great reputations
      dssolve with infirmity and how you,
      in particular, live a hairsbreadth from losing
      everyone you hold dear.

      Then, look back down the path as if seeing
      your past and then south over the hazy blue
      coast as if present to a wide future.
      Remember the way you are all possibilities
      you can see and how you live best
      as an appreciator of horizons,
      whether you reach them or not.
      Admit that once you have got up
      from your chair and opened the door,
      once you have walked out into the clean air
      toward that edge and taken the path up high
      beyond the ordinary, you have become
      the privileged and the pilgrim,
      the one who will tell the story
      and the one, coming back
      from the mountain,
      who helped to make it.

      - David Whyte, from River Flow

      words do not come
      there is no need for profound utterances or
      deep truths
      here is an ordinary evening
      why spoil it with dramatic overstatement

      the silence amidst the noise
      the gem at the core
      of every experience
      is polished by simple attention
      into shining magnificence

      - Nirmala, from Gifts with No Giver: a love affair with truth

      When you are attentive to something you are fixed on the object but when you are simply in attention you are free from all grasping.

      - Jean Klein from I Am

      Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith

      Every summer
      I listen and look
      under the sun's brass and even
      into the moonlight, but I can't hear

      anything, I can't see anything -
      not the pale roots digging down, nor the green stalks muscling up,
      nor the leaves
      deepening their damp pleats,

      nor the tassels making,
      nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
      And still,
      every day,

      the leafy fields
      grow taller and thicker -
      green gowns lofting up in the night,
      showered with silk.

      And so, every summer,
      I fail as a witness, seeing nothing -
      I am deaf too
      to the tick of the leaves,

      the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet -
      all of it
      happening
      beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.

      And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
      Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
      Let the wind turn in the trees,
      and the mystery hidden in the dirt

      swing through the air.
      How could I look at anything in this world
      and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
      What should I fear?

      One morning
      in the leafy green ocean
      the honeycomb of the corn's beautiful body
      is sure to be there.

      - Mary Oliver, from West Wind: Poems and Prose Poems

      Reality

      In love, nothing exists between heart and heart.
      Speech is born out of longing,
      True description from the real taste.
      The one who tastes, knows;
      the one who explains, lies.
      How can you describe the true form of Something
      In whose presence you are blotted out?
      And in whose being you still exist?
      And who lives as a sign for your journey?

      - Rabia al Basri