#3740 - Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2009
      #3740 - Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Happy Hanukah
      The Essence of Chutzpah
      The Yiddish word Chutzpah can be translated as gall, brazen
      nerve, effrontery, sheer guts plus arrogance; but, as Leo Rosten
      observes, no other word, and no other language, can do it justice.
      Here's a sterling example...
      A little old lady sold pretzels on a street corner for 25 cents each.
      Every day a young man would leave his office building at lunch
      time and as he passed the pretzel stand he would leave her a
      quarter, but never take a pretzel.
      And this went on for more then 3 years. The two of them never
      spoke. One day as the young man passed the old lady's stand
      and left his quarter as usual, the pretzel lady spoke to him.
      Without blinking an eye she said:
      "They're 35 cents now."

      Sneak Peak from a book to be released Friday, December 17.
      December 9th
      Just look. See what is there within you; it is within us all.
      It is already right there, as plain as the nose on your face.
      December 10th
      If one is All One, there is only connection; not I am connected.
      December 11th
      Only here for an instant, fully expressing itself, and never to be seen again in the same way.
      December 12th
      There can only be what is, and nothing more.
      December 13th
      The only level is wherever you are.
      December 14th
      Where is the person doing all this moving and attaining all of this bliss?
      December 15th
      There is no motive or anything that might view the experience of pain as being important.

      December 16th
      When one is awake, when reality realizes itself, every action is taken without fragmentation.
      It is through that wholeness that compassion is expressed.
      December 17th
      The self might need to know or need to be, but it can never grasp compassion and own it like a possession.
      It is not something cultivated, and it cannot be held, stored away, and pulled out for later use.
      December 18th
      There are no degrees of compassion or love, as measurement occurs within memory and thought.
      December 19th
      There is no moment to be in. But what can you do?
      Wait for the next moment in order to find out? ;)
      December 20th
      Seeing what you are, how you truly behave…
      …and sitting with no condemnation, or no lust toward changing…
      …that alone may be enough to thrust you beyond the veil.
      December 21st
      The believer is full of conclusions, and empty of curiosity.
      December 22nd
      If one discounts their own answers, the gurus become meaningless.
      December 23rd
      The I is no different from what it wishes to be free from.
      December 24th
      All of the teaching you could ever hope for is there, hidden within your words.
      December 25th
      You’ll come to the end on your own soon enough.
      December 26th
      Can memory tell us anything about the present moment?
      Or can it only be held in front of reality as a filter?
      December 27th
      It is the greatest difficulty one might come up against…
      …how to see.
      December 28th
      The ego is built from what has come before.
      This is clear, and easy to see.
      December 29th
      See this for yourself, and do not take my word for it.
      Go there and find out, and you will never again ask how to live your life.
      December 30th
      We sit to see, not to change.
      December 31st
      How have you lived your life during the last 365 days?
      In the end, only you will know where you’ve been, what you’ve done, and what you’ve seen, but all of these things
      are insignificant when faced with the truth of what you are. I can say over and over “You are All One. You
      need nothing,” but it is your own energy that will discover if this is true or not.

      It is only for you to see. For you, and no one else…

      Science and Nonduality Conference
      San Rafael, October 2009
      An Introduction
      by Paul Marvelly
      Arriving at the Embassy Suites Hotel, San Rafael, California, I was worried. Very worried. My first sight of the people milling around the lobby was of those sporting dreadlocks, sandals, and orange T-shirts with the ubiquitous Om symbol emblazoned on the front.
      Yet another Mind Body Spirit Festival. My heart sank.
      Then my companion pointed out they were associated with the catering van outside the hotel. I was ushered to the registration desk where a very polite, well-dressed assistant asked me to collect my identity badge whilst handing me a batch of glossy fliers, conference particulars and an assortment of stationery. The fact that the bag containing such effects was orange and had Om emblazoned on it now didn’t seem to matter that much.
      Running concurrently with the Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy Conference, which is already in its tenth year, the Science and Nonduality Conference (SAND) is very different from what you would expect, given its brief. The worldwide phenomenon that is ‘nonduality’ has seen many disciplines hijack the concept for its own purposes thereby rendering any exact definition defunct.
      Nevertheless, conference organizer, Maurizio Benazzo of Neti Neti Media is undeterred. A willowy, self-effacing Italian, he outlines his vision on the SAND website: ‘So what is nonduality? We are well aware that in the exact moment in which we use words, our concept as an attempt to describe nonduality … automatically fall[s] into a world of dualisms ... no word will ever describe what is beyond time, beyond space, beyond a sense of I, beyond a sense of self.’
      He goes on: ‘... the scientific research of quantum physics, neuroscience, cosmology, biology and mathematics are giving us theories and results, which increasingly and curiously are comparable to the conclusions reached by the ancient spiritual masters.’ Thus Maurizio’s mission, as he sees it, is to reconnect these seemingly opposite worlds in a synergic event.
      Stephen Wolinsky
      With presentations from some of the world’s leading exponents in their fields – scientists, philosophers, psychologists, nondual teachers – the SAND conference offered a smorgasbord of ancient and contemporary thinking: the enigmatic Stephen Wolinsky and his workshop, ‘Experience the Teachings of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: The Primordial Advaita’; Greg Goode’s practical and humorous presentation, ‘Stumbling Block to Nondual Realisation’; and a lecture by the impressive Marilyn Schlitz, inspiration for one of Dan Brown’s protagonists in his latest novel, ‘Consciousness Matters: Mapping the Process of Transformation and Nondual Awareness’; not to mention screenings from the Cinéma Nondualité Film Series, an ‘Experiential Room’, and the obligatory ‘meet and greet’ parties to finish it all off.
      Indeed, the choice was almost overwhelming; the fact that so many of the events were run concurrently was, retrospectively, a blessing in disguise. By the end of the conference, I felt as if I couldn’t take anything more in. So what, then, is nonduality? After hearing so many viewpoints – some intellectually mind-blowing, others exquisitely simple – it feels even harder to offer a precise definition. But then, perhaps, that’s the point.
      To quote Maurizio again: ‘There are many shades of meaning to the word nonduality. As an introduction, we might say that nonduality is the philosophical, spiritual, and scientific understanding of non-separation and fundamental oneness. Our starting point is the statement “we are all one,” and this is meant not in some abstract sense but at the deepest level of existence. Duality, or separation between the observer and the observed, is an illusion that the Eastern mystics have long recognized and Western science has more recently come to understand through quantum mechanics.
      ‘Dualities are usually seen in terms of opposites: Mind/Matter, Self/Other, Conscious/Unconscious, Illusion/Reality, Quantum/Classical, Wave/Particle, Spiritual/Material, Beginning/End, Male/Female, Living/Dead and Good/Evil. Nonduality is the understanding that identification with common dualisms avoids recognition of a deeper reality.’