HIGHLIGHTS of Friday June 9, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2000
      >"He who knows others is clever;
      >he who knows himself is enlightened.
      >
      >-- Lao-Tzu --

      And I ask, who is that "he" who knows himself?
      -The jiva (the person, the body-mind)?
      Hardly. A non-entity can't possibly know itself.
      -Brahman (the Absolute, the Self)? Impossible.
      What is unknowable can't be known.
      So, who is the real subject of self-knowledge?

      Miguel-Angel
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      Without an object there is no subject,
      and so it goes.

      Michael
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The reason we have a lot of trouble
      is that we have selves.
      If we had no selves,
      what troubles would we have?"

      Lao-Tzu (via Andrew)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      The "he" is the jiva. He is a magical manifestation of Brahman and can
      do anything. He can know.

      Larry
      ----------------------------------

      wonderful friends,

      even though "i" am obliterated
      to know myself
      how fun it is to "come back" and
      radiate the joy of it!

      who is the real subject of self knowledge?
      mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      know that one!

      god, i love you
      cee

      MICHAEL JOHNSON

      Apperception

      Conscious perception with full awareness.

      The process of understanding by which newly observed qualities of an object are
      related to past experience.

      Conscious

      Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and
      thoughts. Mentally perceptive or alert; awake. Capable of thought, will, or
      perception. Intentionally conceived or done; deliberate. Inwardly attentive or
      sensible; mindful. Especially aware of or preoccupied with. In psychoanalysis, the
      component of waking awareness perceptible by a person at any given instant;
      consciousness.

      On TIME

      > > The fertile eyes.
      > > The river under the tongue.
      > > In the dream, dreaming dreams
      > > that I sleep,
      > > that I dream.
      > > I see the enormous sky
      > > for a moment, eternity.
      > >
      > > andrew
      > >
      > > Taking a picture of the night sky with a flash on the camera,
      > > the film being developped on paper
      > > wonders
      > > why the sky did not turn out white instead of black.
      > >
      > > For the butterfly flying around
      > > The night was full of colors.
      > >
      > > Antoine
      >
      > If superstring theorists are right,
      > The expansion of space will mean
      > (in some untold billion years)
      > That the night sky will shine with the milky way,
      > But that everywhere else will be dark.
      >
      > My butterfly fears have me looking up
      > To see this moment.
      > The stars are busy winking.
      >
      > love, mark

      The night-flying butterfly always approaches but can never reach the moon in time, is
      never separate from the moon in eternity.

      andrew

      ANTHONY posts:

      What does it mean to learn the knowledge of God's
      Unity?
      To consume yourself in the presence of the One.
      If you wish to shine like day,
      burn up the night of self-existence.
      Dissolve in the Being who is everything.
      you grabbed hold of "I" and "we,"
      and this dualism is your ruin.

      Rumi, Mathnawi I:3009-3012, tr. Helminski

      Hi Mark,
      Great. Sounds like you had a good trip. You're the second person to mention the
      Arthur Ganson machines, I will definitely go see them next time. Hope to meet you and
      Mary in person at the gathering in Rhode Island next month. By the way, anyone
      planning to go should get in touch with Gloria, she needs to know.

      love, andrew
      ~~~~~~

      Yeah. Come on down. Or up. Hitch if you have to. Pour in from all ends of the
      continent. I see people in Oregon climbing into trucks. 'Where you heading?' 'The
      HS/NDS thing in Rhode Island, man, you goin'?' 'Well, yeah, I can take an extra day
      or two.' And so on.

      J.
      ~~~~~~
      YES!! All of you highlighters are invited, and the time to decide is now. Harsha,
      Jerry, Andrew, and Greg are just a few of the dozen people already going. It's
      weekend of July 14, 15, 16 at the Providence Zen Center in Rhode Island. Contact me
      for details. glee@...

      Gloria