#3726 - Thursday, November 26, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2009

      #3726 - Thursday, November 26, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart

      Happy Thanks Giving wishes to all. Jerry and Mark were so kind to take on all the days for a month. Thanks, guys.

      This world of ours,
      To what shall I compare it?
      To the white wake of a boat
      That rows away in the early dawn.

      SHAMI MANSEI

      more photos byAlan Larus (and poems)

      A Shade of Darkness

      There is a shade of darkness just beyond
      the lip of gladness.
      It is waiting like a faithful dog expecting
      quite a bone.
      Greet it, pet it and you will know that
      nothing is as bad as it seems to be
      right before you welcome it wholeheartedly.

      I once entertained a clown with
      sorrow in all his pockets.
      He turned them inside out
      and stars fell inside my head
      and I swept them up and
      sat down tidily by my bed.

      He came again when I least expected
      to see what he had brought for me this time.
      When the pockets were emptied, I reached
      for his hand and knew the secret behind
      my life.

      Vicki Woodyard

      Apparent Person

      Ronna: You say "That is, for Consciousness there is no purpose or plan. For
      the apparent person there is a purpose or a plan. In fact the apparent
      person doesn't have a plan; it IS a plan. The apparent person IS the search
      for happiness. Presence is the happiness it is searching for."

      What do you suggest would help the back and forth sense of reality and
      imagination? I seem to understand and there is peace etc. then it somehow
      slips away and I am again wondering?

      I suppose I am asking is there anything I can do that would actually stop
      this apparent self from arising or be aware of it more, see it for what it
      is while it is occurring and not be swept along with it?

      Rupert: The one that wants the apparent self to stop arising is the apparent
      self itself. In other words, the desire to get rid of the apparent self
      perpetuates the apparent self.

      The apparent self could be described as 'the resistance to what is.' This
      resistance takes two forms: 1) I want or need such and such to take place in
      order to be happy or 2) I don't want what is present and need it to
      disappear in order to be happy. These two, desire and fear, are in fact two
      sides of the same coin. The coin is the apparent self.

      See clearly that in order to resist what is, there has to be a stance, a
      point of view, a located entity, an apparent self. This resistance depends
      upon the apparent self. If we then resist the apparent self and try to get
      rid of it, we are resisting our resistance. We fear our fear. We simply
      compound the problem.

      So, first of all see that we have an agenda with the apparent self and as
      long as this agenda is present it is more of the same. Just look clearly
      until your looking naturally becomes disinterested, just as you would look
      at a passing car....no agenda for or against.

      See clearly that the apparent self, which is simply a current thought and
      feeling, arises effortlessly within us but does not in any way touch, harm,
      move, change or implicate us, Consciousness, in any way. We do not need to
      make this the case. It is already the case.

      It is from this position or rather from this open, welcoming, allowing space
      that we are able to contemplate the apparent self.

      This apparent self has two main residences, one in the mind as a belief and
      one in the body as a feeling. Once the belief in separation has been
      investigated and we have come to the understanding that there is no evidence
      that whatever we are, that is, whatever it is that is seeing these words, is
      limited or located for instance, behind the eyes, we are open to the much
      deeper exploration of the sense of separation at the level of the body.

      At the level of the mind we may, as you say, come again and again to the
      understanding that what we are is not limited and located only to lose this
      understanding again. The mind arises again with an objection and this
      objection seems to invalidate our previous understanding and, as a result,
      peace is lost.

      For instance the mind may say (and often does!) 'Well, if Consciousness is
      unlocated how come I cannot see what you are seeing?' In this and numerous
      other ways the mind will present apparently valid reasons for the belief
      that Consciousness is limited.

      For those of us with enquiring and tenacious minds each of these objections
      has to be fully explored until we come, from our own experience, to see that
      all our beliefs about Consciousness are invalid.

      It is, in many cases, the depth of this understanding at an intellectual
      level that precipitates the deeper enquiry at the level of feelings. I say
      'in most cases' because some people are very open to the exploration at the
      level of the body without coming to this intellectual clarity and that is
      just as legitimate. In this case, it just means that their minds do not
      present the same obstacles as those of us who are more sceptical!

      Sooner or later, for many of us, the intellectual understanding is seen to
      be insufficient and the willingness and openness to explore our experience
      at the deeper level of feelings arises. In this case we just follow our love
      and interest and start to explore the sense of 'me-ness' in the body and its
      corollary, the sense of 'not me-ness' in the world.

      I have written about this already in detail on this forum so won't elaborate
      here. Suffice to say that for many, the stabilisation in peace that you
      refer to is a natural, effortless and spontaneous outcome of this
      exploration, just as this exploration itself is a natural, effortless and
      spontaneous  and enjoyable outcome of our love of and interest in the nature
      of experience.

      With love,

      Rupert

      from
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OAStudyGroup/

      Rupert Spira will end this month and Greg Goode will lead in December.