#3722 - Sunday, November 22, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3722, Sunday, November 22, 2009

      Questioner: Yours is altogether a subjective view, while science tries to describe everything in objective terms. Is this contradiction inevitable?

      Nisargadatta: The confusion is apparent and purely verbal. What is, is. It is neither subjective nor objective. Matter and mind are not separate, they are aspects of one energy. Look at the mind as a function of matter and you have science; look at matter as the product of the mind and you have religion.

      Questioner: But what is true? What comes first, mind or matter?

      Nisargadatta: Neither comes first. for neither appears alone.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That, posted to NondualitySalon

      What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.

      - Werner Heisenberg

      The fact that man produces a concept "I" besides the totality of his mental and emotional experiences or perceptions does not prove that there must be any specific existence behind such a concept. We are succumbing to illusions produced by our self-created language, without reaching a better understanding of anything. Most of so-called philosophy is due to this kind of fallacy.

      - Albert Einstein

      Each of us can manifest the properties of a field of consciousness that transcends space, time, and linear causality.

      - Stanislav Grof

      Cosmic Consciousness is impossible to describe, partly because describing involves words and the state is one in which there were no words. My attempts at description here originated from reflecting on Cosmic Consciousness soon after it had passed and while there was still some `taste' of the event remaining.

      Perhaps the most significant element of Cosmic Consciousness was the absolute knowingness that it involves. This knowingness is a deep understanding that occurs without words. I was certain that the universe was one whole and that it was benign and loving at its ground.

      - Allan Smith, M.D. (research scientist)

      npr: Is This Your Brain on God?

      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=110997741