Wed./June 7

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2000
      Michael Johnson

      Pantomime: The telling of a story without words, by means of
      movements, gestures, and facial expressions.

      Sounds nondual to me.

      David Pawlak

      Funny how I was just thinking today, what would a nondual
      "society" be like, no working to make money, no
      repsonsibilities because somebody says so, all contributing
      for the common good.... one of the first words that came up
      was "communist", but then I thought of Star Trek !!?? they
      are all equal, and serve for the common good.

      Well, I'd bet a future society will become more
      "nondualist" will work more towards the common "good".

      May all be happy. - What is happiness? May all be without
      disease. - What is disease? May all share in well-being.
      What is well-being? What is misery? Peace is working
      towards understanding that these things are what we make

      I have misery at work, because I just can't let go of the
      happiness that my TV gives me?

      I have misery because I might have hunger if I leave the
      misery of my work.

      I have disease because I have misery.

      What do I have if I have nothing? It just seems that things
      work out. When you have life you have everything that IS.

      When life goes... it's only a matter of time.

      Don't sweat the small stuff!

      Sometimes, going beyond the veil, getting to reality
      requires first seeing deep and varied perpectives. The
      "constance of reality" seems to glare out more strongly
      through marked variation in perspective and heavy activity.
      I don't mean like heavy physical activity, but more like
      heavy emotional / concptual activity.

      The "constance of reality" is such a solid grounding point,
      even when pain really hurts when things are just going too
      well. It's like it helps one to know what's "really going

      On another list, they are answering the question: "Is life
      a dream?"

      This was one of the answers:

      I don't believe there are any types of dreams in our life
      awake. To me, dreams are just those things that we think
      are happening, but are not really happening, while we

      Paraphrasing Helen Keller:

      "How is it possible, one should ask, to walk around "in
      life" and not see that "I" cannot be?"

      Mark Otter

      You have misery because you don't know that you are not
      hungry now. (or that you are, but lunch is in a few
      minutes, or that you are but you feel afraid to ask for
      lunch, or because you are full, but won't feed your
      neighbor, or....) Ram Dass asked (repeatedly) his guru how
      to become enlightened, and Nareem (sweet Nareem) replied
      "feed people." It's not that complex. If people starve, it
      is because other people failed to find enlightenment and
      act. (no play, just "Act I On" or "I act on" for those who
      use modern syntax...)

      You have misery because you took your eye off the ease, and
      thought you might have misplaced it. Close your eyes and
      remember it, and the severed ease will join up again, and
      if your body dies during this process, laugh and laugh and
      laugh, from your deep and eternal knowing that you cannot
      be severed, you cannot be in disease, you cannot be
      anything but what you are, which is here. (now). Shit,
      people, this is NOT SO HARD. It is fine as it is, and you
      are IT. I know nothing you don't know, so quit this
      bullshit and BE. These word are thoughts, but they point to
      you, so be you, and don't worry about thinking any more. It
      doesn't end, it just starts making sense...

      Greg:If you can, choose an unbroken stream of only the
      happiest, most blissful, most liberating thoughts and
      beliefs every time. Be happy always! Try it!!

      Gloria: Yes, now we are getting somewhere! It isn't so much
      *what* your beliefs are, as a matter of *what* you do with
      them. I can use a belief in karma and determinism to become
      peaceful and happy or to justify my passivity and never
      helping anyone.

      Harsha contributes:

      The author of this article, Sri C. R. Rajamani, presented
      the following talk at the April 25th Aradhana program at
      Arunachla Ashrama in New York City. He and his wife are
      visiting their son, Dr. C. R. Ramakrishna, of Stony Brook,

      I HAVE been a devotee of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi for
      over 55 years. I was in my early twenties when I first had
      His darshan. The event is still fresh in my memory not
      because I was at that age so mature, which I was not, but
      because of a very remarkable incident I saw on that

      I went to the Ashrama in the early forties when the Second
      World War was at its peak and our own independence movement
      was also at its maximum intensity. I am not certain about
      the date or the month of my visit; it may have been
      December or January. I remember the season was quite cool.
      The summit of the Holy Arunachala was shrouded in dense
      mist and clouds. The morning air was crisp and pleasant.

      It was in the original small hall, that is remembered by
      the early devotees with justifiable fondness, that I first
      saw Sri Bhagavan seated on a raised platform. A cast-iron
      charcoal brazier was radiating a comfortable warmth, and a
      pleasing aroma of the incense thrown into it at regular
      intervals was pervading the entire hall. About thirty
      people, comprised of men, women and a few young boys were
      seated on the floor facing Sri Bhagavan. None spoke or even
      whispered between themselves. What struck me was, no one
      showed even an inclination to talk. Some were meditating
      with closed eyes. The silence was definitely not an imposed

      Sri Bhagavan, his body luminous like burnished gold, was
      sparsely clad in his usual kaupinam and a small towel
      across his chest. He appeared to be occasionally dozing off
      and had to steady his head often. He frequently stretched
      his palms over the fire and massaged his long fingers. In
      spite of his apparent dozing, his eyes did not look drowsy.
      On the contrary, they were extraordinarily bright and
      alert. He was not looking at anybody in particular, nor
      were his eyes roaming about the hall in idle curiosity.
      Although my first impression was not a very uplifting one,
      I felt I was in the presence of an extremely affable person
      with a lot of natural grace, at perfect ease and without
      any pretension whatsoever. I was, however, aware of an
      effortless peace in the hall.

      I saw a white-skinned boy, a foreigner, of about ten years
      sitting a couple of feet to my left. Next to him was a
      white man, presumably his father. Further to my left,
      beyond the central aisle, was a white woman, whom I thought
      was the boy's mother. I then saw Sri Bhagavan's eyes alight
      on the boy for a brief minute. I thought it was just a
      casual look. The boy was all the time looking at Sri
      Bhagavan with a sort of fixation, as if on the verge of
      asking a question. But, no! He broke into tears. A cascade
      of tears came gushing out of his eyes. They were not tears
      of pain, for his face was radiant with joy. In temples, I
      have seen adults shedding tears in ecstasy, and had myself
      experienced that type of joyous outpouring on hearing a
      beautiful hymn or a moving melody, but I had never seen a
      ten-year-old boy from a far-off land exhibiting this type
      of beautiful expression in an extremely quiet and serene
      atmosphere. I could see that Sri Bhagavan's glance, though
      only resting on him for a brief moment, had opened in the
      boy's heart a veritable reservoir of pure joy.

      I did not feel a remorse for my lack of receptivity that I
      ought to have felt. But I felt most fortunate to see a boy
      not even half my age showing such an alert sensitivity. The
      flat feeling I had experienced earlier was washed away by
      the joyous tears of another; I really felt blessed in an
      indirect way. Direct or indirect, blessing is blessing.
      Whenever I recall this incident, it creates a feeling of
      being very near to something truly Divine. Of course, I
      have had my own share of Sri Bhagavan's grace in my later
      years. I have also had some ever-fresh visions which I dare
      not devalue as creations of a fevered imagination for they
      have strengthened my faith in Sri Bhagavan. Some of them
      occurred decades after Sri Bhagavan's Mahanirvana. They
      have been firm confirmations of his continued Presence and
      reassurances of his immortal words, "They say I am going!
      Where can I go? I am always here!"

      Now, returning to that first day at the Ashrama, I learned
      that the boy had come along with his parents, both of them
      Theosophists. The Theosophical Society's world convention
      is usually held at their international headquarters at
      Adyar, Madras in December-January. Some of the people from
      foreign countries choose to visit Sri Ramanasramam at that
      time. The boy's parents arranged a trip to Tiruvannamalai,
      but he stoutly refused to go with them, as he was not in
      tune with conditions in India which can never be adequate
      when compared with the posh amenities of his native
      Australia. However, he changed his mind at the last moment
      and did make the trip. Within an hour of his face-to-face
      meeting with Sri Bhagavan, his mental barriers were reduced
      to nothingness. He shed tears for quite some time and later
      said to his mother, "I am so happy. I don't want to leave
      his presence. I want to be always with him!" His mother was
      most upset. She pleaded with Sri Bhagavan, "Swami, please
      release my son! He is our only child. We will be miserable
      without him." Sri Bhagavan smiled at her and said, "Release
      him? I am not keeping him tied up. He is a mature soul. A
      mere spark has ignited his spiritual fire." So, that casual
      look was a spark of tremendous power. Turning to the boy,
      He said, "Go with your parents. I will always be with you."
      He spoke in Tamil throughout, but the boy understood him
      fully. He bowed to Sri Bhagavan and reluctantly left with
      his parents, immensely rich with the newly-found spiritual

      Melody Anderson

      I came upon this website unintentionally.

      Besides the artwork for the book cover...which is
      beautiful....I celebrate this book's offering a subtle and
      alluring introduction to nonduality.

      I liked this in particular:

      "Prayer is a state in which we are receptive to Truth
      without conscious thought."

      Andrew Macnab contributes:

      This is an excerpt from the speech Freeman Dyson made
      accepting the Templeton prize for progress in religion
      earlier this year, it fits in with recent discussions;

      "The universe shows evidence of the operations of mind on
      three levels. The first level is elementary physical
      processes, as we see them when we study atoms in the
      laboratory. The second level is our direct human experience
      of our own consciousness. The third level is the universe
      as a whole. Atoms in the laboratory are weird stuff,
      behaving like active agents rather than inert substances.
      They make unpredictable choices between alternative
      possibilities according to laws of quantum mechanics. It
      appears that mind, as manifested by the capacity to make
      choices, is to some extent inherent in every atom. The
      universe as a whole is also weird, with laws of nature that
      make it hospitable to the growth of mind. I do not make any
      clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind
      becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our
      comprehension. God may be either a world-soul or a
      collection of world-souls. So I am thinking that atoms and
      humans and God may have minds that differ in degree but not
      in kind. We stand, in a manner of speaking, midway between
      the unpredictability of atoms and the unpredictability of
      God. Atoms are small pieces of our mental apparatus, and we
      are small pieces of God's mental apparatus. Our minds may
      receive inputs equally from atoms and from God. This view
      of our place in the cosmos may not be true, but it is
      compatible with the active nature of atoms as revealed in
      the experiments of modern physics. I don't say that this
      personal theology is supported or proved by scientific
      evidence. I only say that it is consistent with scientific

      The whole speech is here-

      Macrocosm and microcosm, within and without, all the same.

      Greg: The spontaneity is the causeless arising of
      appearances from silence. Free will, like you say, carries
      the notion of causality, like "I caused this." It's related
      to the desire to control things for one's self and in the
      world. The person wants to be the cause. But this is never
      so. If we had to describe these things in the language of
      cause and effect, the person is never the cause, but always
      the effect!

      Xan contributes: "If anything other than God appears to
      you, it's the effect of His illusion; and if all other than
      God vanished from sight, it's the effect of His awakening
      you to what is real."

      - Rumi

      We are the Nonduality Generation.