#3705 - Thursday, November 5, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2009
      #3705 - Thursday, November 5, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights
      - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights

      Standing As Awareness: The Direct Path

      by Greg Goode

      Review by Jerry Katz

      Greg Goode is like a pianist playing a complex composition with a light touch. I've read this book about four times and each time new seeings emerge.

      This book creeps up on you. Although I wrote a friendly Foreword, and Greg Goode comes across as kindly, with a clean cut ego, this book takes you to where there is no person. It's good that this book creeps up and doesn't hit you all at once.

      You've heard over and over again that "there's only awareness." Standing As Awareness delivers that knowing.

      This book is about self-inquiry, using methods you have probably never seen. It also comes with this notice:

      "Don't stop if it gets rough. The search is sweet, but it is not always comfortable or reassuring to the assembly labeled as the person. Be unafraid of what might come up." ... "Comfort is not the criterion of being in touch with awareness, and discomfort is not the criterion of being out of touch with awareness."

      There are many other exquisite nuggets of revelation. This is a rarely heard statement:

      "One can wait until the dissolution (of the witness) happens. There is no reason to hurry, because there is no suffering, and the witness is sweetness itself. ... One may wait for the dissolution to happen, or one may feel called by higher reason to investigate the dualities. Either way is fine."

      Greg shows you how to bring about that dissolution of the witness or the I Am, whatever you want to call it. That you can dissolve the witness without waiting, is an amazing teaching, and delivered so effortlessly. That effortlessness in presenting rare teachings is what makes the book creep up on you: you may not see what he's saying at first or second reading.

      I recommend Standing As Awareness even if you are already familiar with nondual teachings and books. If you are first exploring the teaching of nonduality, this book may be challenging but it will smarten you up quickly about the game of enlightenment, satsang, and nonduality itself.