#3695 - Saturday, October 24, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3695, Saturday, October 24, 2009

      The truth shall upset you free.

      - Swami Beyondananda, posted to The_Now2

      Contentment can only dwell in the heart of one who is happy with whatever befalls him in life.

      If you really want to see what the Buddha was talking about, you don't need to bother with books. Watch your own mind. Examine to see how thoughts come and go. Don't be attached to anything, just be mindful of whatever there is to see. This is the way to the truths of the Buddha.

      - Achaan Chah, from A Still Forest Pool

      Actually, in truth, there isn't anything to human beings. Whatever we may be, it's only in the realm of appearances. However, if we go beyond appearances and see the truth, we will see that there isn't anything there but the universal characteristics - birth in the beginning, change in the middle, and cessation in the end. This is all there is. If we see that all things are like this, then no problems arise. If we understand this, we will have contentment and peace.

      - Achaan Chah, from No Ajahn Chah: Reflections

      9. As the sun absorbs all waters, and the fire consumes all things (remaining unaffected by them), even so, the pure Yogin enjoys all objects, unstained by virtues or sins.

      10. As the ocean into which all waters flow maintains its own nature despite the water pouring in (from all sides), so, he alone attains peace into whom all desires flow in like manner; not he who seeks the objects of pleasure.

      - excerpt from the Avadhuta Upanishad, translated by Prof. A. A. Ramanathan