#3647 - Sunday, September 6, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6 9:59 PM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3647, Sunday, September 6, 2009

      There is no evil like hatred,
      And no fortitude like patience.
      Thus I should strive in various ways
      To meditate on patience.

      My mind will not experience peace
      If it fosters painful thoughts of hatred.
      I shall find no joy or happiness;
      Unable to sleep, I shall feel unsettled.

      A master who has hatred
      Is in danger of being killed
      Even by those who for their wealth and happiness
      Depend upon his kindness.

      By it, friends and relatives are disheartened;
      Though drawn by my generosity they will not trust me;
      In brief there is nobody
      Who lives happily with anger.

      Hence the enemy, anger,
      Creates sufferings such as these,
      But whoever assiduously overcomes it
      Finds happiness now and hereafter.

      Therefore I should totally eradicate
      The fuel of this enemy;
      For this enemy has no other function
      Than that of causing me harm.

      Whatever befalls me I shall be patient,
      I shall not disturb my mental joy;
      For having been made unhappy, I shall not
      accomplish what I wish
      And my virtues will decline.

      - Shantideva, from A Guide To The Bodhisattva's Way Of Life, posted to DailyDharma

      The only way that worry will stop is through the proper understanding that change is the very basis of life, that we cannot continuously have something we like. We've got to be prepared to accept things in life which may not be acceptable.

      A post to The_Now2 by Benjamin Schiltz and a reply by Bill Rishel:

      Good day and love to all

      Adyashanti explained of an experience he has had I think on a school playground but I forget where he had this experience, but when he had it was as a child. I also cant remember how many times he experienced this in his youth.

      I can relate to it because I have had this experience three times in my childhood. I would like to hear if any of you have had this experience one or more times in your lives. Thanks

      The experience (Ed. note - I believe Benjamin is quoting a conversation between Adyashanti and a friend...):

      One most notable time; I was sitting my livingroom with my friend standing in front of me. I spontaniously awoke as if I was living a dream before. I knew of who he is but I didnt know his given name. I knew him and of my surroundings. But all knowledge of who I was was gone. I could sense that I was someone else who now goes by the name Benjamin but he wasnt truth or real. So I sat there as my friend looked at me in wonder and eyeballing me with an odd look and eyebrows slanted as if he was saying, "your acting odd". But all I could is just look around and wonder what happened to Benjamin. Everything was gone. I was free. But I of course didnt just let it be and I placed too much attention back onto Benjamin, and then I came to wondering what just happened. Whew, thank god I am back. LOL.. well that was my thought being thankful I had gotten my mind back.

      You have said it perfectly. And it is interesting to note that the 'I' in "I am back" is just the mind.

      Now looking back upon it, I wished that I had just staying in that moment of nothingness. Because I was aware of everything and knew my friend but I also knew the true being that he is.

      No point in regretting. That such moments of pure innocence are initially episodic is completely natural.

      You may think that in this state that you will feel a Bliss, but you dont even feel that. You dont feel anything. Or you dont place attention on it because I believe it is because we are it. If this makes any sense.

      I'm glad to see you speak to this, as I never seem to find the words. "Beyond bliss" seems not to convey. When you say, "...you don't place attention on it...because we are it," an astute comment! I've never considered it that way, but yes... it does make perfect sense.

      We don't place attention on "it" because "it" is a quality of "non-focus;" a freedom from focus, a complete allowing.

      (and now back to Benjamin):

      Please I would love to hear from you, if you have had this experience spontaniously. If you meditated and induced this awareness then by all means please join and in this topic.

      Namaste
      Love
      Benjamin

      Neither meditation nor anything else can "induce" the state you speak of, IMO. That is because it is not a state, per se. It is the background of every state. What you experienced was not the "entering into" a particular state, but the temporary suspension of your ordinary mental processing. Notice that you returned to "Benjamin" by a "placing of your attention on" "Benjamin". It was that directing of attention that "brought you back".

      The present lacks the qualities of "certainty" that the mind has come to expect. I expect it was discomfort with the uncertainty that led to the effort to "return to Benjamin".

      Our practice of being simply present entails learning to be OK with uncertainty, to accept whatever is as is.

      All that really matters, after all, is being simply present. There is nothing especially important about the experience you recount here. Being simply present, accepting of whatever is, is the "highest". Special states of consciousness come and go. Acceptance means to just let them come, and let them go.

      Bill

      Every sin, every disease, and every lack that have ever touched our lives have been a necessary part of our entire experience without which we would not have been made ready or prepared to receive the unfoldment of a truly spiritual message. Whatever... depths you and I have known, that was the experience necessary for us to reach the heights.

      - Joel Goldsmith

      Now is the Time

      Now is the time to know
      That all that you do is sacred.

      Now, why not consider
      A lasting truce with yourself and God.

      Now is the time to understand
      That all your ideas of right and wrong
      Were just a child's training wheels
      To be laid aside
      When you finally live
      With veracity
      And love.

      Hafiz is a divine envoy
      Whom the Beloved
      Has written a holy message upon.

      My dear, please tell me,
      Why do you still
      Throw sticks at your heart
      And God?

      What is it in that sweet voice inside
      That incites you to fear?

      Now is the time for the world to know
      That every thought and action is sacred.

      This is the time for you to compute the impossibility
      That there is anything
      But Grace.

      Now is the season to know
      That everything you do
      Is sacred.

      - Hafiz, from The Gift - Poems by Hafiz the Great Sufi Master, Translations by Daniel Ladinsky