#3639 - Saturday, August 29. 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30 7:33 PM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3639, Saturday, August 29, 2009

      Lost in the forest, I broke off a dark twig
      and lifted its whisper to my thirsty lips:
      maybe it was the voice of the rain crying,
      a cracked bell, or a torn heart.

      Something from far off it seemed
      deep and secret to me, hidden by the earth,
      a shout muffled by huge autumns,
      by the moist half-open darkness of the leaves.

      Wakening from the dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig
      sang under my tongue, its drifting fragrance
      climbed up through my conscious mind

      as if suddenly the roots I had left behind
      cried out to me, the land I had lost with my childhood -
      and I stopped, wounded by the wandering scent.

      - Pablo Neruda

      Again and again, however we know the landscape of love
      and the little churchyard there, with its sorrowing names,
      and the frighteningly silent abyss into which the others
      fall: again and again the two of us walk out together
      under the ancient trees, lie down again and again
      among the flowers, face to face with the sky.

      - Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Stephen Mitchell

      Day after day, O lord of my life,
      shall I stand before thee face to face.
      With folded hands, O lord of all worlds,
      shall I stand before thee face to face.

      Under thy great sky in solitude and silence,
      with humble heart shall I stand before thee face to face.

      In this laborious world of thine, tumultuous with toil
      and with struggle, among hurrying crowds
      shall I stand before thee face to face.

      And when my work shall be done in this world,
      O King of kings, alone and speechless
      shall I stand before thee face to face.

      - Rabindranath Tagore

      Late have I loved You
      O beauty every ancient, ever new!
      Late have I loved You
      And behold,
      You were within; and I without,
      and without I sought You.
      And deformed I ran after these forms
      of beauty You have made.

      You were with me
      And I was not with You.
      Those things held me back from You,
      things whose only being
      was to be in You.

      You called; You cried;
      and You broke through my deafness.
      You flashed; You shone;
      and you chased away my blindness.
      You became fragrant;
      and I inhaled and sighed for You.

      I tasted
      and now hunger and thirst
      for You.

      You touched me;
      and I burned for Your embrace.

      - Saint Augustine

      Wonder...People travel to wonder at the height of mountains,
      at the huge waves of the sea,
      at the long courses of rivers,
      at the vast compass of the ocean,
      at the circular motion of the stars;
      And they pass by themselves without wondering.

      - Saint Augustine