#3633 - Sunday, August 23, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3633, Sunday, August 23 2009

      The only way out is to simply observe. This allows us to take note of our physical reactions, or mental attitudes and patterns in her motivations at the exact moment they appear on it involves no evaluation, no analysis which is based on memory.

      - Jean Klein, from I Am

      I have fallen in love with truth...

      I have fallen in love with truth
      I only want to be with her
      I can not stand to be apart
      I would gladly go to the ends of the earth
      or I would never again move from this spot
      just to be sure to inhale her fragrant perfume
      with my dying breath

      I have fallen in love with truth
      her every wish my command
      I simply must obey
      for she has captured my soul
      and taken complete contro
      l of even my innermost thoughts
      freeing me to find repose
      in her unadorned splendor

      I have fallen in love with truth
      with exquisite tenderness she shows me
      the perfection in my every flaw
      no need for pretense
      for she knows everything about me
      and yet takes me in her arms
      with complete abandon
      until only she remains

      - Nirmala

      speaking of love...

      Once
      I started
      To speak
      About love
      Drawing out words
      And images
      Which, slow at first
      Kept welling up
      Flowing faster
      Then I could draw...

      And then they burst out
      Gushing
      Like a fountain.

      So
      I fell silent
      Just watching
      This endless spring
      Unconcerned.

      When thirsty,
      I drink.
      Tired, I doze off.
      All is
      As it should
      Be.

      - Yosy Flug

      The Buddhist term bodhicitta means completely open heart and mind. "Citta" is translated as heart or mind; "bodhi" means awake.

      The cultivation of the noble heart and mind of bodhicitta is a personal journey. The very life we have is our working basis; the very life we have is our journey to enlightenment. Enlightenment is not something we're going to achieve after we follow the instructions, and then get it right. In fact when it comes to awakening the heart and mind, you can't "get it right."

      On this journey we're moving toward that which is not so certain, that which cannot be tied down, that which is not habitual and fixed. We're moving toward a whole new way of thinking and feeling, a flexible and open way of perceiving reality that is not based on certainty and security. This new way of perceiving is based on connecting with the living energetic quality of ourselves and everything else. Bodhicitta is our means of tapping into this awakened energy and we can start by tapping into our emotions. We can start by connecting very directly with what we already have.

      Bodhicitta is particularly available to us when we feel good heart; when we feel gratitude, appreciation or love in any form whatsoever. In any moment of tenderness or happiness, bodhicitta is always here. If we begin to acknowledge these moments and cherish them, if we begin to realize how precious they are, then no matter how fleeting and tiny this good heart may seem, it will gradually, at its own speed, expand. Our capacity to love is an unstoppable essence that when nurtured can expand without limit.

      Bodhicitta is also available in other emotions - even the hardest of feelings like rage, jealousy, envy and deep-rooted resentment. In even the most painful and crippling feelings, bodhicitta is available to us when we acknowledge them with an open mind and heart and realize how they are shared by all of us - when we acknowledge that we are all in the same boat feeling the same pain. In the midst of the most profound misery, we can think of others just like ourselves and wish that we could all be free of suffering and the root of suffering. When we tune into any of our feelings, become aware any of our feelings, they have the capacity to soften us and to dissolve the barriers we put up between ourselves and others.

      - Pema Chodron

      If thou wilt be observant and vigilant, thou wilt see at every moment the response to thy action. Be observant if thou wouldst have a pure heart, for something is born to thee in consequence of every action.

      - Rumi