Sunday/May 28

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2000
      ED ARRONS

      The desire to be without ego is ego caught in illusion.
      Only the sick ego desires extinction. The healthy ego
      (really the soul) is free of illusion.

      Let he who be without truth cast the first ego. :-)

      QUOTING OSHO

      All meditations are subtle ways to make you drunk -- to
      make you drunkards of the divine.

      The first thing to be done is laughter, because that sets
      the trend for the whole day. If you wake up laughing, you
      will soon begin to feel how absurd life is. Nothing is
      serious: even your disappointments are laughable, even you<
      are laughable.

      Every morning upon waking, before opening your eyes,
      stretch like a cat. Stretch every fibre of your body. After
      three or four minutes, with eyes still closed, begin to
      laugh. For five minutes just laugh. At first you will be
      doing it, but soon the sound of your attempt will cause
      genuine laughter. Lose yourself in laughter. It may take
      several days before it really happens, for we are so
      unaccustomed to the phenomenon. But before long it will be
      spontaneous and will change the whole nature of your day.

      OSHO'S MYSTIC ROSE MEDITATION: SARLO AND MELODY

      MELODY: I'm wanting to do Osho's Mystic Rose Meditation and
      I'd like to first talk to someone who has done this.....or
      something similar....

      SARLO: The basic format of Mystic Rose is laughter for
      seven days, three hours a day, followed by crying for seven
      days, three hours a day, followed by silent witnessing for
      seven days three hours a day. This is the full process.
      There are many ways to do abbreviated versions, for
      instance a one-hour total with 20 minutes of each stage,
      but the full deal obviously goes the deepest.

      I have done the full process twice. It is pretty amazing,
      very transforming. Because it only takes three hours a day
      it can be fitted into one's ordinary life. You might have
      to give up a little of your TV but you can still go to work
      if you plan it properly.

      MELODY: What I'm wondering is....should this be done three
      hours contininuously.....or could it be done in 3 one hour
      sessions?

      SARLO: As it is practised in Pune and in places around the
      world, it is three hours continuously. This is not to say
      it could not be broken up, but again you lose the full
      impact. You will still get something out of it, but less. I
      enjoy the one-hour version of three segments and feel very
      refreshed but the full 21x3 is so much more.

      MELODY: I'm trying to imagine laughing OR crying for 3
      hours solid....and wondering if one might need a
      facilitator to keep someone 'moving' and to deepen focus?

      SARLO: A very good question. My answer is yes. In fact
      "facilitator" is a very good word for this. The whole thing
      is best done with a group of people, as the energy for
      sustaining laughing and crying for three hours is not easy
      to manifest alone. In the laughing stage, even if you are
      laughing by yourself without overtly interacting, the group
      energy makes it much easier. Silly for those of us who have
      realized, but there you go. And the interacting can also be
      very useful. For this stage a facilitator is virtually not
      needed, except to bang the gong at the end.

      Laughter, although almost universally endorsed as a
      "positive" thing, is nonetheless subtly repressed in most
      societies. Still, it feels good, and it's "good *for* you,"
      so most people can get into it quite easily, even if it
      feels a bit mad to be laughing at nothing at all. Good in
      itself, it also has a secondary purpose in the context of
      Mystic Rose. It gets your own energy flowing to make way
      for the second part.

      Crying, especially for no reason at all, is usually more
      difficult. And to sustain it for three hours -- well,
      everyone will have long slack periods, but here's where the
      facilitator can really help. There's very little
      interacting in this stage, except with a facilitator as
      needed, particularly since a tendency to comfort can be
      counterproductive to the goal of experiencing and moving
      through your pain, but the group dynamic can still work.

      Music is very big in this stage. No marching bands, no
      tacky schlocky country music, no rock or jazz or pop,
      mostly slow-moving minor-key music, with or without words,
      often in foreign languages. One of the tools of the
      facilitator is a big collection of music selected for its
      tear-jerking qualities, without being maudlin. Obviously
      not everyone will respond the same way to any particular
      piece of music but the facilitators -- they will have all
      taken a training in Pune -- will have developed a feel for
      the way things move and how different people respond, etc.

      The third stage is not three hours of straight sitting,
      ususally 45 minutes of sitting followed by 15 minutes of
      soft dancing, with pee break if needed, 45 and 15 etc.
      Again facilitators are not needed much here except as
      timekeepers.

      And from a subsequent post:

      MELODY: Mystic Rose Meditation seems tailor made for me
      .....the trick seems to be, now that I am considering it so
      closely, is to find a group of people to do it with me. It
      seems that 'group energy' would be quite conducive for this
      sort of thing.

      SARLO: It is almost unbelievable but this is "tailor-made"
      for almost everybody. Osho has said that he would like all
      of his people to do it at least once. It is simply amazing
      that something so simple can be so powerful. The crying can
      be understood as a surrogate for just about all our
      "negative" emotions -- and you can cry for joy as well --
      because the other negos are mostly surrogates for pain in
      any case. Anger for instance is a reponse to, and arises
      out of, a feeling of being injured. So just experience the
      pain (injury) directly and be finished with it. Or that's
      the idea anyway.

      MANCHINE QUOTES CASTANEDA

      From Wheel of Time - (Carlos Casteneda)

      Journey to Ixtlan

      For the everyday person, the world is strange because, if
      he is not bored with it, he's angry with it. For a
      "warrior", the world is strange because it is stupendous,
      incredible, mysterious and unfathomable. A "warrior" must
      assume the responsibility to be here, in this marvellous
      world, in this marvellous time.

      Ones acts have power, especially when the "warrior" who is
      "doing", knows that his acts are his last battle. There's a
      strange ardent happiness in acting in full knowledge that
      that which one is doing could well be his last act on this
      Earth.

      The Eagle's Gift

      A warrior knows what he is waiting for, and also what
      awaits him; while he waits, he feasts his eyes in the
      contemplation of the world. The definitive achievment of a
      "warrior" is to enjoy in the delight of all infinty.

      The destiny of a "warrior" follows an inalterable path. The
      challenge consists in how far one can go and how impecable
      one can be within destiny's narrow confines.

      When the "warrior" lets go of every type of expectation,
      actions of others no longer affect him. A strange peace
      converts into the force that guides his life. He has
      adopted one of the concepts of life of a "warrior".

      To all living things, He has given the power, if as such
      each desires, to find the opening to freedom and pass
      through it. It is obvious for those who see this opening,
      and for the creatures that pass through it, that the
      "Eagle" has given this gift as an end to perpetuate
      consciousness.

      A summary:

      Ones acts have power, to find the opening to freedom. Any
      one of these acts may be your last.

      And that's all there is folks!

      ON THE PORCH WITH JUDI AND GLORIA

      JUDI: And in closing, let me say, that on this Memorial Day
      Weekend, let us remember those that have given their lives
      so we may live and sit on porch steps with those that we
      love.

      GLORIA: This is very sweet and kind of you, Judi, to
      remember them this way. Then I got to thinking how much
      appreciation and gratitude you have for life. And its
      always expressed about people and the beach and the simple
      things, not that people died so we could make a million
      bucks..but to sit on the porch... now you're getting me all
      teary.

      JUDI: Well thank you Gloria, very much. I don't know about
      you, but I grew up knowing that the porch was what life was
      really all about. Everyone in my family and friends did
      this and did that, like everyone else does ya know, but the
      porch is where it all came back to. And if truth be told,
      that's where it all started too, was the porch. :-) Few
      people know this. :-) It's one of life's little secrets.
      :-)

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      On this memorial day weekend, let us treat it a little
      differently than the rest of the country...

      Let us realize what a very small part memory really plays
      in our lives.

      Memory is an important function to technically survive in
      the world, but when we bring up memories (good or bad) to
      reflect on, we miss out on the unspeakable glory of this
      current moment, this Now.

      Sometimes memories just arise... memories of good times
      shared with friends, memories of childhood. Let us not push
      these memories away, but neither let us dwell upon them.

      To live in memory is to be spiritually dead. As people get
      older, they tend to pay less and less attention to now, as
      the attraction seems to fade. People retire, they lose
      friends and relatives to death, and the anticipation of
      their own death draws near. It seems attractive to more and
      more dwell in the land of memory, recalling adventures of
      youth, to escape what is perceived as dwindling meaning and
      purpose (and increasing fear) in the Here-Now.

      Yet, to do so is to hasten death, to encourage it. Now is
      the only time, Here is the only place. Let us be supremely
      focused, Here and Now. Let us find the real reason to go
      on, Now.

      Now is always available. It never fails us. Even those with
      Alzheimers or who are senile can access Now. Now is open to
      all; memory is temporary, unreliable and in the end cheats
      us.

      Let the memories of the past go. They are nothing but
      chains tethering us to things dead and gone, to the unreal.
      There is incredibly glory in the Now, if only we would
      remain Here, Now, to discover it.

      A NET of JEWELS daily meditations for seekers of Truth
      RAMESH S. BALSEKAR <http://www.advaita.org/>

      The only thing you know as a matter of certainty is the
      fact I AM. But you do not know who this "I" is. One must
      first find out precisely who or what it is that is seeking
      truth and happiness before there is any possibility of
      knowing the transcendental Reality.

      Just as the difference between the space in a pot and the
      space outside it disappears when the pot is demolished, so
      also does duality disappear when it is realized that the
      difference between the individual consciousness and the
      Universal Consciousness does not in fact exist.

      MICHAEL J.:

      I....Exist I....Exist I....Exist I....Exist I....Exist
      I....Exist I....Exist I....Exist I....Exist . . . as me....
      I...Exist...as...me.

      ANDREW:

      Who exists? I am existence.

      MICHAEL J.:

      Who is I am?

      Who is Andrew?

      Who cares? :)

      ANDREW:

      I forget. It's on the tip of my tongue...no, I just can't
      quite...maybe it's written down somewhere. hmmm

      We are the Nonduality Generation
      http://www.nonduality.com
      http://www.nondualitysalon.com