#3617 - Friday, August 7, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 4:15 AM
      #3617 - Friday, August 7, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Dear Friends

      I hope you like this small book:
      The Core of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Teaching
      It is along with some 23 Netlogues at:

      Love
      Pradeep
      Selection from

      SRI NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ: THE CORE OF HIS TEACHING

      By
      PRADEEP APTE
      (aptep@...)

      1.

      Understanding the ‘I am’, your sense
      of ‘being’ or just ‘presence’ is
      extremely important as on it rests
      the entire outcome of the teaching.

      2.

      You have ‘to be’ before anything else
      can be, your sense of ‘presence’ or
      the feeling ‘I am’ is really
      fundamental to anything that has to
      follow.

      3.

      This sense of ‘being’ or the feeling ‘I
      am’, was it not the very first event or
      happening before any of your living
      experiences could begin?

      4.

      Apply your mind, go back in time
      and try to recollect the moment
      when for the first time it dawned on
      you that ‘you are’ or ‘I am’. This
      nascent ‘I am’ is without words or
      non-verbal.

      5.

      This ‘I am’ is still there with you,
      ever present, ever available, it was
      and still is the first thought, refuse
      all other thoughts and come back
      there and stay there.

      6.

      Establish yourself firmly in the ‘I
      am’ and reject all that does not go
      with it.

      7.

      Only the ‘I am’ is certain, it’s
      impersonal, all knowledge stems
      from it, it’s the root, hold on to it and
      let all else go.

      8.

      When the ‘I am’ goes all that
      remains is the Absolute, give all your
      attention to the ‘I am’.

      9.

      The ‘I am’ is the sum total of all that
      you perceive, it’s time-bound, the
      ‘I am’ itself is an illusion, you are not
      the ‘I am’ you are prior to it.

      10.

      Immortality is freedom from the
      feeling ‘I am’, to have that freedom
      remain in the sense ‘I am’.

      11.

      The beginning and the end of
      knowledge is the ‘I am’, be attentive
      to the ‘I am’, once you understand it,
      you are apart from it.

      12.

      You must meditate on the ‘I am’
      without holding on to the body-mind,
      the ‘I am’ is the first ignorance,
      persist on it and you will go beyond
      it.

      13.

      Your Guru, your God is the ‘I am’,
      with its coming came duality and all
      activity, stay on the ‘I am’, you are
      before the ‘I am’ appeared.

      14.

      Remain focused on the ‘I am’ till it
      goes into oblivion, then the eternal is,
      the Absolute is, Parabrahman is.

      15.

      Remember the knowledge ‘I am’
      only and give up the rest, staying in
      the ‘I am’ you will realize that it is
      unreal.

      16.

      Understand that the knowledge ‘I
      am’ has dawned on you and all are
      its manifestations, in this
      understanding you realize you are
      not the ‘I am’.

      17.

      When this concept ‘I am’ departs
      there will be no memory left that ‘I
      was’ and ‘I had’ those experiences,
      the very memory will be erased.

      18.

      With the arrival of the primary
      concept ‘I am’, time began, with its
      departure time will end; you the
      Absolute are not the primary
      concept ‘I am’.

      19.

      Appearance and disappearance,
      birth and death these are qualities of
      ‘I am’, they do not belong to you, the
      Absolute.

      20.

      Out of the nothingness, the ‘I am’ or
      beingness has come, there is no
      individual, the knowledge ‘I am’- not
      the individual – has to go back to its
      source.

      21.

      By meditating on the knowledge ‘I
      am’ it gradually settles down at its
      source and disappears, then you are
      the Absolute.

      22.

      Go on to know the ‘I am’ without
      words, you must be that and not
      deviate from it for even a moment,
      and then it will disappear.

      23.

      Get stabilized in the primary concept
      ‘I am’ in order to loose it and be free
      from all concepts. In understanding
      the unreality of ‘I am’ you are totally
      free from it.

      24.

      Sitting quietly, being one with the
      knowledge ‘I am’, you will lose all
      concern with the world, then the ‘I
      am’ will also go, leaving you as the
      Absolute.

      25.

      Putting aside everything, stabilize in
      the ‘I am’. As you continue with this
      practice, in the process you will
      transcend the ‘I am’.

      26.

      The very core of this consciousness is
      the quality ‘I am’, there is no
      personality or individual there,
      reside there and transcend it.

      27.

      Keep focused on the ‘I am’ till you
      become a witness to it, then you
      stand apart, you have reached the
      highest.

      28.

      When you remain in the ‘I am’ you
      will realize everything else is useless,
      and then you are Parabrahman, the
      Absolute.

      29.

      The One who abides in that principle
      by which he knows ‘I am’ knows all
      and does not require anything.

      30.

      Just sit and know that ‘you are’ the
      ‘I am’ without words, nothing else
      has to be done; shortly you will
      arrive to your natural Absolute state.

      31.

      You have to realize that you are not
      the body or the knowledge ‘I am’.
      You as the Absolute are neither, nor
      do you require them.

      32.

      The Absolute or the Parabrahman
      is prior to the ‘I am’, it’s the unborn
      state, so how can it have or even
      require the knowledge ‘I am’?

      33.

      You have to transcend the ‘I am’ to
      enter the concept-free Parabrahman
      state, where you do not even know
      you are!

      34.

      One who has realized the knowledge
      ‘I am’, which means transcending it
      as well, for him there is no birth or
      death nor any karma.

      35.

      Witnessing happens to the state prior
      to your saying the words ‘I am’.
      Right now, right here, you are the
      Absolute, the Parabrahman. Hold on
      to the ‘I am’ very firmly, ever abide
      in it and it’ll dissolve, then you are as
      you are.

      36.

      You are neither the ‘I am’ nor its
      activities, you as the Absolute are
      none of these. Be a true devotee, by
      abiding in the knowledge ‘I am’
      thereby transcending the experience
      of death to attain immortality.

      37.

      What is it in you that understands
      this knowledge ‘I am’ without a
      name, title or word? Sink in that
      innermost center and witness the
      knowledge ‘I am’.

      38.

      Totally accept the knowledge ‘I am’
      as oneself, and with full conviction
      and faith firmly believe in the dictum
      ‘I am that by which I know I am’.

      39.

      Catch hold of the knowledge ‘I am’
      in meditation and the realization will
      occur that ‘I’, the Absolute, am not
      the quality ‘I am’.

      40.

      Do nothing but stay in the knowledge
      ‘I am’, the ‘moolmaya’ or primary
      illusion, and then it will release its
      stranglehold on you and get lost.

      41.

      In deep meditation, infused only with
      the knowledge ‘I am’, it will be
      intuitively revealed to you as to how
      this ‘I amness’ came to be.

      42.

      To do away with body-mind sense or
      identity, imbibe or dwell in the ‘I
      am’. Later the ‘I am’ will merge into
      the ultimate nature.

      43.

      Having acquired and understood the
      knowledge ‘I am’ stay there in
      seclusion and don’t wander around
      here and there. Once you stabilize in
      the ‘I am’, you will realize that it is
      not the eternal state, but ‘you’ are
      eternal and ancient.

      44.

      The teaching is simple, when the ‘I
      am’ arises, everything appears, when
      ‘I am’ subsides everything
      disappears. Onto your Absoluteness,
      which is without form or shape,
      came this knowledge ‘I am’, which is
      also without shape and form.

      45.

      This knowledge ‘I am’ has
      spontaneously ‘appeared’ on your
      Absolute state, therefore it is an
      illusion. The feeling ‘I am’ is itself an
      illusion, therefore whatever is seen
      through this illusion cannot be real.

      46.

      When you meditate on the
      knowledge ‘I am’, which is the
      beginning of knowledge, how can
      there be any questions? It is not with
      the body identification that you
      should sit for meditation. It is the
      knowledge ‘I am’ that is meditating
      on itself.

      47.

      You should identify yourself only
      with this indwelling knowledge ‘I
      am’. That is all. Sit in meditation by
      identifying with the ‘I am’, dwell
      only on the ‘I am’- not merely the
      words ‘I am’.

      48.

      Forget all about physical disciplines
      in this connection and just be with
      the knowledge ‘I am’. When you are
      established in the ‘I am’ there are no
      thoughts or words.

      49.

      It is the ‘I am’ that investigates the ‘I
      am’ and on realizing its falsehood it
      disappears and merges into eternity.

      50.

      Along with the knowledge ‘I am’
      appears space and the world. When
      the knowledge ‘I am’ departs the
      world is liquidated.

      51.

      My Guru taught me what ‘I am’, I
      pondered only on that. My original
      state is to be in that state where there
      is no ‘I am’.

      52.

      Catch hold of the ‘I am’ and all
      obstacles will evaporate, you will be
      beyond the realm of body-mind.

      53.

      The ‘I am’ in body form can reach
      the highest state only if you
      understand, accept it and dwell
      there. Then you escape birth and
      death.

      54.

      The body identity cannot get this
      knowledge, the knowledge ‘I am’
      must get this knowledge; when
      knowledge abides in knowledge there
      is transcendence of knowledge.

      55.

      The ‘I am’ has great potency, the
      entire manifestation has come from
      it. When you dwell in the ‘I am’ as
      your destiny you realize that your
      destiny is not death but the
      disappearance of ‘I am’.

      56.

      Go to the ‘I am’ state, remain there,
      merge, and go beyond. If you were to
      dwell in the ‘I am’ and firmly abide
      in it, all external things will lose their
      grip on you.

      57.

      You are the Reality beyond the ‘I
      am’, you are the ‘Parabrahma’.
      Meditate on this and remember this,
      finally this idea, too, shall leave you.
      Understand the ‘I am’, transcend it
      and realize the Absolute.

      ~ ~ ~

      The rest of this book consists of dialogues with Pradeep Apte related to the I Am and the Absolute: