#3607 - Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2009
      #3607 - Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      I was searching for information on the death of musician Bill East. I couldn't find anything, but I came across this obituary, which I like:

      EAST, Nannie

      Nannie East was born April 5, 1925,in Coeburn, VA. She went home to be with her maker on July 11, 2009, after an illness in the hospital. Her family was at her bedside. Nannie spent many years in Warriormine, WV, serving her community and cooking for Big Creek High School. Nannie was always willing to help others and she loved to serve her family and community. She enjoyed baking and cooking for many organizations in her hometown. I am sure when you mention her name she will be remembered for her rolls and peanut butter cakes. Nannie really loved her job at the school and when she got ready to retire after 40 years of service, Big Creek dedicated the cafeteria in her honor. She lived in WV for many years with her husband, William “Bill” East. They had two daughters, Billie and Dorothy. Billie married Coburn Kennedy and they have two children. Dorothy married Boyd Rutherford. They also have two children. Nannie moved to Mt. Juliet, TN with Billie and her family where many loving memories were made. She was a member of the Mt. Juliet Church of God. She is now in Heaven with all its beauty where she will forever serve her Lord and Savior. Gloryland is sweeter with her there. She will be greatly missed here, but never forgotten by those who knew and loved her. Nannie is survived by her sister, Charolette Williams, two daughters and two sons-in-law, four grandchildren and their spouses, two great-grandchildren and one more on the way. There is also a host of family, friends and a loving neighbor. Nannie was preceded in death by her husband, mother, grandparents, two brothers and one sister. Her final resting place will be Grandview Memory Gardens in Bluefield, VA. A private service for the family was held. Go rest high on that mountain, your work on earth is done. Arrangements by Sellars Funeral Home, 2250 N. Mt. Juliet Road, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122, 615-758-5459, Obituary Line 615-758-8818, www.sellarsfuneralservices.com

      pain and pleasure are strains
      in the tightly intertwined rope
      making up this world of opposites,
      no one without the other.
      a rope that binds the illusion identity,
      (whose true nature remains ever free)
      to the addictive excitement game
      of loss and gain,
      attraction, rejection, joy of winning,
      and pain.

      in darkness, the light of truth hidden
      by storm clouds of ignorant fears and desires
      this rope appears to be a scary snake,
      frightening to the core the gullible,
      who identify self with a form and a name.
      but when understanding dawns
      illuminating the heart with grace
      all distinctions and separations cease.
      the rope of illusion is burnt to ashes.
      the obvious is always self evident
      how can the boundless be bound?
      timeless truth was never lost. so
      how can it ever be found?

      yosy

      ~ ~ ~

      Good poem.  Although the timeless truth
      was never lost, it can be recognized
      for what it is, rather than, as previously,
      taken for what it is not.

      Thus this recognition is not considered
      a gain, but rather a loss, ajnana nivritti,
      the removal of ignorance (of what the truth
      of my present experience actually is.)

      If I see the rope as a snake and react
      in fear, then when some kind friend,
      takes me by the hand and shines
      a light on that rope, so that I
      see what it truly is, I don't
      gain a new experience, but rather
      I loose my ignorance of what the
      rope is, of what my actual experience,
      which I had interpreted so incorrectly,
      truly is.

      I find in talking to people this is the most difficult
      thing for them to get.  We are all so experience
      oriented, looking for new, better, bigger,
      more fantastic, flashy experiences as a way
      of finding happiness.  And because the recognition of
      the truth is reputed to be the best possible 'experience,'
      one then thinks that this recognition is some really
      'out there' big experience, bigger than one has ever
      had before.

      Because we are all familiar with pleasant mental
      experiences, and because sometimes when we
      are meditating, or in a quiet space, or in some
      'satsang' setting, and we feel calm and peaceful
      and happy, or we feel ecstatic and blissful, and
      because we have heard descriptions like that,
      and even received various encouragements
      from 'teachers' who themselves are confused,
      we think, "Oh this 'experience' this pleasant,
      or blissful experience has got to be 'it.' "

      Then, of course, because this is an experience, and
      like all experiences temporary in nature, when we
      loose that blissful state, we think we've 'lost it,'
      and then we have to go 'find it,' or repeat
      that experience again.

      So, IMO, this is a big problem, and one that is
      very difficult for people to understand.

      Experience seeking is natural.  It's all we know
      how to do, until and unless we come to understand
      that experiences (no matter how profound or
      blissful) come and go, but the truth, which is
      ever present, and totally accessible here and
      now, does not come and go.  It cannot.

      So, if one has an experience, and it goes, then
      my advice would be to try and find out, who is
      it this experience occurred to?  Is there
      'someone' always there?  That's the first step,
      the first question, in atma vichara, (inquiry
      into the nature of the self.)

      Always I am
      Always I shine (from Advaita Makaranda [the Nectar of Nonduality])

      --Durga

      Orva Schrock sent this oldy but goody:

      TWO WOLVES

      One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

      He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

      "One is Evil -  It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

      "The other is Good -  It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

      The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

      The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."