#3580 - Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      #3580 - Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nonduality Highlights - The first periodical publication on nonduality - Submissions welcome

      What Is Grace?

      “What is grace” I asked God.

      And He said,
      “All that happens.”
      Then He added, when I looked perplexed,
      “Could not lovers
      say that every moment in their Beloved’s arms
      was grace?
      Existence is my arms,
      though I well understand how one can turn
      away from me
      until the heart has
      wisdom.”

      - St John of the Cross

      From: Love Poems from God: by Daniel Ladinsky

      posted to Wisdom-l by Tim Smith

      St. John of the Cross (1542 - 1591)
      extracts from:

      I Came Into the Unknown

      I came into the unknown
      and stayed there unknowing
      rising beyond all science.

      I did not know the door
      but when I found the way,
      unknowing where I was,
      I learned enormous things,
      but what I felt I cannot say,
      for I remained unknowing,
      rising beyond all science.

      It was the perfect realm
      of holiness and peace.
      In deepest solitude
      I found the narrow way:
      a secret giving such release
      that I was stunned and stammering,
      rising beyond all science.

      I was so far inside,
      so dazed and far away
      my senses were released
      from feelings of my own.
      My mind had found a surer way:
      a knowledge of unknowing,
      rising beyond all science.

      This knowledge is supreme
      crossing a blazing height;
      though formal reason tries
      it crumbles in the dark,
      but one who would control the night
      by knowledge of unknowing
      will rise beyond all science.

      And if you wish to hear:
      the highest science leads
      to an ecstatic feeling
      of the most holy Being;
      and from his mercy comes his deed:
      to let us stay unknowing,
      rising beyond all science.

      English version by Willis Barnstone

      posted to Wisdom-l by Tim Smith

      full version:

      http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/J/JohnoftheCro/ICameIntoUnk.htm

      Allow to me to put in a vote for the recognition that mystics may come in all denominations, but they are all consumed within the same ecstatic moment.

      Truth is Truth.

      Do you know about the "Cloud of Unknowing"? It is evidence of the not insignificant recognition within the Church of exactly the kind of wisdom coming out of the East these past few hundred years. But it was home-grown, as all mystics seem to be (there is much to think about in this). Check out Wikipedia for a quick and loose commentary on it:

      "The Cloud of Unknowing is an anonymous work of Christian mysticism written in Middle English in the latter half of the 14th century. The text is a spiritual guide on contemplative prayer and the esoteric techniques and meanings of late medieval monasticism.
      The book counsels a young student not to seek God through knowledge but through what the author speaks of as a "naked intent" and a "blind love."

      "Our intense need to understand will always be a powerful stumbling block to our attempts to reach God in simple love [...] and must always be overcome. For if you do not overcome this need to understand, it will undermine your quest. It will replace the darkness which you have pierced to reach God with clear images of something which, however good, however beautiful, however Godlike, is not God."

      In a follow-up to The Cloud, called The Book of Privy Counseling, the author characterizes the practice of contemplative unknowing as worshiping God with one's "substance," coming to rest in a "naked blind feeling of being," and ultimately finding thereby that God is one's being.

      The Cloud of Unknowing draws on the mystical tradition of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, which has reputedly inspired generations of mystical searchers from John Scotus Erigena, through Book of Taliesin, Nicholas of Cusa and St. John of the Cross to Teilhard de Chardin (the latter two of whom may have been influenced by "The Cloud" itself)."

      BTW, in case it is not immediately obvious, "science" in the quote from St. John of the Cross refers to "knowing," i.e. conceptual knowledge, not the science that we are familiar with today which is a method to achieve conceptual knowledge. That didn't exist yet at the time he wrote. I only mention it because St. John's words point us to a direct experiential engagement (open awareness?) rather than an intellectual exercise. Thus he points out among the last few stanzas that this "knowledge of unknowing" is a higher knowledge, which seems contradictory... but that's the trick isn't it :)

      Warmly,
      James

      posted to OpenAwareness by James Corrigan

      In Silence

      Be still.
      Listen to the stones of the wall.
      Be silent, they try
      To speak your

      Name.
      Listen
      To the living walls.
      Who are you?
      Who
      Are you? Whose
      Silence are you?

      Who (be quiet)
      Are you (as these stones
      Are quiet). Do not
      Think of what you are
      Still less of
      What you may one day be.
      Rather
      Be what you are (but who?) be
      The unthinkable one
      You do not know.

      O be still, while
      You are still alive,
      And all things live around you
      Speaking (I do not hear)
      To your own being,
      Speaking by the Unknown
      That is in you and in themselves.

      “I will try, like them
      To be my own silence:
      And this is difficult. The whole
      World is secretly on fire. The stones
      Burn, even the stones
      They burn me. How can a man be still or
      Listen to all things burning? How can he dare
      To sit with them
      When all their silence
      Is on fire?”

      ~ Thomas Merton ~

      (The Strange Islands: Poems by Thomas Merton)