#3541 - Saturday, May 23, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3541, Saturday, May 23, 2009

      Joy and Sorrow

      Then a woman said, 'Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.'

      And he answered:

      Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
      And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
      And how else can it be?
      The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
      Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
      And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
      When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
      When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
      Some of you say, 'Joy is greater than sorrow,' and others say, 'Nay, sorrow is the greater.'
      But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
      Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
      Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
      Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
      When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

      - Kahlil Gibran

      Look To this Day

      Look to this day:
      For it is life, the very life of life.
      In its brief course
      Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
      The bliss of growth,
      The glory of action,
      The splendour of achievement
      Are but experiences of time.

      For yesterday is but a dream
      And tomorrow is only a vision;
      And today well-lived, makes
      Yesterday a dream of happiness
      And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
      Look well therefore to this day
      Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn!

      - Kalidasa

      Love came,
      and became like blood in my body.
      It rushed through my veins and
      encircled my heart.
      Everywhere I looked,
      I saw one thing.
      Love's name written
      on my limbs,
      on my left palm,
      on my forehead,
      on the back of my neck,
      on my right big toe!
      Oh, my friend,
      all that you see of me
      is just a shell,
      and the rest belongs to love.

      - Abu-Said Abil-Kheir, posted to The_Now2

      Reality

      In love, nothing exists between heart and heart.
      Speech is born out of longing,
      True description from the real taste.
      The one who tastes, knows;
      the one who explains, lies.
      How can you describe the true form of Something
      In whose presence you are blotted out?
      And in whose being you still exist?
      And who lives as a sign for your journey?

      - Rabia al Basri, translated by Daniel Ladinsky

      fire may burn the wood...

      fire may burn the wood
      the ashes do not mind

      - Nirmala, from Allspirit