Highlights for Thursday May 18th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2000
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Dear Friends,

      Some of you might be aware that the HarshaSatsangha Millenium Summer
      Retreat at the Zen Providence Center in Rhode Island, scheduled for the July
      14 Weekend, is now in its final planning stages.

      Among some of the internationally renowned luminaries attending are Sri
      Gregji Maharaj (Co-Moderator of Advaitin and HarshaSatsangha), Sri Jerryji
      Maharaj (the founder of Nonduality Salon who coined the phrase that "we are
      the nonduality generation", Sri Michael Read known and loved for his humor,
      and many others known to us.

      There is no fee for the retreat and it is completely free for those who
      come. This is a gathering in joyous fellowship. The Zen Center of
      Providence, for a nominal charge, can provide housing and delicious
      vegetarian dishes for the weekend for those who will be staying there.

      Sri Gloria Devi is in charge of communications with the Zen Center of
      Providence and is facilitating finding suitable housing for those who are
      coming. Please contact her for more information (Sri Gloria's address is
      given in the address line).

      The Zen Center of Providence consists of 50 acres of land and is located in
      a beautiful and peaceful scenic area. The Zen Monks chant every evening. I
      look forward to meeting many of you there.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      Harsha, David, Andrew Macnab, Michael, Christiana, Gloria, Greg,
      Mark, OH, Nora, myself, all from NDS, along with HS members,
      are intending to make the pilgrimage to HarshaSatsangh.

      Try to get there, folks. You will enjoy entertainment,
      conversation, quiet moments, workshops, and meet the best
      people. Those who want to party, will party. Those who want
      to be quiet, will be quiet.

      It's the weekend of July 14. Do whatever it takes to get
      there. Take part in the making of herstory!

      All people who love nondual teachings and the teachers of
      nondual teachings; all people who are into the nondual from
      whatever angle they personally know, are invited to this
      bash. Speaking only for myself, may I offer that it is a
      celebration of knowing nonduality. This is OUR time and our
      thing and our statement and celebration. So come to these
      Nonduality Days, sponsored by Harsha and HarshaSatsangh, and
      coordinated by the vibrant Gloria Lee.

      Jerry

      Reality is simply the loss of ego. Destroy the
      ego by seeking its identity. Because the ego is
      no entity it will automatically vanish and reality
      will shine forth by itself.

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      In truth we are not separate from god. But we do enter this life
      assuming separation (duality).Now this assuming separation is not
      somehting that we do through mind. It is not a thinking process,"oh,
      ive incarnated therefore i am separate".It is not a belief system. If
      only it were that simple.If it were, then we could just change the
      way we think and that would end this suffering of all mankind that is
      created by the illusion of separation.
      So it is not just the religions that perpetuate this myth. Every
      aspect of our human society perpetuates the myth because no one
      (pardon my gross generalization) realizes the truth. If we do not
      realize IT, the truth, the myth of separation then we individually do
      our part to perpetuate the myth.
      .......matthew

      One of the surest signs of separation (from unconditional
      happiness) is anger... If you are bliss - who is to experience
      bliss - can water experience it's wetness ?:)

      Laughing louder,

      Jan

      Can any of you tell me: What IS death? What dies?

      Nisargatta: "Integration of the body ends and disintegration sets in."

      Makes sense here. There is nothing more to death than that.
      Everything else said about it is really just a concept about it.

      Some think they fear death, but they fear only their
      conceptualization of it, their idea of what it is, their imaginary
      projection of the future.

      Or they fear the loss of loved ones (again in some projected
      future). Loved ones? Do love and fear exist together? Fear of the
      loss of loved ones is due to a clinging, not to anything that can be
      reasonably called love. There is little difference here than the
      fear of a valued item being stolen. The love may be real, the
      clinging is not. Let come what comes, let go what goes.

      Those who think they will die identify totally with the body, and
      think they are a physical body. Likewise with birth. What is born
      and what dies?

      A body, that's all. Are there not 7 billion (human) bodies? What is
      the big deal? Thousands of bodies die daily, thousands more are born
      daily.

      There is nothing special about the body of a "realized sage." It's
      just another body, and it dies the same as any other body.

      "Osho" is just a label, a series of concepts, a word. The word is
      associated with a body that failed to function and began to
      disintegrate at some point. Big deal?

      Tim

      ~ How about waiting to find out when it happens?
      Anything else would be speculation.

      xan

      You said "WHEN it happens." Is this not also speculation? Is there
      certain knowledge that death will occur? If so, please describe the
      memory of your previous deaths, so that I may know what about this is
      not speculative.

      Gotcha ;-)

      Love,

      Tim

      Something happens. I can testify to that. Having sat with
      someone as they passed through this "something", I can
      verify the release of "something." It is palpable. It can be
      felt and seen. No speculation there.

      Marcia

      Death is what makes life bright, sweet, sharp.

      Without death there is no perception of life.

      Just as there is no perception of heat without cold
      or light without dark.

      andrew

      No speculation - some could be so fortunate as for instance,
      to observe the death of the potential to get angry, to blame
      etc. while being vibrantly alive :)

      Jan

      There is neither life nor death. Now tell me what THAT is.

      Jerry

      D: Anything that can be perceived as having a beginning
      has an ending. Anything perceived as coming into
      existence can go out of existence. Whatever
      integrates can disintegrate.

      Recognizing that there is nothing to cling to,
      what is that like?
      Even the one who seemed to be able to cling
      turned out to be just another "something",
      another perceived "beginning-and-ending thing".

      Any statement of truth has a beginning and ending.

      Rather than trying to state the eternal truth, I find it
      useful to notice that anything said begins and ends.
      Anything I notice as experience begins and ends.
      When I notice that the "I" that notices
      beginnings and endings is only there as an idea
      that begins and ends, it gets interesting.

      Rather than say there is Something that doesn't begin
      and end, I find it particularly useful to notice
      that that statement itself begins and ends.

      What notices "death"? What notices beginnings and endings
      while not ever noticing its "own" beginning and ending?
      To say "self" or "no-thingness" is a statement that begins
      and ends.

      Love,
      Dan

      OK, folks, I can't let this one go by. Somebody, Sarlo maybe :-)),
      get a big stick out and get ready to whack me over the head!

      Death is transformation. So is birth. The two are inextricably tied
      together. What transforms? Life. Life into life into life into life
      into life ............ Or, as it is stated in the Catholic credo
      "...[W]orld without end...Amen."

      How do I know this? Well, ahem, I'm well, actually, ahem, ahhh, hummm,
      I am 4,000,000 years old. :-| Maybe I'm kidding, maybe I'm telling the
      truth!

      I neither fear death nor do I look forward to death. Jesus did say
      that in his father's house there are many mansions! :-)))))

      --------------------

      In 1971 my father died. He or his presence came to visit me and we
      had
      a nice conversation. Last year my mother died. She came to visit me,
      my sisters, and my brothers at different times and places. She scared
      the shit out of my youngest sister! HooHaH!

      While my mother was lying on her death bed, she was such a miserable
      sight. She was eaten up with cancer and more than half delerious from
      the pain medications. One afternoon as I sat there holding her hand
      something most remarkable occurred.

      As we gazed into each other eyes, smiling, the love between us grew
      more and more intense. Within moments we were transformed into pure
      white light. There are no words in human language to describe that
      experience. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

      I'll close with this description of the gateless gate. It seems
      appropriate somehow.

      The Gateless Gate

      The great path has no gates,
      Thousands of roads enter it.
      When one passes through this gateless gate
      He walks freely between heaven and earth.

      Death, HAH! The joke's on US! After all, WE the ONE wrote IT! :-))

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - and All is Illusion - Michael

      Last night in the movie, "Jesus", there were a handful of
      very powerful scenes.....one of which was the scene after
      they wereleaving Passover supper. Peter once again assured
      Jesus that he was prepared to accompany Jesus to jail,
      or even to die alongside him.....

      when of course, Jesus told him no, Peter would not
      be willing to die alongside Jesus.....that he would even
      wind up denying 3 times that night even knowing Jesus!

      Then as Jesus went off to pray in the Mount of Olives,
      Satan visited him and enticed Jesus to ignore God's
      will.

      One tact satan used was to describe in excruciating
      detail the pain and torment that awaited him. He described
      the lashes of whip cutting into the bare skin accross Jesus'
      back.....the hammering of nails into his wrists.....the
      tearing of his flesh as his body weight began pulling away
      from the nails upon the cross.

      I cannot begin to give this scene the justice it deserves,
      but what a powerful, powerful portrayal of the meeting
      face to face with suffering......with death.

      We know how easy it is to simply say, "what is death,
      anyway?"

      or "it's only a body".....but to actually be made to face
      what Jesus was said to have faced....and then to willingly
      and heartfully walk to one's execution.....

      well.....the scene left me gaping.

      To me, *choosing* death,

      or rather... *not resisting* death

      when it 'appears' one has the opportunity
      to avoid or evade it,

      to me is a very very big deal.

      Melody
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Hi Melody,

      That scene was very powerful for me also. And it was
      the nature of Satan that did it for me. It was how he
      looked and what he said. It all sounded so reasonable.
      He showed Jesus scenes from the future and the things
      that would be done in his (Jesus) name. He kept telling
      Jesus that he would die in vain (or is it vane?). It was a
      scene about Will. Jesus kept saying he was here to do his
      father's will. And Satan kept saying it would all be for
      nothing.

      Marcia

      *******
      hehe. That satan is a funny guy. :-)

      Ram Tzu knows this..

      Only a fool
      would trade
      everything he has
      for nothing.

      Dancing Free!
      Judi

      [I posted this to Harsha's list last night. I was inspired by my Yoga
      teacher, who is a fanatic about having us fold the blankets correctly at
      the end of each workshop, so I started thinking about the metaphors
      involved - David] (Hodges)

      The foundations of Yoga:

      Balance - Balance is fundamental to Yoga on many levels.
      Physical balance is achieved when we have a quiet mind and
      can trust the body's intelligence. The centers of balance
      are intuitively felt to be in the pelvis, solar plexus,
      shoulders, and feet. When we can let go of conscious
      control and let the body learn to balance in a tree pose, a
      headstand, or other balancing poses, we have learned to key
      to inner balance as well, to balancing our emotions and our
      vital energies for daily life.

      Breath - Breath is the great intermediary between the
      physical and spiritual worlds. The rhythm of breath is what
      allows us to extend and deepen into our poses and to let go
      more and more of the holdings that bind us. By becoming
      aware of breath and how it circulates energy in our bodies,
      we become aware on a deeper level of our energetic patterns
      and movements.

      Awareness - Awareness is the key to everything. Yoga
      teaches us to maintain awareness without attachment to ego.
      Without worrying about how well we are doing or if we are
      impressing someone, we let awareness deepen with until we
      come aware of our body from the inside. Awareness descends
      into the abdomen, the pelvis, the legs, the feet. Awareness
      extends into our roots in the earth and into our crown of
      energy above us. Awareness shifts from the conceptual into
      the deeply experiential flow of the moment during a yoga
      workshop, until, in Shiva Asana, there is no separate "me",
      but simply the awareness of the greater Self that unites
      everyone in the room.

      Alignment - The key to asanas is alignment. Alignment of
      the bones to each other, of the skull to the shoulders, to
      the hips, to the legs and feet. Alignment of muscles to
      bone, Alignment of mind to breath. Alignment of intention
      to practise. Alignment of self to Self. Alignment of
      student to teacher and students to each other. Alignment of
      learning communities to civic communities and global
      community. Through the simple acts of gently moving our
      necks back to align with our spines, and tipping our pelvis
      to align the sacral muscles, we begin to align our bodies,
      souls, and spirits with the great alignment patterns that
      govern the spiritual worlds.

      Folding the Blankets: Blankets are key parts of our yoga
      practice. In other parts of life blankets are used for
      warmth and comfort, but in yoga they are also used for
      support and extension and alignment. Therefore, folding the
      blankets at the end of the session is a sign of the respect
      we have for our yoga practice as a whole. And folding the
      blankets is a metaphor as well for everything goes into
      supporting our yoga practice: Every conscious effort to
      place our lives on a foundation of healthy diet, wholesome
      self-care, and daily discipline of practise is folding the
      blankets. Every effort to purify our bodies and calm our
      minds is folding the blankets. Every attempt to live with
      integrity, to conduct relationships with honesty and love,
      and to work with dedication and cheerfulness, is folding
      the blankets. And when we come to class and find the
      blankets neatly folded on the racks, and find our lives
      consciously prepared for practise, we can go deeper into
      alignment, awareness, breath, and balance, which, in turn,
      deepen and enrich our daily lives.