#3509 - Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2009
      #3509 - Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights -

      Scott Kiloby, Jeff Belyea, and Pete are featured, along with notice of PARADOXICA: Journal of Nondual Psychology.

      I AM REALITY

      Choiceless love is the touchstone of awareness. If it is not there, you are merely interested - for some personal reasons.
      -- NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ

      I am non-dual reality.

      I am not the relative self nor am I other than the relative self.

      There is nothing that I am not.

      I am the vast universe as well as the dust mite on your pillow.

      I am self and selflessness.

      I am form and formlessness.

      I am time and timelessness.

      I am being and becoming.

      I am path and no path, choice and no choice.

      I am the absolute and the relative.

      I am no thought and every thought, no view and every view, nothing and everything.

      I am every dualistic opposite.

      I am One appearing as two.

      Many have tried to pin me down to one or the other but there is nothing that I am not.

      When the mind tries to pin me down to one or the other, it does so for personal reasons.

      I am you and I am also the enemy you reject in order to further your agenda.

      I am exactly what you say I am. But I am also what you believe I am not.

      You try to grasp onto me by placing me in boxes. But I am every box and I am that which contains all boxes. I am also the grasping.

      Some point to me very clearly but then try to own me. I cannot be owned. I am none other than the one who is pointing, the pointers themselves, and that which is being pointed to. I am also the one who has never heard the word “non-duality.” I am also the lion in the jungle for whom the concept ‘non-duality’ has no meaning whatsoever. For the lion, reality is not conceptual. It is about finding meat and shade. For the human, reality becomes conceptual. I am both the actual and the conceptual.

      I am no one. I am someone. I am the very life that is being lived right now and the concepts that arise to describe that life.

      I am one life appearing in a billion minds as a billion stories.

      The moment you think you know what I am, you don’t. You cannot pin me down or keep me on “your side.” I am what you reject also. I am the other side too. In that way, I am already free of conflict. I am choiceless love. If you cannot see this, you are engaged for personal reasons.

      --Scott Kiloby

      Two births

      By way of physical birth,
      we enter a world as a distinct
      'separate' being. It takes a
      while to recognize our "I am"
      as opposed to 'others".

      Prior to that recognition,
      we seem to live in what we
      perceive as a benevolent world.
      We're rocked, fed, keep warm
      and dry...all out needs are met.
      Life is good.

      Then one day it hits us (sometimes
      in the form of a slap or harsh
      words) that this world is not
      entirely benevolent. We are taught
      to watch out, think, plan ahead,
      not to trust strangers...and
      a host of other social shapings.

      Many of these taught behaviors
      are considered necessary and
      civil. But when we give up
      the lightness of spirit and
      feeling of benevolence of a
      child, we are in danger of
      never recovering that joy
      again in our lifetime.

      As Thoreau wrote, "Most men
      (people) live lives of quiet
      desperation."

      Very often that takes the
      shape of a consciousness
      that puts on a persona that
      smiles and says quietly, and
      not without a tinge of sadness,
      to itself,"It's not that bad."

      Well, it's not that bad is
      a long way from a vibrant
      fullness of joy and peace
      of mind that we once knew
      as a child.

      The good news (the gospel) is
      that vibrant fullness of joy
      and peace of mind IS possible
      as an adult. We CAN recover
      the lightness of spirit, and
      we can enjoy it from the
      knowledgeable perspective of
      an adult - a fabulous combination;
      a fantastic, delightful, blissful
      way to live.

      Inner peace, equanimity and
      joy can run like living water
      as an undercurrent of our lives.
      Of course, life brings some
      ups and downs, but once tasted,
      the living water is always
      there to quench our thirst
      (for inner peace) and run as
      an undercurrent - and the
      emotional loop of the ups and
      downs is drastically reduced
      in scope and duration.

      We experience...and then we
      let go and move on with the flow,
      not wrestling with reality,
      fully and unconditionally
      accepting what IS.

      To know this requires another
      birth. Jesus called it the
      Birth of the Spirit. In Buddhism
      it's Awakening, Satori in Zen,
      Samadhi in Hindu traditions,
      Peak Experience and Self-Actualization
      or Self-Realization in non-theistic
      language.

      This is The Mystic Path. It
      culminates in a direct experiential
      'knowledge' (gnosis) of our pure
      being, our place within divinity
      (Source, Higher Self).

      To experience this "birth" is
      profound grace, and it comes
      as a most exquisite gift.

      From many reports, and personal
      experience, preparation for
      receipt of this grace/gift takes
      many forms.

      Some come in utter despair
      and give up any hope of relief,
      only to be gifted with this
      enlightening rush of new wisdom
      and an entirely new perspective
      on life.

      Some come through devotion and
      profound faith, having their
      hope and expectation stirred
      by authentic teachers who are
      empowered to witness of this
      'event' from their own event.

      Some hear the still small voice
      in the midst of quiet meditation.

      Some come to it in a combination
      of these ways, and most probably
      in other ways that I am not
      familiar with. Some have reported
      this awakening (by any other
      name - like: nondual realization)
      spontaneously - waiting for a
      bus, watching a sunset, picking
      up a newspaper. (Most of these
      later tell, sometimes reluctantly,
      of an interest in the Mystic Path
      and of having spent some time
      with a guru or their teachings.)

      If the thirst is there, the path
      will open up. If the experience
      is familiar - all of us who have
      received this incredible grace
      always find reference to it
      affirming and refreshing.

      Enjoying an early morning
      Vanilla Biscotti coffee,
      sending you Love, wishing
      you Happy Birthday(s).

      --Jeffj Belyea

      Recently, physicists, finally, saw an electron
      and filmed it. Wow! But when you watch it,
      do you see an electron? Not really! You
      only see an electron represented with points
      of light.

      The representation is remarkable enough, but is
      not "the thing in itself." Each point of light
      in the picture lasted only an attosecond. To
      give you an idea how short of a time duration an
      attosecond represents: there are more attoseconds
      in a second, than seconds had gone by since the
      Big Bang. Such things are beyond our understanding.

      Representing an electron with light it's like
      representing a dog with a cat. We only understand
      representations, which means, we don't understand
      reality at all. All we can do with reality is
      sense it, feel it, be it. When we try to explain,
      we fall into an imagination swamp.

      So, if seeing the film below, you imagine that you see
      an electron that's OK, and if you imagine that you're
      gazing into the tiny, tiny pupil of God's eye,
      that, too, is fine.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hck3t8hqdsU

      -Pete

      PARADOXICA: Journal of Nondual Psychology

      Mission

      The mission of this journal is to focus on the emerging area of nondual psychology. Paradoxically, nondual psychology has been thriving for thousands of years in the form of nondual approaches to awakening found in the heart of many wisdom traditions and spiritual pathways including: Advaita, Zen, Hinduism, Vedanta, Sufism, and various forms of Buddhism and Tantra. Transpersonal psychology has been around since the late 1960’s, but now nondual psychology is now being recognized as a new force in the field of psychology and psychotherapy. The journal emphasizes the transformational awakening process found in many settings including: the individual lived experience, in a clinical setting with a therapist or while participating in a group process, and a person working with a teacher, guru, or spiritual guide. This journal is also open to a deep engagement of the issues involved in facilitating nondual awakenings clinically or as a guide with others.

      Theoretical and phenomenological accounts will be accepted but the main focus is on promoting transformational awakening as opposed to mere intellectual speculation and mystification.  Potential topic areas can range from: awakening in the many nondual approaches such as Zen, Vedanta, Tantra, Advaita, and Neo-Advaita, as well as in emerging Western approaches such as Almaas’s Diamond approach or Wilber’s Integral approach, as well as “What is enlightenment?”, and evolutionary enlightenment. In addition, addressing the many barriers to awakening is important including: unresolved shadow issues, trauma, developmental issues, addictions and mental health issues, gender issues, embodiment, and distinguishing between stage and state experiences of nonduality.

      This journal acknowledges that the awakening process is personal and subjectively experienced and will therefore be open to first person accounts written in a scholarly fashion. Clinical accounts and research articles are of course welcome.