#3489 - Wednesday, April 1, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      #3489 - Wednesday, April 1, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -

      Not Just Wishing

      I cannot help but observe that we often are content with merely wishing and praying for the happiness of others, whereas for our own purposes we do everything we can for our betterment, not just wishing!

      -His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from Becoming Enlightened (Atria)

      More is Never Enough

      It’s easy to think we’re generous and magnanimous people when we’re sitting here reading. We think, "I’m not attached. I’d be happy to share whatever I have with others.” But should somebody ask us, "May I have the food in your cupboards?" We would probably respond, "No! Why should I give it to you?" Or if somebody took our shoes that we left outside the meditation hall, we would be upset. "Who took my shoes? How dare they! I want them back!"

      Fear often lies beneath our excuses. We falsely believe that possessions will bring us security in cyclic existence. In fact, our attachment to them keeps us bound in a prison of dissatisfaction. We constantly crave more and better, yet are never satisfied with what we have.

      –Thubten Chodron, from Tara the Liberator (Snow Lion Publications)

      Where Fear Ends

      Fear is finding fault with the future. If only we could keep in mind how uncertain our future is, then we would never try to predict what could go wrong. Fear ends right there.

      –Ajahn Brahm from Opening the Door of Your Heart (Lothian Books)

      "It seems to me that much of our vital energy is tied up in trying to keep structures in place long past their time of usefulness. Habit, inertia, control, and fear cause us to remain in a fixed position in relation to ourselves and life even when doing so takes a tremendous toll on our health and well being. We could let go, but it doesn't occur to us or we think it would be hard or we're afraid we'll lose something. If we've resisted for long enough, if our energy has been spent slowly on clinging over time, we don't realize that what's wearing us out is not life but our effort to hold back life."

      ~Cheri Huber
      (Zen teacher)

      From her website:
      http://www.cherihuber.com
      posted to Daily Dharma

      The sage never tries to store things up.
      The more he does for others, the more he has.
      The more he gives to others, the greater his abundance.
      The Tao of heaven is pointed but does no harm.
      The Tao of the sage is work without effort.

             - Lao-tzu

      posted to Along The Way

      Love is misunderstood to be an emotion;
      actually, it is a state of awareness,
      a way of being in the world,
      a way of seeing oneself and others.

      -David R. Hawkins

      from
      Bestspirituality.com
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      People may sit till the cushion is worn through,

      By Lu Tung Pin
      (755 - 805)

      English version by T. C. Lai

      People may sit till the cushion is worn through,
      But never quite know the real Truth:
      Let me tell about the ultimate Tao:
      It is here, enshrined within us.

      Poetry Chaikhana Home