#3472 - Sunday, March 15, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2009

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3472, Sunday, March 15, 2009

      To know itself the self must be faced with its opposite - the not-self. Desire leads to experience. Experience leads to discrimination, detachment, self-knowledge - liberation. And what is liberation after all? To know that you are beyond birth and death. By forgetting who you are and imagining yourself a mortal creature, you created so much trouble for yourself that you have to wake up, like from a bad dream.

      Enlightenment is awakening from the dream state of separateness to the reality of One. It means waking up to what you truly are and then being that. Realize and be. Realization is not enough. After Self-realization one must act, do and express what one has realized. This is a whole new way of life -living in reality instead of living out the programmed ideas, beliefs, and impulses of your mind.

      The truth is that you already are what you are seeking. You are looking for God with his eyes. This truth is so simple, shocking and radical that it is easy to miss among one's flurry of seeking. He is here to shake his students awake and not to ask them to dream better. We must wake up to the fact that we are all already living Buddhas. We are the emptiness, the infinite nothing. Let go of all ideas and images in our minds: they come and go and are not even generated by us.

      - Adyashanti

      How can that be - empty space that is full of everything that matters? The mind cannot grasp it fully, as presence exists beyond concepts and even beyond its own forms; and yet, that is what you are. You can experience it with more subtle senses than the physical senses and the mind. Ultimately, you "sense" it by being it. You just are this full empty presence.

      It is this second movement of realization of essence, presence, and fullness of Being that counteracts the belief that since I (as ego) do not exist, therefore nothing exists and all is illusion. It gives a heartfelt sense of meaning and purpose back to this relative life of the body and mind, not as a means of gratification to your idea of yourself, but as a pure expression of the wonder and beauty of this deeper reality. Instead of living a life in service to the ego's wants and needs, you can find yourself fulfilling the deepest purposes of a human life: to serve and express freedom, joy, beauty, peace and love. By itself the realization of no-self can end up dry and lifeless, but when the heart opens wide to the bigger truth of the true Self, life is anything but dry and lifeless.

      - Nirmala, from Beyond No Self

      The understanding of Truth is not a matter of time. Indeed, it is prior to the concept of time. When it takes place, it happens suddenly, almost as a shock of timeless apprehension. It means a sudden cessation of the process of duration, a split-second when the functioning of time itself is suspended and integration takes place with what is prior to relativity -- direct apprehension of the Absolute.