#3460 - Wednesday, March 4, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009
      #3460 - Wednesday, March 4, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The eyes are our most sensitive organ, and when
      you look and look and look into another person's
      eyes you are looking at the most beautiful jewels
      in the universe. And if you look down beyond that
      surface beauty, it's the most beautiful jewel in the
      universe, because that's the universe looking at you.
      We are the eyes of the cosmos. So that in a way,
      when you look deeply into somebody's eyes, you are
      looking deeply into yourself, and the other person is
      looking deeply into the same self, which many-eyed,
      as the mask of Vishnu is many-faced, is looking out
      everywhere, one energy playing myriads of different
      parts.

                                         - Alan Watts
      posted to Along The Way

      "That which transcends both the self and the other,
      that's what my teaching is about.  Let me prove this
      to you:  While everyone is turned this way to hear me,
      out back there may be sparrows chirping, human voices
      calling, or the sighing of the wind.  But, without your
      consciously trying to hear them, each of those sounds
      comes to you clearly recognized and distinguished.

      It's not you doing the hearing, so it's not a matter of
      the self.  But since no one else does your hearing for you,
      you couldn't call it the other!  When you listen this way
      with the Unborn  Buddha-mind -- you transcend whatever
      there is."

      - Bankei

      ---
      gill
      http://allspirit.co.uk/

      Zen and the Art of Archery

      In the case of archery, the hitter and the hit are no longer two opposing objects, but are one reality.... Zen is the "everyday mind," as was proclaimed by Baso (Ma-tsu, died 788); this "everyday mind" is no more than "sleeping when tired, eating when hungry." As soon as we reflect, deliberate, and conceptualize, the original unconsciousness is lost and a thought interferes. We no longer eat while eating, we no longer sleep while sleeping. The arrow is off the string but does not fly straight to the target, nor does the target stand where it is. Calculation which is miscalculation sets in.

      --D.T. Suzuki, in Eugen Herrigel's Zen and the Art of Archery

      A Message from Space

      Everything that happens is the message:
      you read an event and be one and wait,
      like breasting a wave, all the while knowing
      by living, though not knowing how to live.

      Or workers built an antenna -- a dish
      aimed at stars -- and they themselves are its message,
      crawling in and out, being worlds that loom,
      dot-dash, and sirens, and sustaining beams.

      And sometimes no one is calling but we turn up
      eye and ear -- suddenly we fall into
      sound before it begins, the breathing
      so still it waits there under the breath --

      And then the green of leaves calls out, hills
      where they wait or turn, clouds in their frenzied
      stillness unfolding their careful words:
      "Everything counts.  The message is the world."

      ~ William Stafford ~

      (The Way It Is)