#3430 - Sunday, February 1, 2009

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 7:39 PM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3430, Sunday, February 1, 2009

      A Sufi teaching tells of the man who visited a great mystic to find out how to let go of his chains of attachment and his prejudices. Instead of answering him directly, the mystic jumped to his feet and bolted to a nearby pillar, flung his arms around it, grasping the marble surface as he screamed, "Save me from this pillar! Save me from this pillar!"

      The man who had asked the question could not believe what he saw. He thought the mystic was mad. The shouting soon brought a crowd of people. "Why are you doing that?" the man asked. "I came to you to ask a spiritual question because I thought you were wise, but obviously you're crazy. You are holding the pillar, the pillar is not holding you. You can simply let go."

      The mystic let go of the pillar and said to the man, "If you can understand that, you have your answer. Your chains of attachment are not holding you, you are holding them. You can simply let go."

      - Dick Sutphen, posted to The_Now2

      People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh

      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

      - Lao Tzu

      Q: You are telling us to `let go', but it is very difficult.

      P: That's because you have the idea that `letting go' is something that you have to do. To move from one place to another may be difficult if the journey is long and hard. But if you don't have to move at all, how can you say that it is difficult? Just give up the idea that you have to do something or reach somewhere. That's all you have to do.

      from Dialogues with the Master Sri H.W.L. Poonja

      Gangaji video:

      http://www.counsellor.nu/blog/?p=101

      and finally, some comedy from Julia Sweeney (excerpt from "Letting Go of God,")

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIyx687ytk