#3419 - Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2009

      #3419 - Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -

      The mere intellectual recognition of this
      Oneness of Mind is no more sufficient
      to make it real to us than the mere intellectual
      recognition of Australia's existence will suffice
      to make Australia real to us.

      - Paul Brunton, Notebooks
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      "Many spiritual seekers get "stuck" in emptiness, in the absolute, in transcendence. They cling to bliss, or peace, or indifference. When the self-centered motivation for living disappears, many seekers become indifferent. They see the perfection of all existence and find no reason for doing anything, including caring for themselves or others. I call this "taking a false refuge." It is a very subtle egoic trap; it's a fixation in the absolute and all unconscious form of attachment that masquerades as liberation. It can be very difficult to wake someone up from this deceptive fixation because they literally have no motivation to let go of it. Stuck in a form of divine indifference, such people believe they have reached the top of the mountain when actually they are hiding out halfway up its slope. Enlightenment does not mean one should disappear into the realm of transcendence. To be fixated in the absolute is simply the polar opposite of being fixated in the relative. With the dawning of true enlightenment, there is a tremendous birthing of impersonal Love and wisdom that never fixates in any realm of experience. To awaken to the absolute view is profound and transformative, but to awaken from all fixed points of view is the birth of true nonduality. If emptiness cannot dance, it is not true Emptiness. If moonlight does not flood the empty night sky and reflect in every drop of water, on every blade of grass, then you are only looking at your own empty dream. I say, Wake up! Then, your heart will be flooded with a Love that you cannot contain."

      - Adyashanti
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      photo by Dave Mason

      Holding on to beliefs limits our experience of life. That doesn't mean
      that beliefs or ideas or thinking is a problem; the stubborn attitude
      of having to have things be a particular way, grasping on to our
      beliefs and thoughts, all these cause the problems. To put it simply,
      using your belief system this way creates a situation in which you
      choose to be blind instead of being able to see, to be deaf instead of
      being able to hear, to be dead rather than alive, asleep rather than
      awake.

      Only in an open, nonjudgmental space can we acknowledge what we are
      feeling. Only in an open space where we're not all caught up in our
      own version of reality can we see and hear and feel who others really
      are, which allows us to be with them and communicate with them properly.

      We already have everything we need. There is no need for
      self-improvement. All these trips that we lay on ourselves--the
      heavy-duty fearing that we're bad and hoping that we're good, the
      identities that we so dearly cling to, the rage, the jealousy and the
      addictions of all kinds--never touch our basic wealth. They are like
      clouds that temporarily block the sun. But all the time our warmth and
      brilliance are right here. This is who we really are. We are one blink
      of an eye away from being fully awake.

      ~Pema Chodron

      From:
      http://sufimystic.net

      posted to Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      Not-Self

      Central to the Buddha's teaching is the doctrine of anatman: "not-self." This does not deny that the notion of an "I" works in the everyday world. In fact, we need a solid, stable ego to function in society. However, "I" is not real in an ultimate sense. It is a "name": a fictional construct that bears no correspondence to what is really the case. Because of this disjunction all kinds of problems ensue.

      Once our minds have constructed the notion of "I," it becomes our central reference point. We attach to it and identify with it totally. We attempt to advance what appears to be its interests, to defend it against real or apparent threats and menaces. And we look for ego-affirmation at every turn: confirmation that we exist and are valued. The Gordian Knot of preoccupations arising from all this absorbs us exclusively, at times to the point of obsession. This is, however, a narrow and constricted way of being. Though we cannot see it when caught in the convolutions of ego, there is something in us that is larger and deeper: a wholly other way of being.

      --John Snelling, Elements of Buddhism

       WILD COMMUNION

      I have read that,
      There is an East African tribe that say,
      "That, although God is good
      And wishes good for everybody,
      Unfortunately,
      He has a half-witted brother
      Who always interferes with what he does."
      In my half witted days,
      When beliefs and gurus were still big,
      I colluded in torturing scriptures,
      Extracting false confessions
      As to meaning and purpose.
      I walked through Argillen Castle gardens
      Surrounded by Latin named flowers and roses,
      Believing that 'real' "knowing"
      Must be through the Latin

      [Sean Martin – May 2007]
      From T