#3398 - Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      #3398 - Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      Best wishes to all for the new year:

      "May all beings be happy.
      May they be free from suffering.
      May they be at peace."

      The great path has no gates
      Thousands of roads enter it
      When you pass through this gateless gate
      You walk the universe alone

      Mumon

      Spaciousness and Freedom

      The degree of love we manifest determines the degree of spaciousness and freedom we can bring to life's events.

      Imagine taking a very small glass or water and putting into it a teaspoon of salt. Because of the small size of the container, the teaspoon of salt is going to have a big effect on the water. However, if you approach a much larger body of water, such as a lake, and put into it the same teaspoonful of salt, it will not have the same intensity of impact, because of the vastness and openness of the vessel receiving it. Even when the salt remains the same, the spaciousness of the vessel receiving it changes everything.

      We spend a lot of our lives looking for a feeling of safety or protection--we try to alter the amount of salt that comes our way. Ironically, the salt is the very thing that we cannot do anything about, as life changes and offers us repeated ups and downs. Our true work is to create a container so immense that any amount of salt, even a truckload, can come into it without affecting our capacity to receive it.

      -- Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness

      We rarely hear the inward music
      but we're all dancing to it nonetheless

      - Rumi

      quoted in
      Perfect Brilliant Stillness
      David Carse
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      The seeds of His love blossom in every heart.
      The sounds of His flute fill every celebration.
      Everyone thinks that he sings and dances
      But no -
      He is the only one singing.
      He is the only one dancing.

        - Rumi

      posted to Along The Way

      Paul Brunton

      The strange result of going deeper and deeper into the Real is that silence falls more and more as a curtain over his private experience and private thought. The strong urgency of communication which the missionary and the reformer feel, the strong need of expression which the artist and the writer have, trouble him no longer. The inner voice is tight-lipped, or speaks to him alone. He begins to see how much apostolic utterance is merely the overflow of personal emotion, how much artistic achievement is motivated by personal ambition, how much spiritual service is simply another phase of the ego adoring and serving itself. Thomas Aquinas came to such an insight late in life and he, the author of so many books dedicated to the glory of God, could never again write another line. Those who stand on the outside may consider such a severe restraint put upon oneself to be harsh and fanatical, perhaps even antisocial. But it is safe to say that all these critics have never tracked the ego to its secret lair, never had all movement of their individual will stopped by the divine Stillness.

      — Notebooks Category 24: The Peace within You > Chapter 4: Seek the Deeper Stillness > # 193

      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      The Winter of Listening

      No one but me by the fire, my hands burning red in the palms

      While the night wind carries everything away outside.
      All this petty worry while the great cloak of the sky grows dark
      and intense round every living thing.

      What is precious inside us does not care to be known
      by the mind in ways that diminish its presence.
      What we strive for in perfection is not what turns us
      into the lit angel we desire.

      What disturbs and then nourishes has everything we need.
      What we hate in ourselves is what we cannot know
      in ourselves but what is true to the pattern does not need
      to be explained.

      Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born.
      Even with the summer so far off I feel it grown in me
      now and ready to arrive in the world.

      All those years listening to those who had nothing to say.
      All those years forgetting how everything

      has its own voice to make itself heard;
      All those years forgetting how easily you can belong
      to everything simply by listening.

      And the slow difficulty of remembering
      how everything is born from an opposite
      and miraculous otherness.
      Silence and winter has led me to that otherness.

      So let this winter of listening be enough
      for the new life I must call my own.
      ~ David Whyte

      posted to Daily Dharma

      From the book, "The House of Belonging," published by Many Rivers Press