#3394 - Saturday, December 27, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3394, Saturday, December 27, 2008

      Poetry that springs from a devout heart leads kindred hearts to the ever-sweet One... No other divine faculty perhaps has a greater power of transcendence over limits to the illimitable.

      - Sri Chinmoy

      WHAT IS GRACE

      "What is grace?" I asked God.
      And He said,
      "All that happens."

      Then He added, when I looked perplexed,
      "Could not lovers
      say that every moment in their Beloved's arms
      was grace?
      Existence is my arms,
      though I well understand how one can turn
      away from
      me
      until the heart has
      wisdom."

      - Saint John of the Cross, from Love Poems from God, compiled by Daniel Ladinsky.

      God alone is enough.

      Let nothing upset you,
      let nothing startle you.
      All things pass;
      God does not change.
      Patience wins
      all it seeks.
      Whoever has God
      lacks nothing:
      God alone is enough.

      - Saint Teresa of Avila

      ... as a flower blown out by the wind
      goes to rest and cannot be defined
      so the wise man freed from individuality
      goes to rest and cannot be defined.
      gone beyond all images -
      gone beyond the power of words...

      - from Sutra Nipata

      In the desert of the midnight sand

      in the desert of the midnight sand
      I share a glass of Champagne
      with a sea of cascading stars,
      I am wearing prairie dust
      and mountain snow
      under a December moon,
      full
      of grace and self-determination

      fresh with the scent of ripe
      red strawberries
      and green papaya,
      I am absurdly rich with the fabric of the Universe
      draping over my skin,
      moist and hungry, but

      we were eloquent
      in our denial

      we asked nothing of each other,
      you and I,
      I and you,
      we never spoke of the steadfast heart,
      still beating under all the
      flesh we leave behind,
      like pieces of bread,
      trails to an oasis of dreams that pass
      through
      the rhythm and desire of an open mind,

      shaking free
      our souls to roam, blithe spirits
      with cardinal wings, singing of the wind,
      soaring again

      our tongues dripping with perfume,
      intoxicated wanderers, we shine
      elegantly,
      whispers
      in the mirror of self-deception,
      shattering in the empty glass
      we break even now.

      - Anna Ruiz

      The Road To Cold Mountain

      People ask for the road to Cold Mountain,
      but no road reaches Cold Mountain.
      Summer sky-still ice won't melt.
      The sun comes out but gets obscured by mist.
      Imitating me, where does that get you?
      My mind isn't like yours.
      When your mind is like mine
      you can enter here.

      - Hanshan

      God, God, God!

      From the depth of slumber,
      As I ascend the spiral stairway of wakefulness,
      I whisper
      God, God, God!

      Thou art the food and when I break my fast
      Of nightly separation from Thee
      I taste thee and mentally say
      God, God, God!

      No matter where I go, the spotlight of my mind
      Ever keeps turning on Thee;
      And in the battle dim of activity my silent war cry
      Is ever;
      God, God, God!

      When boisterous storms of trials shriek
      And worries howl at me,
      I drown their noises, loudly chanting
      God, God, God!

      When my mind weaves dreams
      With treads of memories,
      Then on that magic cloth I do emboss;
      God, God, God!

      Ever night, in time of deepest sleep,
      My peace dreams and calls; Joy! Joy! Joy!
      And my Joy comes singing evermore;
      God, God, God!

      In waking, eating, working, dreaming, sleeping,
      Serving, meditating, chanting, divinely loving,
      My soul constantly hums, unheard by any;
      God, God, God!

      - Paramahansa Yogananda

      Universal Prayer

      O adorable Lord of mercy and love,
      Salutations and prostrations unto Thee.
      Thou art omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient;
      Thou are Satchidananda, Truth, Knowledge, and Bliss;
      Thou art the Indweller of all beings.

      Grant us an understanding heart,
      Equal vision, balanced mind,
      Faith, devotion, and wisdom.
      Grant us inner spiritual strength
      To resist temptations and to control the mind.
      Free us from egoism, lust, greed, and hatred,
      Fill our hearts with divine virtues.

      Let us behold Thee in all these names and forms,
      Let us serve Thee in all these names and forms,
      Let us ever remember Thee,
      Let us ever sing Thy glories,
      Let Thy name be ever on our lips,
      Let us abide in Thee for ever and ever.