HIGHLIGHTS of Friday May 5

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2000
      MU sends:
      I found this on the hundredmountain.com site. May you find something
      of worth in it, or not, as you will!

      ACCORDING TO THE
      Franciscan priest Richard Rohr,
      spirituality is not for people who are trying to avoid hell; it is for
      people who have been through hell. In many ways, spirituality is about
      what we do with our pain. And the truth is, if we don't transform
      it, we will transmit it.

      -- Al Gustafson
      from "The Outbox," a column
      in The Works magazine, Winter 2000

      TIM G

      "Enlightenment"

      (or)

      "How to become what you already are in one easy step."

      (1) Stop moving away from what you are.

      Q: "How do I do that?"

      A: Simply asking the question is already a movement away. I've got a
      better idea:

      * Let's think about how to achieve an empty mind.
      * Let's do something about realizing we're not the doer.
      * Let's really try to reach the effortless reality.
      * Let's ask a guru how to end all questions.
      * Let's gradually discover timelessness.
      * Let's go to India to discover we are not located somewhere.
      * Let's sit in the full lotus position to realize we're not the body.
      * Let's think hard to realize that we're not the mind.
      * Let's you and I meditate to discover there is no meditator.
      * Let's be proud of our egolessness.
      * Let's ask someone how to realize our independence.
      * Let's work together to realize there's no subject/object.
      * Let's argue the importance of dispassion.
      * Let's gather in groups to ponder our total aloneness.
      * Let's scream and yell about how loveless the world is.
      * Let's be miserable that we're not experiencing bliss.

      Maybe if we bang our heads against the wall hard enough,
      we can become what we already are. Maybe if we strive
      and strain to be what we are, we'll become what we are.

      Gosh, it's so hard to be what I've always been. I have
      to keep trying. If I just try long enough and hard enough,
      I can be what I am. Maybe if I engage in endless sadhanas,
      meditations and prayers, I can become what I already am.
      There's just *got* to be something I can do to be what I
      am! It makes no sense! It's so *hard* to become what I
      am!

      DAN

      The assumptions made by this body-mind, the questions asked,
      and the experiences 'had' are inextricably
      intertwined.

      >I asked you, Dan, to talk to me as if I'm a child. I don't have the
      >AHA! yet. Am I getting close?

      What is being a child before there is the conception
      that one is a child?
      What is innocence before there is the concept that
      there is innocence and knowledge?

      When you say I don't have the AHA, are you talking
      about an image of an AHA that you've formulated?
      What else could it be that you believe you lack, besides
      an image formulated from others' words, your perceptions
      of others' experiences, your imagination,
      or your own past experience?

      You will never be any closer than you are
      this moment. Just forget the idea that
      there is such a thing as being distant
      from It.

      Love,
      Dan

      More DAN

      oneness is not instead of twoness
      but includes twoness as twoness.
      Peace is not static rest, but
      involvement and movement.

      There is a perspective where
      affirmation actually *is* negation
      and negation and affirmation *is*
      reconciliation. Each leads into
      and requires the other. But to
      see this requires a no-position position
      that is, to see from and as no-thingness.
      Otherwise, one is caught up in affirming,
      denying, or reconciling and isn't able
      to "see/be the Whole".

      The concept of the positive, negative,
      and reconciling (thesis, antithesis,
      and higher level synthesis) is basic
      to Qabala as well.
      The "divine name" YHVH has three letters
      forming a four-lettered word.
      This word suggests a universal triadic
      pattern able to repeat in infinite
      subpatterns, generating life with/within/upon
      life, awareness with/within/upon awareness.

      In Qabala, the no-thing emanates a point from
      which a polarity is manifested
      and subsequently reconciled.
      Spiritual awareness is two-way:
      to go out and return.
      The return takes the polarity
      back to the root singularity
      then to no-thingness.

      It's intriguing that any
      of the "three forces"
      you mention imply
      the other two.
      So positive means negative
      means reconciling means
      positive ... etc.

      What is left out of this
      trinity: positive, negative,
      reconciling - is no-thingness.
      No-thingness contains it all,
      begins it all, and ends
      it all.

      All yours,
      Love,
      Dan

      It is only the ego I that is composed of thought. Thought is a tiny
      fraction of who you really are.

      neo

      THE JOURNEY

      Tim : < (...) This suggests to me that "realization"
      > > lies not in any particular destination, but in the
      > > journey. The journey is the goal. >
      >
      > Are you suggesting that realization is a process, a
      > journey? Whose journey?
      > Who or what is it that journeys?
      >
      > Just curious to know.
      >
      > Miguel-Angel

      Tim, Miguel-Angel,

      In responding to Mary Salequi today, I was reminded that
      what we never separated from is "all this", but that
      "all this" is as complicated as it is simple.

      Some of us know that there is no one among us who IS to
      be journeying, but until we make the journey we can not see
      that.

      That last sentence can produce one of three basic reactions:

      1)- Get so confused that you don't even bother looking at it.
      2)- Look at it as a key to how to complete the journey
      3)- Understand it enough that you don't even bother looking at it.

      1. is before journey
      2. is in journey
      3. is "after journey".

      Nothing actually changes from 1 to 3, it just looks different.
      The purpose is the opportunity to make the journey.
      You do or you don't.

      Manchine

      ~ When does the journey begin?
      When end?
      That first instant of individual awareness
      birthed unique points of view
      Began the journey of a droplet of consciousness
      splashed from the boundless ocean of being
      Rising into air

      It seemed that stories began and evolved
      charactered with other droplets
      dramas and pastorals, tragedies and farces.
      At apex the scene changes
      the grave pull of origin begining to be felt
      And falling back becomes another story
      of understanding, seeking, striving for
      Inevitable reunion.

      xan

      MARCIA and XAN

      Marcia: We can only hear the higher emotional
      center and the higher intellectual center when the
      lower centers are balanced, or, to put it another
      way, when we are awake in all three of them.
      That makes the conscious connection which
      allows for reception from the higher centers.

      ~ Gosh, Marcia, whoever told you that?
      Can't believe everything you hear.

      M:> Grace is another word for higher emotional center.

      ~ Not in my life it ain't.
      Grace is not emotion.
      Period.

      > Have you never fallen to your knees in tears because
      you *received* emotionally?

      ~ I have had passionately emotional responses
      to that which is entirely beyond emotion.

      It would be a mistake to project the understanding
      of systems of human consciousness and experience
      onto what is entirely systemless.

      xan

      LARRY

      The story about Gertrude Stein I read somewhere. She was on her death
      bed; a group of friends were gathered around; everyone knew it was
      near
      the end. Gertrude sighed and said "What is the answer?" Everyone
      froze,
      they didn't know what to say. So she laughed and said. "In that case,
      what is the question?"

      GREG

      >This is the first I've heard of Buddhayana. Please try to explain
      the
      >term. I am very interested.

      I did a quick Altavista search, came up with this. 375 hits. Seems
      to be
      a syncretic form. According to the Buddhayana Centre Netherlands, it
      means
      "The Vehicle of the Buddha." Here's an excerpt from their web page:

      http://www.buddhayana.nl/buddhism.html#buddhayana

      Now that Buddhism has gained more public awareness
      during the last years it is possible for those who are
      interested to study the different Buddhist schools and
      traditions. For an outsider the many streams and outwardly
      diverse forms in which Buddhism manifests itself can be
      confusing. Some can no longer see the Dhamma through
      the streams! They may be deterred because they were
      looking for unity in a world where sects and divisions are
      rampant. Mislead by the emphasis placed on a particular
      sect, such as "my school is better or higher than your
      school", they can miss the value of the Dhamma. The
      Buddha teaches different gates to Enlightenment (bodhi)
      and every one of them is equally valuable, otherwise the
      Buddha would not have taught them. We could call this the
      Vehicle of the Buddha (Buddhayana). Important
      characteristics in the Teachings are Loving Kindness
      (metta), Compassion (karuna) and Wisdom (panna).
      These are central in every school of Buddhism.

      LARRY & PHIL

      (after a flurry of posts debating does causation exist)

      & Phil wrote:
      & The trouble with concepts of causation is that If there is one
      cause,
      & then everything causes everything else. This is the Buddha's
      & co-origination teaching it seems. -------------------------------

      Larry wrote
      & I'm afraid the Buddha would give you a stern look here Phil. His
      idea of
      & dependent origination was that one thing lead to another in a linear
      & circle. This to him was good news because it meant there was a
      & possibility of stopping causation/suffering by reversing the flow.

      Phil:
      But what would *cause* the Buddha to give me a stern look? Then what
      would *cause the cause* of the stern look? I think we were discussing
      the
      notion of causation in the context of naive linear causes. In other
      words, naively it seems: "I am causing this e-mail to be written."
      But
      then again *you* are causing it to be written. Further, the e-mail is
      causing the events preceding it. The whole of prehistory and history
      leads to this e-mail. And then perhaps back again to the beginning

      But...
      (repeat above three times as needed...)

      OOOOOOH!!!

      I have a request. Does anyone have an audio tape of Bart Simpson
      saying
      "Don't have a COW, man" They used to use that so much, it got tired,
      and then they retired it and now I never hear it anymore. I've been
      taping Simpsons shows for years now, looking for it. I heard a lovely
      story told by Thich Nhat Hanh about the Buddha.

      It seems the Buddha was teaching a small group of monks in the woods
      one
      day when a man rushed up to them lamenting "Oh my, I am the most
      unhappy
      man... I used to be so rich. I had three wonderful cows, who gave me
      their milk and it was so lovely, and now I am so unhappy because my
      cows
      have run away. Have you seen my cows?" the Buddha told the farmer
      that
      they had not seen the cows and suggested he look elsewhere. When the
      distraught farmer had left, the Buddha turned to his monks and said
      "Now
      aren't you glad you have no cows?" I want so much to make a tape with
      that story followed by Bart saying...

      (let go of it Mark, let go... be calm. Don't have a tape, man....)

      whew,
      Mark

      Skye, as i see it (my 2 + 2 cents worth, the 2 additonal cents being
      my
      hughe *me*) nobody can be anybody else than what he is and that *you*
      of
      course includes what you have said here below. If the way *you are*
      includes
      saving the world.......... many tried before but nobody succeeded yet,
      but
      who knows :) In my very very important opinion, letting go does not
      mean at
      all that you sit back and do nothing. this entirely depends on how
      your
      genes are put together (or not). letting go, as i understand it,
      simply
      means that you do not try to be someone else than what you are. I
      think it
      is that simple (or complex). End of story:) next one please.

      Love,
      Hans

      ROGER sends the url and many quotes from the "Notebooks" of Paul
      Brunton
      some samples:

      "If causality were not a practical working truth we should plant grass
      seed
      in the hope of getting grapefruit."

      "We must get our minds quite clear about this position. It is all a
      matter
      of standpoint. From a practical standpoint the world is composed of
      many
      entities affecting and inter-reacting with each other in a causal
      manner.
      >From the ultimate standpoint the world is Mind-essence, and this
      being the
      only existence cannot change its nature and come into a second birth;
      it
      cannot fall into the duality of cause and effect. But the Mind's
      finite
      productions, ideas, can do so."

      "Therefore it is admitted that causality fully reigns in the realm of
      ordinary experience. But when we seek to understand Mind in itself we
      seek
      to transcend
      ordinary experience. Mind in itself is not subject to causality."

      Larson Publications http://www.lightlink.com/larson
      GREG & ROGER

      G:I'm not sure what Brunton means by cause. Interpretations like
      Bruntons
      about all experience coming through the mind are an intermediary
      teaching
      to help people see that external events are not self-sufficient or
      independent. What these interpretations cannot account for is that
      the
      mind itself arises in experience.

      R:>It seems to me what we are really talking about here is
      experiential. Does
      >one experience oneself as a volitional being, a doer involved with
      >causality? Or is one free? If one is NOT free, then no amount of
      >philosophical agrumentation seems capable of removing the illusion
      that one
      >is a doer. As long as one has a body/brain and while the senses are
      turned
      >outward, the causal world is there. This can't be denied?

      G: This is the crux of the matter!! Who cares what theory A says
      about
      causality versus theory B? If one is not free and wants freedom, then
      the
      world really does seem to be Out There, and perhaps the mind seems
      really
      to be In Here. There is no ultimate value to philosophy of any kind.
      For
      one wanting freedom, if it were possible, one would gladly trade any
      philosophy whatsoever for freedom! And from the perspective of
      freedom, no
      philosophy is believed any longer. But for a few people, however,
      philosophical argumentation is effective as a thorn to remove a thorn.
      It
      is a part of formal advaita vedanta, and Madhyamika Buddhism, perhaps
      Dzogchen as well. The aspirants seem to feel a thorn, associated with
      certain beliefs about the world. They respect argumentation and
      respect
      their teacher, so when they are shown how their belief makes no sense,
      it
      falls away. For most people, however, this philosophy stuff ain't no
      help
      at all!

      HARSHA

      Tim Gerchmez wrote:

      > I've seen Buddhists who sneer at Vedanta, Advaitins who sneer at
      > Buddhism, Buddhists who sneer at different sects of Buddhism...

      So true, even in nondual traditions. We can see it in the
      conversations here
      as well sometimes. Blatant sneering, sophisticated sneering, subtle
      sneering, and the ultimate sneering through claims of non sneering,
      etc.

      Since sneering at others appears to be common to most spiritual
      traditions,
      and seems to be a natural tendency of humans, perhaps enlightenment
      can be
      simply defined as a permanent state of continuous sneering at others.
      Instead of Sahaja Samadhi, we then have the wonderful equivalent of
      the
      Sahaja Sneer. The beauty of this approach is that it is truly nondual
      and
      not something that we need to attain. We are already there! (:--).

      With love and smiles
      Harsha

      TIM (answers I forget who..but it sounds like neo)

      > Thought requires energy. If the energy is not given to thought it
      > just coalesces back into being. It is not so much a matter of
      > stopping thought but not giving it the energy to arise.
      >
      > Does this help?

      Yes, that seems *much* better. As Jean Klein puts it, "Thought is
      reabsorbed into the Self." Thought has no say *whatsoever* in this
      process -- and that's what so many have difficulty grasping.

      We are conditioned from birth to believe that in order to achieve
      something, we have to do something to get it. "Realization" goes
      against everything we have been taught, because there is nothing to
      achieve and nothing to do (not to mention, nobody to do it). We are
      what we are always. In simply surrendering, "relaxing into clear
      seeing" as Arjuna puts it, the mind is transcended. None of it is
      done by us, it is a process of Grace or the Self. The best we can do
      is to make sure not to interfere, or to stop moving away from who we
      really are.

      I've read so many posts here... I've been here since January, 1999.
      So many... saying, "There MUST be something I can do. Some subtle
      effort, some assistance." No. *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING*. Once this is
      accepted, some miracles may start to happen.

      MARK sends "a poem for nothing at all"

      Walking through the burning oil deserts
      skin peeling black and crispy
      no use to anyone