#3378 - Thursday, December 11, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2008
      #3378 - Thursday, December 11, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights
      - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights

      Walt Whitman: Living the Paradox of Nonduality

      In Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, he begins Song of Myself:

      I celebrate myself,
      And what I assume you shall assume,
      For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

      I loafe and invite my soul,
      I lean and loafe at my ease … observing a spear of summer grass.

      These lines describe the paradox of nonduality and how to live.

      The paradox is that while we are the same — “every atom belonging to to me as good belongs to you.”

      — everything is distinct: “observing a spear of summer grass.”

      And how to live through the paradox? Whitman says "celebrate … lean and loafe."

      “I … invite my soul,” Whitman says. The soul is the paradox. It is who he is. Paradox is “myself.” “I celebrate myself.”