Tuesday/May 2

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2000
      HANS DEUNHOUWER

      I couldn't resist reading this little book of Tony Parsons
      ("The open secret") yesterday. Wonderful book (94 pages
      only !) Did you read it ?

      He writes : (Free traduction from Dutch) quote One day i
      was walking in the park and my mind was fully preoccupied
      by my expectations about the future that could or could not
      happen. I choose to let go of those projections and to
      simply become aware of my walking. I noticed that the
      footstep was there and gone and would never be repeated
      again. While this was happening, a transition happened in
      me from the awareness of my walking to my experiencing of
      it. What happened then is beyond any description. It seemed
      as if a complete silence and presence came down on
      everything. Everything became timeless and i did not exist
      anymore. I disappeared and there was no longer anybody
      looking. end quote

      Nothing of what we all expect that should happen. Nothing !
      It simply happened. And he is not talking at all about ego
      death and all that stuff. He said he never did anything
      special. And there are other examples as well of people to
      whom it happened who were not even interested in what we
      are talking about. It just happened. It shows the utter
      futility of even talking about it. It looks more and more
      of just an occupation of the mind, bringing about exactly
      the opposite of what we are talking about or of what we
      would like to achieve.

      And that shows that there's only one thing to do : forget
      about the whole thing or at least understand that it has
      nothing to do with reality. The whole thing simply exists
      but in our minds.

      This doesn't mean by the way that i will be off list :)

      I will continue to add some more crap to the already
      existing pile as long as it may take.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      a little insightful exposé about growth and
      decay:

      insight of growth
      insight of decay
      growth of insight
      growth of decay
      decay of insight
      decay of growth
      insight of the growth of insight
      insight of the growth of decay
      insight of the decay of growth
      growth of the insight of decay... etc.

      Yes, insight in the growth of the decay of... Nah! insight
      growing insight ad infinitum... That's why the trees are
      growing sky-high through heaven's roof :) For those who can
      see the sweet, ripe mangos hanging, ignore that little
      gardener with the large white beard and enjoy.

      good appetite!

      DAN BERKOW

      I love to look at the ocean, it is a reflection of the
      Ocean that can never be seen.

      ADI DA (contributed by Judi Rhodes)

      Understanding is the recognition of seeking as the active
      principle of one's life. It recnognizes the effects of
      seeking, its qualities and sources, the areas of its
      operation, and the methods of its functioning. It sees that
      seeking is the substance and the entire meaning of every
      moment of one's ordinary life.

      But radical understanding, since it is radically aware of
      seeking, is not seeking. Radical understanding is prior to
      and apart from every kind of seeking and the entire drama
      of ordinary life. Therefore, it not only sees all life as
      seeking, but Enjoys itself as fundamental Reality Prior to
      all seeking. It Realizes no-seeking, non-avoidance,
      non-separation, unqualified relatedness, and unqualified
      Consciousness.

      ***** Adi Da, from the Knee of Listening

      GREG GOODE

      First there's presence. Then there's absence. Then absence
      of absence.

      SKYE CHAMBERS

      if you have no illnesses fasting is very good for the body.
      I did many 14 day fasts in my 20's, always at health spas,
      under the guidance of doctors. The first five days are the
      most difficult. The release of toxins never made me high
      rather, depressingly nauseous. Because the body's habit of
      releasing gastric juices doesn't stop immediately and
      stomach biles are nauseating on an empty belly, still
      triggering them at the mere thought of food, for the first
      few days. Also the body reverts everything in the colon
      back into fuel. All motions come to a screeching holt from
      day one. Health spas do colonics to avoid reabsorbing
      toxins. Not necessary just feel much better faster.

      For me The high always started around day 5 when the body
      starts seriously converting body fat into glucose for the
      brain and you go into a state of *ketosis* search that word
      on the net. The body will feel tired regardless of your
      mental reasons for fasting. In its wisdom it makes you
      conserve energy by slowing you down while it goes into deep
      cleansing stages. All the best glo, by the 14th day the
      body is as high as a kite (so too therefore are you)
      because its so blissfully clean, perfectly balanced and in
      a still, deep deep state of meditation. The benefits and
      miracle of fasting fills books.

      ANDREW MACNAB

      A diamond shines though it is transparent as glass.

      ***

      The question 'Am I real' does have a definite and
      unconditional answer but I can't honestly say that the
      answer is only 'yes'. 'No' is fine too. Contrary to
      expectation both are true without conflict, they are not
      two different answers, though they seem so.

      ***

      today's zippy strip is kind of NDSish
      http://www.sfgate.com/sf/zippy/

      I am ...is

      the Way,
      the Truth,
      the Life,
      the Beginning,
      the End,
      the Good,
      the Bad,
      the happy,
      the sad,
      the joy,
      the suffering,
      the witness,
      the observer,
      the scorned,
      the lover...

      --Michael

      MARK OTTER

      There is a lovely column in the May Shambala Sun, by Rachel
      Naomi Remen, called Meaning & Beauty. Here are the first
      few paragraphs:

      "Few of us pursue meaning deliberately. Most of us focus
      our attention elsewhere, accumulating knowledge in the
      belief that we will be able to trade it for a good and
      fulfilling life. Knowledge enables us to build a box to put
      our life in, but the box is itself empty. Only meaning can
      fill it up.

      Over the years, it has seemed to me that there is a deep
      connection between meaning and beauty. Neither is a
      function of the intellect; both can enrich a life. Meaning
      feeds and strengthens the soul in the same way that beauty
      does, and perhaps we develop an eye for meaning in the same
      way that we develop an eye for beauty.

      Recently, I found myself in someone's kitchen listening to
      a discussion between an art teacher and some friends about
      the nature of "aesthetic perception." As the only
      non-artist there I was mystified by this idea, and when the
      others drifted away I asked the woman who had first used
      this odd phrase what it meant. She laughed. "It's a way of
      seeing," she said, and told me how a friend of hers teaches
      it to a class of seven-year-olds.

      He begins by giving each child some water in a clear glass.
      Then he tells the children that something is going to
      happen in their glass of water. They must watch what
      happens carefully, but they cannot talk about it right
      away. First they will spend a few minutes just looking and
      afterwards everyone will have the chance to tell the whole
      class what they saw. Then he walks through the classroom
      with a bottle of red ink and puts a single drop of red ink
      into each child's glass.

      The children are entranced, and the discussion that follows
      is very lively. Some children have seen an angel in their
      glass; others have seen the wind, or a flower, or the face
      of their grandma. They are delighted with these differences
      and listen to each other with rapt attention. The
      excitement builds and then the teacher presents them with
      the real lesson for the day. "Well," he says, "What is all
      this about? Angels and grandmas and the wind? After all, it
      is only a drop of red ink in a glass of water... isn't it?"
      But of course, in certain important ways it is not.

      We all live far more meaningful lives than we know.
      Uncovering this meaning does not require us to live life
      differently but to see life differently. Finding meaning in
      the events of your life is not very different than seeing
      the angels in a glass of water. It requires a sort of
      double vision; an openness to living simultaneously in the
      world of ink and water, and the world of mystery and the
      soul."

      Well, there is more to the column, but that says what I
      want to say, so I will stop there. I suggest that meaning
      is not something in the world that our mind sees and
      appreciates, but that it is something our heart brings to
      the world to give it life. We ARE the breath of life that
      God breathed into the clay to create mankind.
      Meaningfulness is absent from the world until we supply
      it.So, neo, don't be stuck in the birth canal, push on
      through.

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      Lately I find that I am everywhere or nowhere. I'll be
      doing something on the computer, and realize I do not know
      where I am, or how much time has passed, what day it is,
      even whether it's evening or morning. All thought is seen
      to be regurgitated memory. It seems that "why think?" is
      the predominant question, and there genuinely seems to be
      no reason, no justification to think at all. Why bother
      endlessly regurgitating the past?

      SARLO

      dropping some beliefs is a very good step and will get you
      out of what seemed to me to be a fairly inflexible
      position. If it feels uncomfortable for a while, that's
      natural and okay. This whole idea of meaninglessness can
      easily be circumvented if there is seen to be NO NEED for
      meaning, which is after all no more than a conceptual
      construct. No meaning no meaninglessness, clears the way
      for just being.

      JOE

      My mind and gut feel alot of anger. But, so what.
      Ultimately, it surely IS all thought. Just thought. Not
      even your thought - Not even joe's thought. (And, once one
      is aware of the anger, it almost feels good, eh? This
      awareness stuff is great...)

      I have probably imbibed millions of words in the attempt to
      understand how to find the balls to try to be silent
      inside. Then, after 25years, my gut, I guess, said: Shut
      Up! And things got quieter and quieter inside for about
      five consecutive months. Those five months made the
      previous 25 years seem like a kiddie primer. Then - yes, I
      took some long walks and "let" myself think some of this
      stuff out... Whoa, calling Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard, Dr.
      Fine!!! It has been pretty quiet and pretty interesting,
      since... says the mind...

      It strikes me as inconcievable that Ramana and Nisargadatta
      are somehow in error.

      The Silence works. No question about it. Though, of course,
      it may take millions of words read, spoken, and written
      before that's a possibility...

      In the middle of what was perhaps the quietest day of my
      quietest period (according to the mind's deep analysis of
      such things), I was sitting quietly on a cushion in an
      upstairs room. It was snowing out. There was not even a
      thought that it was so incredibly quiet. Then, suddenly,
      the mind said: HEY, wouldn't it be GREAT to sit like this,
      outside, in the spring, in an Adirondack Chair? I wonder if
      I have enough skill to actually construct an Adirondack
      Chair... Hell, I might even wake up in a chair I made
      myself!

      Yup, that's the same mind that tells me it can't be done.
      Take care, Doc. Have a beer, or a toke and take a quiet
      walk...

      XAN

      I spent 6 months with Papaji in India and am gratefully
      spending the rest of my life with him in my whole being.

      ***

      I do not represent anyone but myself, but I do have a sense
      of being a part of Ramana's lineage as an intimate heartful
      and always deepening connection.

      ***

      For me, by not trying to do anything about the discomfort
      of meaningless there came a subtle shift to the complete
      comfort and safety of "not knowing". It's a giving up ...
      surrender.
      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com