#3338 - Saturday, November 1, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3338, Saturday, November 1, 2008

      Forget the known, but remember that you are the knower. Don't be all the time immersed in your experiences. Remember that you are beyond the experiencer, ever unborn and deathless. In remembering it, the quality of pure knowledge will emerge, the light of unconditional awareness.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That, posted to The_Now2

      Inexplicably it comes. When you least expect it. For a reason you can never know. One moment you are striving, figuring, imagining, and then, in the blink of an eye, it all disappears. The struggle disappears. The striving disappears. The person disappears. The world disappears. Everything disappears, and the person is like a pinpoint of light, just receding until it disappears. And there's nobody there to witness it. The person is gone. Only, only awareness remains. Nothing else. No one to be aware. Nothing to be aware of. Only that remains itself. Then it's understood, finally and simply.

      Then everything - all the struggle, all the striving, all the thinking, all the figuring, all the surrendering, all the letting go, all the grabbing hold of, all the praying, all the begging, all the cursing, too - was just a distraction. And only then is it seen that the person was, is, and ever will be no more than a thought. With a single thought, the person seems to reemerge. With more thoughts, the world seems to reemerge right out of nothing. But now you know.

      The incarnation is nothing more than a thought. A thousand incarnations are but a thousand thoughts. And this amazing miracle of a mirage we call the world reappears as it was before, but now you know. That's why you usually have a good laugh, because you realize that all your struggles were made up. You conjured them up out of nothing - with a thought that was linked to another thought, that was then believed, that linked to another thought that was then believed. But never could it have been true, not for a second could it have actually existed. Not ever could you have actually suffered for a reason that was true - only through an imagination, good, bad, indifferent. The intricacies of spiritual philosophy and theologies are just a thought within Emptiness.

      And so at times we talk, and I pretend to take your struggles seriously, just as I pretended to take my own seriously. You may pretend to take your own struggles seriously from time to time, and although we pretend, we really shouldn't forget that we are pretending, that we are making up the content of our experience; we are making up the little dramas of our lives. We are making up whether we need to hold on or surrender or figure it out or pray to God or be purified or have karma cleansed - it's all a thought. We just collude in this ridiculous charade of an illusion pretending that it's real, only to reveal that it's not. There is no karma. There is nothing really to purify. There's no problem. There is only what you create and believe to be so. And if you like it that way, have at it!

      But we cannot continue this absolute farce indefinitely. We cannot continue to pretend this game we play, indefinitely. It's impossible. Everything comes back to nothing.

      And then it's a bit harder to hold a straight face consistently for the rest of your life.

      - Adyashanti, transcribed from a talk in Pacific Grove, CA, June 9, 2006.

      I can't really make out if we're at war or at peace.

      I imagine the deceased assembled at some solemn occasion,
      merely sharing hand-picked novelties of grace and experience
      with the sundown; yet as I sidle up really close to a sunbeam
      I notice they are auctioning off the dusk.

      It would be hard to say if it was autumn or winter, in a black
      hole in the sky I suddenly see the tussle of the seasons,
      so soft and yet so inconsequential - not as when the seasons
      are engaged in an allegorical interplay and finally
      one overcomes the other in accordance with the will of a biased
      producer in an amphitheatre. No, they only want to reduce
      perishable mankind into stillness. That is why they allow
      some indeterminacy to remain in the cosmos - and that too has beauty.

      However, if I'm unable to contain the limits of life
      clearly within one definition, then it's a catastrophe!
      at such a thought I split heaven and earth
      on either side of me and watch as the cloud
      approaches cautiously, wanting to stroke the haycock;
      the hay too wants to say something, but since each word
      would be an assault, it draws itself tighter together ?
      can peace be maintained under such conditions?

      Either the war never really ended, or else peace is over.

      - Alokeranjan Dasgupta, translated from Bengali by the Poet

      "It is finished," he said. You could hear him say it,
      the words almost a whisper, then not even that,
      but an echo so faint it seemed no longer to come
      from him, but from elsewhere. This was the moment,
      his final moment. "It is finished," he said into a vastness
      that led to an even greater vastness, and yet all of it
      within him. He contained it all. That was the miracle,
      to be both large and small in the same instant, to be
      like us, but more so, then finally to give up the ghost,
      which is what happened. And from the storm that swirled
      in his wake a formal nakedness took shape, the truth
      of disguise and the mask of belief were joined forever.

      - Mark Strand, number six from "Poem After the Seven Last Words,"