#3334 - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2008
      #3334 - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Orva Schrock sends a Rob Brezsny poem. The poem if from Brezsny's, Pronoia Is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World Is Conspiring to Shower You with Blessings:

      Orva himself is author of Grandpa's Notebooks: The Evolution of an Amish Soul:

      THIS IS A PERFECT MOMENT
      by Rob Brezsny

      This is a perfect moment.
      It's a perfect moment for many reasons,
      but especially because you and I are waking up
      from our sleepwalking, thumb-sucking, dumb-clucking collusion
      with the masters of illusion and destruction.

      Thanks to them,
      from whom the painful blessings flow,
      we are waking up.

      Their wars and tortures,
      their crimes against nature,
      extinctions of species
      and brand new diseases.

      Their spying and lying
      in the name of the father,
      sterilizing seeds and
      trademarking water.

      Molestations of God,
      celebrations of shame,
      stealing our dreams and
      changing our names.

      Their cunning commercials
      and blood-sucking hustles,
      their endless rehearsals
      for the end of the world.

      Thanks to them,
      from whom the awful teachings flow,
      we are waking up.

      *

      Their painful blessings are cracking open
      more and more gashes
      in the shrunken and crippled mass hallucination
      that is mistakenly called "reality."
      And through the fractures,
      ripe eternity is flooding in;
      news of the soul's true home is pouring in;
      our allies from the other side of the veil
      are swarming in,
      inspiring us to become smarter and wilder
      and kinder and trickier.

      We are waking up.

      As heaven and earth come together,
      as the dreamtime and daytime merge,
      we register the shockingly exhilarating fact
      that we are in charge
      of creating a brand new world.
      Not in some distant time or faraway place,
      but right here and right now.

      *

      As we stand on this brink,
      as we dance on this verge,
      we can't let the ruling fools of the dying world
      sustain their curses.
      We have to rise up
      and fight their insane logic;
      defy, resist, and prevent their tragic magic;
      erupt with our sacred rage and supercharge it.

      But overthrowing the living dead is not enough.
      Protesting the well-dressed monsters is not enough.
      We can't afford to be consumed with our anger;
      we can't be obsessed and possessed by their danger.
      Our mysterious bodies crave delight and fertility.
      Our boisterous imaginations demand fresh tastes of infinity.

      In the new world we're gestating,
      we need to be suffused
      with lusty compassion and ecstatic duty,
      ingenious love and insurrectionary beauty.
      We've got to be teeming with radical curiosity and reverent pranks,
      voracious listening and ferocious thanks.

      *

      So I'm curious, my fellow creators.
      Since you and I are in charge of making a new world
      -- not just breaking down the old world --
      where do we begin?
      What stories do we want at the heart of our experiments?
      What questions will be our oracles?

      Here's what I say:
      In the New World we're creating,
      We will ridicule the cult of doom and gloom.
      We will embrace the cause of zoom and boom.
      We will laugh at the stupidity of evil and hate;
      we'll summon the brilliance to praise and create.

      No matter how upside-down it all may appear,
      we will have no fear
      because we know this big secret:
      Pronoia is real.
      All of creation is conspiring to shower us with blessings.
      Life is crazily in love with us --
      brazenly and innocently in love with us.

      The universe always gives us
      exactly what we need,
      exactly when we need it.

      *

      The winds and the tides are on our side,
      forever and ever, amen.
      The fire and the rain are scheming to steal our impossible pain.
      The sun and the moon and the stars
      remember our real names,
      and our ancestors pray for us while we're dreaming.

      We have guardian angels and thousands of teachers,
      provocateurs with designs to unleash us,
      helpers and saviors we can't even imagine,
      brothers and sisters who want us to blossom.

      Thanks to them,
      from whom the blissful blessings flow,
      we are waking up.

      The roads they pave us,
      the places they save us,
      the tomatoes they grow us,
      the rivers they flow us.

      Their mysterious stories,
      and morning glories,
      their loaves and fishes,
      granting our wishes.

      The songs they sing us,
      the gifts they bring us,
      the secrets they show us,
      above and below us.

      Thanks to them,
      from whom the blissful blessings flow,
      we are waking up.

      *

      Postscript:

      I'm allergic to dogma.
      I thrive on the riddles.
      Any idea I believe, I reserve the right to disbelieve as well.
      But more than any other vision I've ever tested,
      pronoia describes the way the world actually is.
      It's wetter than water,
      stronger than death,
      and truer than the news.
      It smells like cedar smoke in the autumn rain,
      and if you close your eyes right now,
      you can feel it shimmering
      like the aurora borealis
      in your organs and muscles.
      Its song is your blood's song.

      Some people argue that life is strife
      and suffering is normal.
      Others swear we're born sinful
      and only heaven can provide us with the peace
      that passes understanding.
      But pronoia says that being alive
      on the rough green and brown earth
      is the highest honor and privilege.
      It's an invitation to work wonders
      and perform miracles
      that aren't possible in any nirvana, promised land, or afterlife.

      I'm not exaggerating or indulging in poetic metaphor
      when I tell you that we are already living in paradise.
      Visualize it if you dare.
      The sweet stuff that quenches all of our longing
      is not far away in some other time and place.
      It's right here and right now.
      Poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning knew the truth:
      "Earth's crammed with heaven."

      ~ ~ ~

      From Pronoia Is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World Is Conspiring to Shower You with Blessings, by Rob Brezsny: