#3324 - Sunday, October 19, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3324, Sunday, October 19, 2008

      Even in a stiff gale,
      Even with cloudless skies,
      Many fathoms down, it's dark,
      Sea depths are always calm.
      Whales know this,
      They visit the surface, but live deep.

      Pete, posted to NondualitySalon

      Lost in the forest...

      Lost in the forest, I broke off a dark twig
      and lifted its whisper to my thirsty lips:
      maybe it was the voice of the rain crying,
      a cracked bell, or a torn heart.

      Something from far off it seemed
      deep and secret to me, hidden by the earth,
      a shout muffled by huge autumns,
      by the moist half-open darkness of the leaves.

      Wakening from the dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig
      sang under my tongue, its drifting fragrance
      climbed up through my conscious mind

      as if suddenly the roots I had left behind
      cried out to me, the land I had lost with my childhood -
      and I stopped, wounded by the wandering scent.

      Pablo Neruda

      When storm-clouds rumble in the sky and
      June showers come down,
      The moist east wind comes marching over the heath
      to blow its bagpipes amongst the bamboos.
      The crowds of flowers come out of a sudden,
      from nobody knows where,
      and dance upon the grass in wild glee.

      Mother, I really think the flowers go to school underground.
      They do their lessons with doors shut,
      and if they want to come out to play before it is time,
      their master makes them stand in a corner.
      When the rains come they have their holidays.

      Branches clash together in the forest,
      and the leaves rustle in the wild wind,
      the thunder-clouds clap their giant hands and
      the flower children rush out i dresses of
      pink, yellow and white.

      Do you know, mother, their home is in the sky,
      where the stars are.
      Haven't you seen how eager they are to get there?
      Don't you know why they are in such a hurry?
      Of course, I can guess to whom they raise their arms,
      they have their mother as I have my own.

      - Rabindranath Tagore, from The Crescent Moon

      Surrendering

      If you persist in trying to attain what is never attained (It is Tao's gift),
      If you persist in making effort to obtain what effort cannot get,
      If you persist in reasoning about what cannot be understood,
      You will be destroyed by the very thing you seek.

      To know when to stop,
      To know when you can get no further by your own action,
      This is the right beginning!

      - Chuang Tzu, translated by T.Merton

      Letting go of thoughts
      The mind remains undetermined in the great Void.
      Here the highest knowledge is unbounded.
      That which gives things their thusness cannot be delimited by things.
      So when we speak of 'limits', we remain confined to limited things.
      The limit of the unlimited is called 'fullness.'
      The limitlessness of the limited is called 'emptiness.'
      Tao is the source of both.
      But it is itself neither fullness nor emptiness.

      - Chuang Tzu, translated by T.Merton

      Many spiritual seekers get "stuck" in emptiness, in the absolute, in transcendence. They cling to bliss, or peace, or indifference. When the self-centered motivation for living disappears, many seekers become indifferent. They see the perfection of all existence and find no reason for doing anything, including caring for themselves or others. I call this "taking a false refuge." It is a very subtle egoic trap; it's a fixation in the absolute and all unconscious form of attachment that masquerades as liberation. It can be very difficult to wake someone up from this deceptive fixation because they literally have no motivation to let go of it. Stuck in a form of divine indifference, such people believe they have reached the top of the mountain when actually they are hiding out halfway up its slope. Enlightenment does not mean one should disappear into the realm of transcendence. To be fixated in the absolute is simply the polar opposite of being fixated in the relative. With the dawning of true enlightenment, there is a tremendous birthing of impersonal Love and wisdom that never fixates in any realm of experience. To awaken to the absolute view is profound and transformative, but to awaken from all fixed points of view is the birth of true nonduality. If emptiness cannot dance, it is not true Emptiness. If moonlight does not flood the empty night sky and reflect in every drop of water, on every blade of grass, then you are only looking at your own empty dream. I say, Wake up! Then, your heart will be flooded with a Love that you cannot contain.

      - Adyashanti, posted to The_Now2