#3314 - Thursday, October 9, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3314, Thursday, October 9, 2008

      The first awakening is to have few desires. To refrain from widely coveting the objects of the five sense desires is called "few desires."

      The Buddha said, "Monks, know that people who have many desires intensely seek for fame and gain; therefore they suffer a great deal. Those who have few desires do not seek for fame and gain and are free from them, so they are without such troubles. Having few desires is itself worthwhile. It is even more so, as it creates various merits. Those who have few desires need not flatter to gain others' favor. Those who have few desires are not pulled by their sense organs. They have a serene mind and do not worry, because they are satisfied with what they have and do not have a sense of lack. Those who have few desires experience nirvana. This is called "Few Desires."

      From "The Daily Zen Journal," May 2006, posted to DailyDharma

      We love variety, the play of pain and pleasure, We are fascinated by contrasts. For this we need the opposites and their apparent separation. We enjoy them for a time and then get tired and crave for the peace and silence of pure being.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to ANetofJewels.

      All the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      Ram Tzu knows this:

      It's a lie
      It's all a lie.
      The Buddha, Christ, Mohammed
      Moses, Lao Tzu,
      All were consummate liars.
      Blasphemer explain yourself!

      The Truth cannot be known
      In the way you think of knowledge.
      It does not make sense.
      It functions in a realm
      Closed to the mind.

      The first utterance about Truth
      Is the first step
      Down the path of deceit.

      In fact-

      These very words are
      But another turd
      On the dung heap
      Of what passes for Truth.

      - Ram Tzu, posted to AlongTheWay

      Love, joy, and peace cannot flourish until you have freed yourself from mind dominance.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      There comes a time in one's evolution when every touch of beauty moves the heart to tears, and it is at that time that the Beloved of heaven is brought to earth.

      - From the Teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan, selected & arranged by Hazrat Pir Vilayat Khan, posted to SufiMystic

      I may be clapping my hands,
      but I don't belong to a crowd of clappers.
      I'm neither this nor that.

      I'm not part of a group that loves flute music,
      or one that loves gambling,
      or one that loves drinking wine.

      Those who live in time,
      descended from Adam,
      made of earth and water,
      I'm not part of that.

      Don't listen to what I say,
      as though these words came from an inside
      and went to an outside.

      Your faces are very beautiful,
      but they are wooden cages.

      You'd better run from me.
      My words are fire.

      I have nothing to do with being famous,
      or making grand judgments,
      or feeling full of shame.

      I borrow nothing.
      I don't want anything from anybody.

      I flow through all human beings.
      Love is my only companion.

      When Union happens, my speech
      goes inward, toward Shams.

      At that meeting,
      all the secrets of language
      will no longer be secret.

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 1615, version by Coleman Barks, posted to Sunlight