#3283 - Monday, September 8, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2008

      #3283 - Monday, September 8, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      A poem from Monk Ryokan ( 良寛 )

          世の中は

          何にたとへん

          山彦の

          こたふる聲の

          空しきがごと

          Yo no naka wa

          nani ni tatoen

          yamabiko no

          kotauru koe no

          munashiki ga goto

          Our life in this world -

          to what shall I compare it?

          Its like an echo

          resounding through the mountains

          and off into the empty sky.

      Translation by Steven D. Carter:

      posted to Wisdom-l

      Half Empty of What?

      If I am holding a cup of water and I ask you, "Is this cup empty?" you will say, "No, it is full of water." But if I pour out the water and ask you again, you may say, "Yes, it is empty." But, empty of what? . . . My cup is empty of water, but it is not empty of air. To be empty is to be empty of something. . . . When Avalokita [Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion] says that the five skandhas are equally empty, to help him be precise we must ask, "Mr. Avalokita, empty of what?"

      The five skandhas, which may be translated into English as five heaps, or five aggregates, are the five elements that comprise a human being. . . . In fact, these are really five rivers flowing together in us: the river of form, which means our body, the river of feelings, the river of perceptions, the river of mental formations, and the river of consciousness. They are always flowing in us. . . .

      Avalokita looked deeply into the five skandhas . . . and he discovered that none of them can be by itself alone. . . . Form is empty of a separate self, but it is full of everything in the cosmos. The same is true with feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and consciousness.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of Understanding

      Awake awhile.

      It does not have to be
      Forever,
      Right now.

      One step upon the Sky's soft skirt
      Would be enough.

      Hafiz,
      Awake awhile.
      Just one True moment of Love
      Will last for days.

      Rest all your elaborate plans and tactics
      For Knowing Him,
      For they are all just frozen spring buds
      Far,
      So far from Summer's Divine Gold.

      Awake, my dear.
      Be kind to your sleeping heart.
      Take it out into the vast fields of Light
      And let it breathe.

      Say,
      "Love,
      Give me back my wings.
      Lift me,
      Lift me nearer."

      Say to the sun and moon,
      Say to our dear Friend,

      "I will take You up now, Beloved,
      On that wonderful Dance You promised."

      ~ Hafiz ~

      (I Heard God Laughing - Renderings of Hafiz -- Daniel Ladinsky)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.htm

      "I think the key is intent. If a seeker's intent is to become the Truth at all costs, then it will
      happen. All the reading and practices we involve ourselves with are useful only to the extent
      that they build intent. If a burning desire for enlightenment is not present, no amount of
      meditation and practices will help. If it is present, no meditation or practices are necessary.
      Paradoxically, this burning desire for Truth can't be a reaction against a life we object to and
      are dissatisfied with. It must be in conjunction with an immense gratitude for what we have
      been given, with a "surrender" that asks for no divine rescue or special mercies. When a
      person who wants Truth more than life falls in love with what is, it happens."

      Bart Marshall, TAT, September 2008

      The September issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm .

      This Month's Contents: Ultimate Between-ness (Part 2) by Bart Marshall | A Poem by Art Ticknor | The Ties That Bind by Bob Fergeson | Words of Wisdom | Video - Robert Bly Reads Antonio Machado | Humor