Highlights for Sunday April 23rd

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Tim Gerschmez, Looking at Clouds

      When I look at a cloud, I am the screen onto which the image of the cloud
      is projected. I am the unchanging background on which this changing image
      appears. There is nobody who sees, and nothing external to me. There is
      only a projection, and the screen. The projection appears upon me
      (consciousness).

      Could it not be said that the blank cinema screen is in fact the images
      projected upon it, as long as such images persist? Therefore, I am the
      cloud as well as the screen upon which its image is projected.

      Ultimately, I am also the power (or light) by which the image of the cloud
      appears projected onto Myself. This I cannot grasp, however - how I can be
      both the changeless background upon which the cloud appears, and the
      changeless power which projects the cloud. Either the analogy falls apart
      at this point, or the perspective simply remains that of the changeless
      screen. There is no way to tell.

      Either way, I remain what I am.

      Tim
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dave;

      I reach out to touch it, pulling on millions of lines of invisible fabric
      The hand outstreched expecting to feel a touch in response...
      the same one that I see in my dreams
      and here like there, that which I am
      floats suspended in this magical web

      James Bean has some archived audio;

      Greetings Everyone:

      I just found out that the Wisdom Radio Network has archived a few more
      editions of my radio program, Spiritual Awakening. To hear them go to:
      http://www.wisdomradio.com then click onto "archives," then click
      "Spiritual Awakening." If you have the G2 or G7 Real Player, you're ready
      to go.

      Peace,

      James

      · (SA) "Swami Ji Maharaj, Saint of Agra, India"
      · (SA) "The Lost Books of the Bible, Part One"
      · (SA) "The Lost Books of the Bible, Part Two"
      · (SA) "Developing Your Own Meditation Practice"
      · (SA) "Eclectic Words and Music (No. 1)"
      · (SA) "The Yoga of Love - Becoming A Lover of the Beloved"

      Marcia, 4

      Four is an interesting number esoterically.

      Every manifestation is the result of three forces; active, passive, and
      reconciling. Four is the manifestation.

      What usually happens is the reconciling force and the first
      force get confused and the first force ends up being mistaken
      for the manifestation and the reconciling force does not
      get seen. In Gestalt psychology, for example, the total
      manifestation is due to the inherent patterning factor whereas
      really the inherent patterning factor is only the third force
      and not the whole cigar. :-)

      Marcia

      Judi, Harsha, Jerry, 3 days in the closet

      Judi:
      FOR THREE DAYS

      Not many teachers in this world can give you as much
      enlightenment in one year as sitting all alone for
      three days in your closet would do.

      What if you have to go to the bathroom? How big is the closet we are talking about
      here?

      Harsha

      What are other voluntary alternatives to the spiritual
      teacher? I think of danger (as Joe described -- welcome, Joe
      -- or planned car crashes, as Gurdjieff supposedly set for
      himself, or intentionally falling out of a tree, as Rajneesh
      did as a youth, or BASE jumping), and marriage. Getting
      married while BASE jumping would be a quick road to
      enlightenment.

      When you think about the three: closet, danger, marriage --
      you realize that any spiritual teacher worth his or her
      salt, requires all three, in one form or another. Don't
      they?

      Jerry

      Jerry, spiritual books

      I was thinking that the books that I have valued most are
      not the pretty and expensive ones found in Chapters, nor are
      they the same ones found in used bookstores. They're they
      ones that fall apart at the seams, the ones printed in India
      or photocopied and bound by a print shop or self-published.

      Specifically, I'm thinking of Nisargadatta's I Am That,
      which is hardly a slick and pretty book; or Da Free John's
      Basket of Tolerance, which was photocopied and coil bound in
      a print shop; or Richard Oddo's Sharing of the Heart, which
      was self-published and written in long hand in a naive style
      (I'll send some selections); or Avadhuta Gita or Ashatvakra
      Gita, which were inexpensively printed and bound in India.

      When it comes to starting a publishing house, why not think
      mainly about publishing good and unusual works and eschew
      the fanciness? There are probably enough people who want
      mainly substance simply set forth, to support such a
      publishing house. Just as people spend as much to see a low
      budget film as to see a big budget one, I feel they will do
      the same with books. The approach could certainly work in
      the spiritual field.

      Jerry

      Larry and Dan, Butterfly Tea

      Your conventional cup of tea is both eternalistic tea and nihilistic tea
      in that it is regarded as a thing in itself and essentially meaningless.
      Middle-way tea, on the other hand, is seen to be not a thing in itself
      and meaning rich. Can we skate on that or is it not enough to go on?

      Larry

      Butterfly tea is made
      by drinking one sip
      at a time.
      Thus, the cup opens by itself.
      Millions of butterflies
      arise from each
      drop of steam.

      When there is nothing to
      skate on,
      Butterflies find the path
      of least resistance.

      Ahhh!

      -- Dan --

      Mary, Mark, Kristi, Love

      It's Easter Sunday. Beautiful blue skies and lovely pines trees. The
      air is good and as I sit out on my deck I hear the tinging of wind
      chimes. Peaceful.

      Then some thoughts: I love these trees. Then, you sure don't love them
      when the wind is blowing and you think they'll come crashing down on
      your roof. You sure don't love being among them when there is a fire.
      So I see conditions on that love.

      I continue thinking of what Byron Katie said once. She said she didn't
      know what love was. When her husband asked her if she loved him, she
      thought a moment, looked inside herself, couldn't work up a feeling,
      and said no, not at this moment. Then she noticed that when he did
      something for her, a feeling would come over her and she would say,
      "Sweetheart, I think I love you now."
      She says we "love" when we get something that we want from someone.
      Conditional love I guess. Yet I see her as an expression of love.

      And I started thinking about unconditional love, how it is not in my
      life and about how many posts are signed "with love" or "in love" or
      "love" plus the name of the person.

      The Course says there can be no Love in this world but only a
      reflection of this love.

      So I ask all of you who care to answer. What is your definition of
      love? How does it manifest in your life? I know what it feels like to
      be angry, to be fearful, to be peaceful (sometimes). I can say I love
      my husband, my children, my friends. and God. (can I really say I love
      God?) But is that the kind of love you
      all mean when you sign with "love" at the end of your posts?

      I've heard the expression "be love". Is that the same as unconditional
      love? My guess is that it is. When you have no conditions on anyone,
      is that when love just
      expresses itself? If that is the case, then I guess I have not
      experienced Love.

      I asked my husband just now to define love. He said "caring,
      concern."

      And everything we say about love, is it true? or just what we believe
      or want it to be. I ask because on another board people say they
      believe in love and that it is the only truth.

      And that Observer, The Silent Witness, does he/it/she love?

      If no one wants to pick up this thread because perhaps it has been
      discussed ad nauseum before, it's okay. I had a nice opportunity to
      express my thoughts on this Easter Sunday.

      Mary

      P.S. I have entertained the possibility that love is undefinable.

      Hi Mary,

      I love your post. (huh?)

      Easter Sunday was cloudy and brisk here, but still a lovely day. When I
      look at a cloudy day and feel the desire to say "Ahhhhhh....", that
      feels like love to me. When I'm stopped in my tracks by the sight of a
      baby's eyes and just have to grin, that feels right. I've been
      listening to Dissidenten's version of "A Love Supreme". I like the way
      that feels too. What makes a grin appear spontaneously? (but then it
      could just as easily be tears.) I don't know what it is, but I
      recognize it when it's present. Stopping to feel the present brings it
      up. I guess there may be conditions, but does that make it ersatz? I
      don't think so. I am continually mentioning the word "practice". I
      don't feel the sweet pleasure of a loving feeling continuously, but
      when it wells up, I enjoy noticing it, and it seems to me that doing so
      makes it rise up more often. So if it's conditional, so what? Enjoy it
      and relax into it. If someday it stays, wonderful. If it doesn't stay,
      it'll come back. I trust it.

      Scott Peck defines love as the desire for the spiritual growth of
      another. I wish this growth for everyone, and when I get angry at some
      idiot that just did something which offfends me, it helps to remember
      this desire for his/her growth. (and this makes me grow...) When I
      sign my posts "Love, Mark", I mean simply that I want the best for you,
      and believe that the best for you is also the best for me. I'd like to
      see all actions motivated by this love, but I can only take charge of my
      own actions, so out of love for you, and for me, I try to notice my
      motivations and transform those that don't fit. It seems fundamentally
      selfish to me, but that's okay too, because it's all Self. This kind of
      thinking seems to make sense when I'm feeling a sense of love. I see
      I'm circling around it, so perhaps it is indefinable. (But who cares,
      ain't it grand?)

      Love, Mark
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Mary:

      you wrote:

      When you have no conditions on anyone,
      >is that when love just
      >expresses itself?

      I had this experience once......with a person......a street person,
      alcoholic, addict,...somehow I "saw" him beyond all that stuff........and
      Knew him....and Loved him.......I had NO expectations of him and heard his
      stories as metaphor for something more centrally true about him than the
      details of his very sordid life......I can remember holding him and feeling
      a gratitude so huge it brought me to tears......I thought only thank you,
      thank you, God, for having allowed me to love this way. I delighted in him
      and basked in his presence and wanted/expected nothing from him. I have felt
      this way only with my children when they were infants...and this love, which
      had as its object this man, was greater still, if such a thing can be
      quantified. I saw many things differently in that state of mind. I was
      homeless then and time had little or no meaning. It was definitely a time of
      living the notion that all that you need will come.....and that to want what
      you need, instead of needing what you want, is profoundly freeing......a
      time of absolute in the moment presence....and then that perception passed,
      and with it the quality of the experience changed, almost overnight.

      I will never forget that sense, and, truth be told, I am haunted by the loss
      of it...and still hunt secretly for it in my days and in my nights.

      Love, Kristi

      (the "love" in love, kristi, to me signifies a holding place for that
      experience, and the offering of it, if only in rememberance, to all who live
      and love and breathe and struggle and share.)