#3269 - Monday, August 25, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 12:35 PM
      #3269 - Monday, August 25, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      This issue begins with a new writing by Vicki Woodyard. Then announcement of a new scholarly work on anthropology and nondualism. Finally, an invitation to listen to Dr. Stewart Bitkoff Tuesday night (9PM EST)on Blog Radio. Stewart is author of 'A Commuter's Guide to Enlightenment.'

      Awareness Is The Last Frontier

      Awareness is the last frontier.  The undiscovered country is our own
      consciousness.  No, we don’t know it.  We only “think” we do.  I am
      talking about the pristine purity of silence....the vast reaches of our
      own inner reality.  It is high time that we staked a claim to it.

      Our native tongue is silence.  There is no cleverness in silence, nor
      any separation.  In silence, all is well and all is one.  What makes it
      so difficult for us to access our very own silence?  There are no gates
      or bars to our inner selves.  Or are there?

      There are no games played in our inner silence.  No rules to follow or
      to bend.  No corporate ladder to climb.  You can walk straight into
      silence and leave the world behind.  Just try it.

      We have yet to discover our own power and peace.  They lie within
      awareness and that is the last place that we want to go.  Awareness is
      not on the ego’s list of vacation spots.  The ego will go to church or a
      country club.  It will never go to awareness.  Just think about it.
      Awareness is death to the ego.  Why would it seek out its own demise?

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.vickiwoodyard.com (Click on the "Audio" section too!)

      Berghahn Books

      ANTHROPOLOGY AS ETHICS
      Nondualism and the Conduct of Sacrifice
      T. M. S. Evens

      416 pages, bibliog., index
      ISBN 978-1-84545-224-7 Hb $95.00/£47.50 Published (Spring 2008)
      Buy now and get 15% off listed price
      Anthropology as Ethics is concerned with rethinking anthropology by rethinking the nature of reality. It develops the ontological implications of a defining thesis of the Manchester School: that all social orders exhibit basically conflicting underlying principles. Drawing especially on Continental social thought, including Wittgenstein, Merleau-Ponty, Levinas, Dumont, Bourdieu and others, and on pre-modern sources such as the Hebrew bible, the Nuer, the Dinka, and the Azande, the book mounts a radical study of the ontology of self and other in relation to dualism and nondualism. It demonstrates how the self-other dichotomy disguises fundamental ambiguity or nondualism, thus obscuring the essentially ethical, dilemmatic, and sacrificial nature of all social life. It also proposes a reason other than dualist, nihilist, and instrumental, one in which logic is seen as both inimical to and continuous with value. Without embracing absolutism, the book makes ambiguity and paradox the foundation of an ethical response to the pervasive anti-foundationalism of much postmodern thought.

      T. M. S. (Terry) Evens is Professor of Anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received his Ph.D. at the University of Manchester in 1971. He has held visiting appointments at the University of Chicago, the Ecoles des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, the University of Calcutta, and Asmara University, Eritrea. He is author of Two Kinds of Rationality: Kibbutz Democracy and Generational Conflict (1995), and co-editor of the collections, Transcendence in Society: Case Studies (1990) and The Manchester School: Practice and Ethnographic Praxis in Anthropology (2006). Drawn especially to theory and phenomenology, he has sought from the beginnings of his professional career to isolate, identify, and critically explore philosophical underpinnings of empirical anthropology.

      Dr. Stewart Bitkoff, who has a very nice touch with words and Sufi-based teachings, writes:

      My next live blog radio show appearance is Tuesday Night, 8/26/08, 9 pm EST

      Topic: 'Got Traffic? The Divinity of the Daily Commute'

      Show: Everyday Divinity    Host: Idara E. Bassey     Station: Sedona Talk Radio

      Tune in and tell your friends. Among different topics I will be discussing: every day spirituality, commuting, my book: 'A Commuter's Guide to Enlightenment,' and experiences along the Sufi Path. I hope you enjoy the show; if you miss it, it will be available one hour after being aired on the site.

      Thanks.
      Dr. Stewart Bitkoff