#3247 - Monday, August 4, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      #3247 - Monday, August 4, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      A Sufi teaching tells of the man who visited a great mystic to find out how to let go of his chains of attachment and his prejudices. Instead of answering him directly, the mystic jumped to his feet and bolted to a nearby pillar, flung his arms around it, grasping the marble surface as he screamed, "Save me from this pillar! Save me from this pillar!"
      The man who had asked the question could not believe what he saw. He thought the mystic was mad. The shouting soon brought a crowd of people. "Why are you doing that?" the man asked. "I came to you to ask a spiritual question because I thought you were wise, but obviously you're crazy. You are holding the pillar, the pillar is not holding you. You can simply let go."

      The mystic let go of the pillar and said to the man, "If you can understand that, you have your answer. Your chains of attachment are not holding you, you are holding them. You can simply let go."
      - Dick Sutphen
      "The Oracle Within"

      Those whose consciousness is unified abandon all attachment to the results of action and attain supreme peace. But those whose desires are fragmented, who are selfishly attached to the results of their work, are bound in everything they do.
      - The Bhagavad Gita

      Renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting that they pass away.
      - Aitken Roshi

      Just think of the trees: they let the birds perch and fly, with no intention to call them when they come and no longing for their return when they fly away. If people's hearts can be like the trees, they will not be off the Way.
      - Langya

      posted to TheNow_2

      Alan Larus photos

      Amongst the many gnostics that ibn Arabi spoke of was a woman called Fatimha:

      "She lived in Seville. When I met her, she was in her nineties. Looking at her in a purely superficial way, one might have thought she was a simpleton, to which she would have replied that the one who knows not who he is the real simpleton. "She used to say 'Of those who come to see me, I admire none more than ibn 'Arabi'. When asked the reason for this, she replied 'The rest of you come with part of yourselves, leaving the other part of you occupied with your other concerns, while Ibn 'Arabi is a consolation to me, for he comes with his entire self. When he rises up, it is with his entire self, and when he sits down it is with his entire self, leaving nothing of himself elsewhere. This is how it should be on the Way"

      * It is He who is revealed in every face, sought in every sign, gazed upon by every eye, worshipped in every object of worship, and pursued in the unseen and the visible. Not a single one of His creatures can fail to find Him in its primordial and original nature. The movement which is the movement of the universe is the movement of love.

      - Muhyiddin ibn al'Arabi

      posted by Tom McFerran

      "When all the false self-identifications are thrown away, what remains is all-embracing love."

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Alan Larus photos

      http://ferryfee.com/Bluesky/Summer_night.html