#3235 - Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2008
      #3235 - Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
      Without looking through the window, you may see the
      ways of heaven.
      The further you go, the less you know.

      Thus the sage knows without traveling;
      He sees without looking;
      He works without doing.

                                     ~ Lao-tzu

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      Tao Te Ching
      Translation by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English
      Vintage Books Edition, September 1972

      posted to AlongTheWay

      "Doesn't suffering season a person?"

      "It's not the suffering that matters,
      but a person's disposition,
      for suffering can sweeten or embitter
      just as the potter's fire
      can char the clay or season it."

      ~ Anthony de Mello, S.J.

          ~   ~   ~

      "What is the secret of your serenity?"

      Said the Master, "Wholehearted cooperation
      with the inevitable."

      ~ Anthony de Mello, S.J.

      posted to TheNow_2

      "The purpose of all Dharma is contained in one point.

      The purpose of all Dharma is contained in the one principle of controlling ego-clinging.  Thus, Dharma practice or meditation on mind training or other such practices must diminish ego-clinging.  Whatever Dharma you do that doesn't counteract ego-clinging accomplishes nothing.  Since this criterion determines whether Dharma becomes Dharma or not, it is said that it is the steel-yard balance which weighs the devotee."

      From the booklet: "A Direct Path to Enlightenment," by 'Jam-mGon Kong-sPrul, published by Kagyu Kunkhyab Chuling, Vancouver, British Columbia, is a commentary on the Mahayana Teaching of The Seven Points of Mind Training by Atisha.

      posted to DailyDharma

      From That Silence

      ".... Because it is your life, not my life. It is your life of sorrow, of tragedy, of confusion, guilt, reward, punishment. All that is your life. If you are serious you have tried to untangle all this. You have read some book, or followed a teacher, or listened to somebody, but the problem remains. These problems will exist as long as the human mind moves within the field of the activity of the self; that activity of the self must create more and more and more problems. When you observe, when you become extraordinarily aware of this activity of the self, then the mind becomes extraordinarily quiet, sane, healthy, holy. And from that silence our life in everyday activity is transformed."

      ~ J. Krishnamurti
      posted to DailyDharma

      Wide Open Spaces

      We can talk about “oneness” until the cows come home. But how do we actually separate ourselves from others? How? The pride out of which anger is born is what separates us. And the solution is a practice in which we experience this separating emotion as a definite bodily state. When we do, A Bigger Container is created.

      What is created, what grows, is the amount of life I can hold without it upsetting me, dominating me. At first this space is quite restricted, then it’s a bit bigger, and then it’s bigger still. It need never cease to grow. And the enlightened state is that enormous and compassionate space. But as long as we live we find there is a limit to our container’s size and it is at that point that we must practice. And how do we know where this cut-off point is? We are at that point when we feel any degree of upset, of anger. It’s no mystery at all. And the strength of our practice is how big that container gets. . . . This practice of making A Bigger Container is essentially spiritual because it is essentially nothing at all. A Bigger Container isn’t a thing; awareness is not a thing. . . .

      ~ Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen