#3234 - Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2008
      #3234 - Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      In this issue a review and excerpts from Paradise Found: Recognizing and Living As the Infinite Love That You Are, by Charlie Hayes. Great summer nondual reading, full of spirit and life. I liked it a lot.

      Download Paradise Found or purchase hard copy: http://stores.lulu.com/charliehayes36

      Charlie Hayes' website: http://www.theeternalstate.org

      Paradise Found, by Charlie Hayes, is one of those "last books you'll ever need to read" books. It’s like one of those non-existent Mackinaw peaches fromOregon that’s only available for two weeks out of the year. Paradise Found possesses that longed-for juice that pours out with every bite. It has the joy and summer of the peach. And it has the hard pit to roll around in your mouth.

      Sometimes the pit splits open (on its own for whatever reason) and inside is a seed that’s smooth and cool. Paradise Found possesses all layers of the peach: the outer skin, the fruit, the pit, the seed.

      THE SKIN OF THE PEACH:

      The Table of Contents is like the outer layer. There are 109 short chapters. Here is a selection of them:

      3. What Is Unreal? What Is Real?.............................................19

      7. Is This All There Is? .............................................................31

      8. The Addict You Believe You Are ........................................32

      14. What IS “Is”? ......................................................................43

      46. The 'Aha' Is Always Here and Now ................................. 113

      55. Who Cares?? .................................................................... 131

      56. There Are No "Accurate Pointers"................................... 133

      60. “Teachings” Are A Distraction ........................................ 139

      70. How Do I DO the Investigation? ......................................163

      73. What Is The Source of SOURCE?....................................171

      75. How To Stay In Awareness - I AM? ................................174

      77. There Are No Teachers Of This........................................177

      91. What Is Seeking Who?......................................................203

      95. Thanks for The No-Bullshit Approach .............................213

      THE FRUIT ITSELF:

      [Bold portions were added by the Highlights editor.]

      Questioner: How Do I DO the Investigation?

      Charlie Hayes: Who Asks That Question?

      Quite a few have asked, essentially, “HOW do I DO this

      investigation? Do I just ask who am I over and over? I have

      tried that, it seems to reveal a sense of space and openness but

      soon I am right back into the pain of being me, and I am still

      suffering. This goes on in spite of years of commitment to being

      earnest and taking up practices and meditations etc. I am tired

      of flopping back into being a little complaining me and I want

      to end this search for real. What to do? How to see that the I is a

      phantom as is pointed out by these Nondual teachings?”

      The "pat answer" in Nonduality circles is to ask, WHO wants to

      know? That is a great pointer for some but for many it just

      increases the frustration and is often dismissed as

      "fundamentalism” or "Advaita-speak" and is certainly NOT

      helpful in those cases. It's almost kind of condescending...

      I can share that the two things that helped the most for me were

      the seeing that this that I am is not a concept or experience but a

      silent open background of space-like awareness that is always

      here before anything else and that I am that awareness. As Bob

      Adamson and John Wheeler reminded me, we START from

      that simple undeniable fact that, undeniably, I exist, I AM.

      That led to a clear seeing that I AM what I was seeking. Then

      there came a dropping back into self-identification, selfcentered

      (selfish) thoughts, and the space of simply being

      appeared to be lost again. That was painful! Then the need for a

      real down and dirty investigation challenging the mind and its

      false concepts and assumptions became evident as the suffering

      … painful emotions and unwanted intense experiences of

      feeling sad, contracted, angry, frustrated etc. happened again

      and again.

      Something I found very helpful was listening to Stephen

      Wingate talk about his own experience of this, and how our

      mutual friend John Wheeler had guided him to make the

      investigation personal and real in his own experience. In

      Stephen’s case, as he shares, he began asking himself new

      questions, along the lines of what exactly IS “Stephen?” He was

      looking into his own experience of being alive instead of

      applying a “one size fits all” generic pointer. This did the trick

      for Stephen (you can hear him discuss in detail how specifically

      this happened on his excellent audio CDs.)

      So I started looking in these more direct personal ways, with

      support from many friends, including Bob, John, John Greven,

      Stephen, and Annette Nibley. It is GREAT to have friends like

      these along the seeking path!

      I started looking more deeply at what or who IS this “Charlie”

      person, what is it that I really believe I am? Several things,

      identities if you like, came up, and were tested for “truth.” What

      I found is that the mind makes endless assertions about what I

      am and when I fail to seek evidence for its assertions I leave the

      false unchallenged … and that leaves the cause of suffering in

      place and it continues to create havoc for this boy’s life!

      For example: I am “Charles in charge.” I am “the boss.” I am

      "the actor, the doer, the decider.” I am “me” and you are “not

      me.” "I am me and the way things work around here is we do

      things MY way.” It’s “My way or the highway.” And so on.

      The I am as an identity that Charlie is, is bossy, arrogant and

      knows everything about everything. “I Am what I think and I

      am right” was another one. A know-it-all. But all these fail the

      truth test. I am always finding out I don't know about

      something. There is always a clear failure to "make life go my

      way" ... over and over! Wanting things to go my way is as

      effective as telling the weather not to rain. Or trying to herd

      cats.

      But that was all a sort of “array of branches” and the root still

      had not been gotten down to. So the looking into this space of

      being I show up in for some root cause went on for a while.

      Then it became clear that “I am the one who is looking for what

      I am." “I must find out what I am.” This arises as a sense of

      frustration as there seems to be a power to think, I can choose

      what thoughts to focus my attention on, however, while I CAN

      choose a created thought like "Who Am I?" what I have NO

      control over is that power that causes thinking itself to arise! It

      happens! Thoughts happen, whether I want them to or not! In

      other words I can select from a menu of thoughts so to say,

      BUT I cannot choose to have NO thoughts come up. And I saw

      that experience follows concept, that a thought of me that thinks

      leads to the idea that I can choose and decide and have it my

      way, and the frustration of trying to practice choice and having

      my choices be thwarted is really painful. The mind intends for

      example to never get upset again because I know that when I

      get upset it hurts, and it’s unhealthy etc. BUT the next time I am

      triggered by some happening that is not in accordance with

      what I intend, bang! I am in a tantrum, like a bratty kid, cussing

      at myself for (again) overeating and getting fat, or (again)

      dropping something and berating myself for being clumsy, etc.

      So what this showed me is that for me, who I am is “a stupid

      idiot who STILL can’t do anything right. Despite all these years

      of experience and practice, I am still at the effect of some

      mechanism that runs me and makes me still believe 'I am me'

      and that 'me' is an old, clumsy, stupid, angry person."

      So I came back to what Stephen was pointing out and looked

      into this more deeply than ever: What IS Charlie? What actually

      IS Charles? What IS "this person, here?" This "me" is subtler

      than a thought, finer than an experience, less evident than the

      surface stuff described above. What IS Charles?

      Finally the seeing arose, “I don’t know!”

      Abiding as this “I don’t Know” brought the mind to a full stop

      and there was and is what was sought … Perfect Peace,

      Absolute Freedom. Timeless Choiceless Awareness, like a

      blank clear transparent screen on which apparent choices and

      chooser arise together; on which the apparent opposites of I and

      other arise together. THAT, I AM. THAT, THOU ART.

      This is inquiry: the key as far as I can tell is the "making it real

      for me.” Making it about my own experience instead of

      someone else’s, because no Guru or Friend can be alive for me,

      no one else experiences life as I experience it, so it really HAD

      to become directly and personally MY looking. The guidance

      from friends like John and Stephen that were complete in their

      search was invaluable, yet in the final analysis it was up to me.

      And so, the final truth is clear and self-evident: I AM That I

      AM. Being, Choiceless Awareness ... Just That and Nothing

      Else.

      Finding your own path into this inquiry may take some new and

      fresh personal ways to look into yourself for yourself. This site

      and my books are here to support that looking for yourself, by

      yourself, as are the friends listed on my website links page.

      I love you all as my own Self, and of course I wish you the very

      best. Thanks for taking time to read this. I hope it helps, if you

      are still suffering.

      THE PIT OR STONE:

      Hayes writes:

      Who chooses? That is what needs to be examined. So, NO I do

      not agree. There is NO ego! It's a ghost! You scare yourself

      telling yourself ghost stories where YOU are the main ghost

      character, the star in your drama. It's crap.

      Don't get me in the middle between you and that writer, whom I

      do not know. If you keep roaming the Internet and writing to

      other teachers I will NOT reply to you again. As a wise man

      said, if you are wanting to hit water digging a well, dig in just

      one place. Stay with one teaching. If you like that expression

      what difference will my assessment make? The real question

      which you keep avoiding asking yourself is Who Am I”? I say

      refuse all thoughts except who am I? If you can, just do it. If not

      keep looking in all the wrong places, in thoughts and outside

      yourself. But get real with it, man!

      THE SEED:

      The Seed is either stumbled upon or not and no quotation can be selected. However, you may have a better chance of stumbling upon split-open, seed-revealing peach stones via this book than with most others of its kind.

      CONCLUSION:

      Richly supplemental are many delicious quotations of teachers influential to Charlie Hayes. They include John Wheeler, Stephen Wingate, Leo Hartong, John Greven, Robin Dale, John Astin, Nisargadatta Maharaj. Bob Adamson is often mentioned.

      Paradise Found is the perfect summer nonduality book, all year long, for generations to come.

      ~ ~ ~

      Download Paradise Found (only $11) or purchase hard copy: http://stores.lulu.com/charliehayes36

      Charlie Hayes' website: http://www.theeternalstate.org

      Paradise Found will soon be available on Amazon.