#3227 - Monday, July 14, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2008

      #3227 - Monday, July 14, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      All ClearSightTV's Videos

      This site has some excellent hour long interviews with Western Nondual teachers including Mooji, Alice Gardner, Neelam, Nirmla, John Sherman, John Taylor, Joan Tolifson, and Jeannie Zandi, who is Mark Otter's friend.
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      Once Ikkyu, clothed in a his customary shabby robe and tattered hat
      went to beg at the door of of a wealthy family's home.
      He was roughly treated, ordered round to a back door and given scraps of
      food to eat.
      The following day Ikkyu appeared at a feast sponsored by the family
      decked in the brocade robes of an abbot. A large tray of food was
      brought and placed before him, Ikkyu removed the robe and placed it in
      front of the tray. The host asked "What are you doing". Ikkyu
      answered "The food belongs to the robe, not to me". Then he excused
      himself and left the table.
      posted by Tom McFerran

      It is possible that the next Buddha
      will not take the form of an individual.
      The next Buddha may take the form of a
      community -- a community practicing
      understanding and loving kindness, a
      community practicing mindful living.
      This may be the most important thing
      we can do for the survival of the
      Earth.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh

      ---
      gill
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Being on the Dot by Pema Chodron

      When we hear about compassion, it naturally brings up working with others, caring for others. The reason we're often not there for others--whether for our child or our mother or someone who is insulting us or someone who frightens us--is that we're not there for ourselves. There are whole parts of ourselves that are so unwanted that whenever they begin to come up we run away.

      Because we escape, we keep missing being right here, being right on the dot. We keep missing the moment we're in. Yet if we can experience the moment we're in, we discover that it is unique, precious, and completely fresh. It never happens twice. One can appreciate and celebrate each moment--there's nothing more sacred. There's nothing more vast or absolute. In fact, there's nothing more!

      Only to the degree that we've gotten to know our personal pain, only to the degree that we've related with pain at all, will we be fearless enough, brave enough, and enough of a warrior to be willing to feel the pain of others. To that degree we will be able to take on the pain of others because we will have discovered that their pain and our own pain are not different.

      Although it is embarrassing and painful, it is very healing to stop hiding from yourself. It is healing to know all the ways that you're sneaky, all the ways that you hide out, all the ways that you shut down, deny, close off, criticize people, all your weird little ways. You can know all that with some sense of humor and kindness. By knowing yourself, you're coming to know humanness altogether. We are all up against these things. We are all in this together.

      From Start Where You Are.

      Breathing Room

      What can we do but keep on breathing in and out, modest and willing,
      and in our places? ~Mary Oliver

      We all need breathing room. A place where we can go to be recharged.
      For me, that room is on the inside. It cannot be located on a GPS. It
      is inside of us that peace descends and no where else.

      After my daughter's cancer came back for the second time, she had to
      have it removed — once again from her right leg. More...It was a
      malignant tumor known as rhabdomyosarcoma, a big word to be destroying
      such a tiny person. She was almost six when this recurrence came about.

      I remember it as if it were yesterday. My minister friend Dan and I
      were in the hospital chapel and I was able to practically scream out:
      "It just isn't fair... I can't stand it!" She recovered from surgery
      and had radiation. Then, she was given six months to a year to live. I
      wept as I spoke to someone at St. Jude's (Laurie was getting her
      treatments in Atlanta). "Having a child with cancer makes strong
      people weak and breaks weak people." True enough.

      So how did I find breathing room during those years? I went inside. I
      journalled, recorded my dreams, studied esoteric philosophies.
      Yogananda became my friend, as he has been to many others. Joel
      Goldsmith influenced me to a great extent as well as other spiritual
      healers and teachers. Now when I sit in the silence, that silence is
      my breathing space.

      One fine day Laurie had to up and leave us. She had been in a coma for
      a few days. But the day before she died, she woke up. I was at home
      and her father told me about this. She sat up in bed and said, "What
      day is this?" What time is it?" and soon was comatose again. The next
      day she died in my arms.

      How do you find breathing space after a little child has died?

      I am not sure I can tell you in words. I imagine you are with me as
      you read this account. You can probably feel the hot tears plopping
      into the cart as I wheeled her belongings from that hospital room. As
      I told her older brother,"...Laurie died today." The world stopped.
      How was I to breathe again?

      I let something else breathe for me; all of those teachings were
      inhales and exhales of the spirit. Now I can tell you that the world
      never stops — it just feels like it does. Many who knew Laurie
      abandoned me when she died. They couldn't take it. But the teachings
      were there for me when human beings couldn't be.

      This is a world filled with fear and illusion. If you don't know that,
      you will learn it soon enough. My daughter, at the age of five, knew
      the joy of transcendence. She came into the world with it. I credit
      her with pushing me into a higher atmosphere, where God breathes for
      me when I cannot do it for myself. Someone said that thank you is the
      only prayer that you will ever need.

      I write to remember that.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.vickiwoodyard.com