#3225 - Saturday, July 12, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3225, Saturday, July 12, 2008

      It is important to remember that these meditations are not puzzles to be solved, coded messages to be "figured out" or vitamins to be swallowed whole, rather they are on the order of tasty treats to be held gently in one's intuitive heart and allowed to melt. From such simple moments great Understanding is sometimes revealed.

      - Wayne Liquorman

      This talk of personal self and universal self is the learner's stage; go beyond, do not be stuck in duality.

      If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thru' narrow chinks of his cavern.

      - William Blake

      Sometimes I feel like a king,
      sometimes I moan in my own prison.
      Swaying between these states
      I can't be proud of myself.
      This "I" is a figment of my imagination.

      - Rumi, translation by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi Rumi: Whispers of the Beloved, posted to Sunlight

      You cannot possibly say that you are what you think yourself to be! Your ideas about yourself change from day to day, and moment to moment. Your self-image is the most changeful thing you have. It is utterly vulnerable, at the mercy of a passer-by. To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not. The clearer you understand that on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker you will come to the end of your search and realize your limitless being.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      So the belief in the existence of a separate self and our identity with that is the root of the problem. But eventually you come round to asking if the limited self that we have been taking ourselves to be is real or even present. If it is real, then we should be able to find it. So where is it? What is it actually? You come to see that all suffering is based on a cause which, upon investigation is found to be completely non-existent. Seeing this, all possible doubts and questions are undermined and cannot survive. Simultaneously, you come to see that you are inseparable from that natural state of presence-awareness which is inherently free, whole and complete. Nothing or no one can shake you from this understanding. It is the fact of your being, and you are that.

      - John Wheeler