#3220 - Monday, July 7, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      #3220 - Monday, July 7, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      -

      The true task of spiritual life
      is not found in faraway places
      or unusual states of consciousness.
      It is here in the present.
      It asks of us a welcoming spirit
      to greet all that life presents to us
      with a wise, respectful, and kindly heart.
      We can bow to both beauty and suffering,
      to our entanglements and confusion,
      to our fears and to the injustices of the world.
      Honoring the truth in this way is the path to freedom.

      --Jack Kornfield

      Don't cling to anything and don't reject anything.
      Let come what comes, and accomodate yourself to that, whatever it is.
      If good mental images arise, that is fine.
      If bad mental images arise, that is fine, too.
      Look on all of it as equal, and make yourself comfortable with whatever happens.
      Don't fight with what you experience, just observe it all mindfully.

      --Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, "Mindfulness in Plain English"

      Life and death as nirvana.

      Don't be picky, don't choose this or that.
      However comfortable your life is,
      right now at this moment,
      I know some of you have pain.

      Whatever painful situation you are involved in,
      consider that as the very life of the Buddha,
      the very state of nirvana itself,
      and be it.

      Just live that life.

      It doesn't matter whether it is

      life of hell,
      life of the hungry ghost,
      life of the animal.

      It's okay.

      Just live that life, see.

      And as matter of fact,
      no other way.

      Where you stand,
      where you are

      that's what your life is

      right there,
      regardless of how painful it is,
      or how enjoyable it is.

      That's what it is.

      That condition never continues forever.

      You can even say it changes completely

      in less than a second.

      This life, death.

      --Taizan Maezumi

      posted by Bob O'Hearn

      Fresh Perception

      When we trust with our open heart, whatever occurs, at the very moment that it occurs, can be perceived as fresh and unstained by the clouds of hope and fear. Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche used the phrase "first thought, best thought" to refer to the first moment of fresh perception, before the colorful and coloring clouds of judgement and personal interpretation take over.

      "First thought" is "best thought" because it has not yet got covered over by all our opinions and interpretations, our hopes and fears, our likes and dislikes. It is direct perception of the world as it is. Sometimes we discover "first thought, best thought" by relaxing into the present in a very simple way.

      --Jeremy Hayward

      Eight photos by Alan Larus

      http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/Beach_at_flo.html