#3192 - Monday, June 9, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2008
      #3192 - Monday, June 9, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights -

      If you're wise, be foolish.
      If you can see, squint.

      Though you can hear, sit
      dumb as an old rock.

      Whatever anyone says,
      listen and agree.

      This is a friendly practice,
      and it leads to some truth.

                         - Lalla
                          14th Century North Indian mystic

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to Along the Way

      Chuang Tzu: "Unawareness of one's feet is the mark of shoes that fit, unawareness of right and wrong is the mark of a mind at ease. . . . The moment a centipede becomes conscious of his seventeenth or twenty-third pair of legs he cannot move any more. . . . As fish forget themselves in water, so should men forget themselves in Tao."

      - Paul Brunton
      — Notebooks Category 25: World-Mind in Individual Mind > Chapter 2: Enlightenment Which Stays > # 91
      Mark Scorelle to Wisdom-l

      From 'Choosing Peace' by Pema Chodron

      Let's say you're having a conversation with someone. You're one with the whole situation. You're open and receptive and there and interested. Then there is a little shenpa pulling-away, a kind of uneasy feeling in the stomach-which we usually don't notice-and then comes our big thought. We are suddenly verbalizing to ourselves, "How am I looking here? Did I just say something stupid? Am I too fat? That was a stupid thing to say, wasn't it, and I am too fat ... :'

      Some thought or other causes us to split off, and before we know it we're completely self- absorbed. We're probably not even hearing the words of the person we're conversing with, because we have retreated into a bubble of self-absorption. That's splitting off. That's dividing in two.

      The Buddha taught about this basic split as the birth of dualism, the birth of self versus other, of me versus you. It happens moment after moment. When we start out, we are "one- with." We have a sense of our interconnectedness, though we might not use that fancy word. We're simply listening and there. And then, split! We pull back into our own worry or concern or even our own elation. Somehow we're no longer together. Now it's more about me and self, rather than them and other. By contrast, being "one-with" is neither about other nor about self. It's just totally open, present, there.

      Published in Shambala Sun, November 2007

      --- gill
      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Alan Larus Photography

      more photos at links

      Ivan Interviewed

      Ivan M. Granger May 30th, 2008

      If you’re interested in my thoughts on sacred poetry, how I ended up on this path, or if you’re just curious what my voice sounds like, you may want to listen to an interview I did recently with the Ecstatic Art & Theater Project. They are an excellent organization that explores and encourages the sacred/transcendent/ecstatic in art and theater.

      Ecstatic Art & Theater Project

      Online Newsletter focusing on sacred poetry.

      Audio Interview (20 min). [ http://www.ecstaticproject.org/ivan.mp3 ]

      I’d love to hear your comments on the interview, either via email or through the blog. So please let me know what you thought after listening.

      New on the Poetry Chaikhana Blog