#3186 - Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008
      #3186 - Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      A new CD release from Bill East
      Sound Samples From What Am I Really.com
      Go to http://whatamireally.com/index.php?func=music and click the titles below to download a free .mp3:
      One Hundred Million
      Is There Anything Appearing Anywhere
      Am I Imagining That I'm Doing Something
      Are All My Problems Based On The Assumption
      "The I thought, the You thought,
      the Me thought, the Body
      which has no power of it's own,
      which has no independent nature,
      which could not exist
      without the presence of awareness,
      is believed to be
      the Self-Identity, the True-Identity,
      the Self-Center, the Reference Point.
      Why? Because it is not questioned.
      These songs question it."

      - Bill East

      by John Levy

      Reviewed by Rodney Stevens

      I have long been curious about The Nature of Man According to The Vedanta. I first heard about it nearly a decade ago when I was still reading the works of Jean Klein, Rene Guenon, and Paul Brunton. Then Levy's name began to pop up more often five or six years later when I was attempting (with mixed success) to examine the writings of author's teacher, the Indian sage Krishna Menon (1883-1959).

      I found precious little about Levy--who died in 1976--on the Web, and Amazon had only one "customer review" of his book. But having finally received and read my 110-page review copy, I can report that it doesn't disappoint. In the autobiographical Preface, Levy speaks of finding--after years of spiritual exploration--"the solution" in nondual Vedanta. He beautifully notes that through this experiential teaching, you come to see "that you have only to become aware of what you actually are, that is to say, absolute consciousness..."

      In thirty concise chapters, the author details how everything from the ego and the waking/sleeping/ dreaming states to memory and the concepts of space and time make their appearance in Presence. He even has a chapter on "Absurd Questions," where he addresses the inanity of queries about the origin of the world and the orgin of personal identification in pure awareness. Levy justly asserts that rather than focusing on these speculative issues, we should turn our "undivided attention to the fundamental problem, 'What am I?' Once this has been solved, all lesser problems will have also been solved."

      More often than not, Levy's prose is direct and accessible. But when he is weighing in on such highbrow matters as the "Physiological Aspect of Tridimensionality" and "The Restitution of the Self," his writing can be a tad dry. Still, his pointing is singular and true, leveling always, as it does, on awareness itself.

      Over the decades, The Nature of Man According to the Vedanta has duly become a quiet classic in nondual literature. And its acclaim is deserved, given its breath of topics, its mostly straight-forward prose, and--of course--its truth about Truth.

      THE NATURE OF MAN ACCORDING TO THE VEDANTA can be ordered directly from the publisher (http://www.sentientpublications.com/catalog/nature_of_man.php ) or at the following Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Man-According-Vedanta/dp/1591810248

      Rodney Stevens--who lives in South Carolina and who awakened through the books of John Wheeler--can be contacted for talks and workshops at: writerguy@...

      Nondualism: A New Experiment in Living
      by Michael Morrow
      Modern humans are currently searching desperately for a new model of understanding that will unite science, philosophy, education and the arts. We are making grand leaps in the sciences in terms of understanding the complex systems of life, known as “dynamical systems”, “complexity theory”, etc. Science is also looking at “string theory” that is trying to find an underlying unity to all living systems. Movements such as ‘sustainability’ are looking into sane ways to live on this earth in a balanced way. In philosophy, the ‘perennial philosophies’ have come to be more fully understood and they are also searching for a unification of all philosophies of life. To date, we do not have a comprehensive model or set of models that combine the interior and exterior of complex living systems. This book is revealing one such model, ‘biological non-dualism’ that combines the best of science, philosophy, and education - although it will just be a beginning ‘blueprint.’ This process combines biology and ecology with a deep understanding of ‘depth metaphysics.’ If correctly understood this could help revolutionize modern thought and bring deep healing to the individual, the society and the globe at large. This is not the only new model to appear, but it will certainly be one of the most important, if carefully studied with an open mind and heart. Number of pages:436
      About the Author:
      Michael D. Morrow is an educator, philosopher, ecologically oriented landscape architect and urban planner. He holds two degrees: Bachelor of Science in landscape architecture from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California (magna-cum-laude); and a Post-professional Masters Degree from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. During this time he studied with Lynn Margulis the famous microbiologist who developed the GAIA hypothesis. He also has taught at both of these universities along with Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. His academic specialty is ecology applied to land planning and he has been one of the early visionaries in the field of ‘Sustainability.’

      Printed Edition Price: $26.95
      Download Price: $9.95